When was the last time that we had a position coach or coordinator hired away for a promotion

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That we had a position coach or coordinator hired away for a promotion? (Apart from Todd Bowles)

I've always felt our coaching staff's have been sub far or has beens and with so many young up and comers joining the staff, and with many of them being hired away from other teams, it got me wondering when we last had that happen to us?

I can't think of a sinlge example of someone saying "We really like your X position coach to be our OC".

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Fitzsimmons, the Cardinals’ assistant special teams coach, left to take a similar role with the Panthers and new head coach Frank Reich.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It doesn't fit his argument, I guess. :shrug:

"No one ever hires away our coaches (not counting the most notable guy that was hired away)."
Yeah, not to mention that Kitchens & Reich both got HC jobs not long after leaving our staff, with Leftwich also becoming an OC.

He set his parameters before posting. Why would it upset/concern you?
If the discussion is that our coaching staffs have been too subpar to attract talent elsewhere, this kind of stuff disproves it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Burke went from our DLine coach to being the DC in Houston.

Greg Williams went from our Cornerbacks coach to the Defense's Passing Game Coordinator of the Packers.

Secondary coach Marcus Robertson went to the Saints.

Tight ends coach Steve Heiden went to Detroit.

OLB coach Charlie Bullen went to Illinois (college) as well.

Promotions and/or lateral moves long before knowing whether VJ would be back or not.

I think there was another around the time of Burke, too.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA's staff was a bunch of old guys who wouldn't be considered for positions elsewhere on their age alone. We all wished that our ST coach at the time, Amos Jones, would just leave. He was awful.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin Fitzsimmons, the Cardinals’ assistant special teams coach, left to take a similar role with the Panthers and new head coach Frank Reich.

He's still an assistant though. I'm looking for promotions. Guys that were on our staff that were hired to step up elsewhere.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't fit his argument, I guess. :shrug:

"No one ever hires away our coaches (not counting the most notable guy that was hired away)."

There is no argument. I excluded Todd Bowles because he's obvious and I would have got 10 replies of "Todd Bowles".

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, not to mention that Kitchens & Reich both got HC jobs not long after leaving our staff, with Leftwich also becoming an OC.

If the discussion is that our coaching staffs have been too subpar to attract talent elsewhere, this kind of stuff disproves it.

Was the question too complicated?

Why would I be interested in people we let go and ergo did not want to employ anymore?

I'll give you Matt Burke. He was promoted and still on staff here. Kitchens and Reich were not.

The question was not loaded I was simply trying to discover any guys that were hired off our staff to be promoted elsewhere like the dozen or so we seen to be hiring just that way.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**thread title changed to make it contextual and not click bait**

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not directly from, but both Teryl Austin, DC, with Pittsburgh and Mike Caldwell, with Jacksonville, have AZ on their resumé.

Caldwell did get a promotion when he left AZ to join Bowles with the Jets.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another question is...
When was the last time a guy was groomed here hired away?