Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Breaking Amish

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize that most of you guys don't watch EITHER of these shows, but I am throwing it out there anyway.

What show do you think is worse? Teen Mom or Breaking Amish? Teen Mom is about teenagers that get pregnant and Breaking Amish is about Amish teens/young adults that have a "reprieve" from their religious beliefs for a short time.

I've watched the Amish show twice while falling asleep. She records Teen Mom. Not that that matters.

My sister says the Amish is a cult. I say no one should glorify teen pregnancy. Most people would probably say that she and I should not drink wine and have a Monday off from work.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teen Mom. It drives me nuts that some of these girls are now famous because they got knocked up at age 16. I know it shows some of the hardships young moms face, but still.

I watched Breaking Amish as it was entertaining at first. BUt then I read all over the internet that it was majorly fake (like even beyond typical fake reality tv). Those kids were out of the Amish world for years (some even had kids, were married) and they portrayed it like there were just now leaving the Amish.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I realize that most of you guys don't watch EITHER of these shows, but I am throwing it out there anyway.

What show do you think is worse? Teen Mom or Breaking Amish? Teen Mom is about teenagers that get pregnant and Breaking Amish is about Amish teens/young adults that have a "reprieve" from their religious beliefs for a short time.

I've watched the Amish show twice while falling asleep. She records Teen Mom. Not that that matters.

My sister says the Amish is a cult. I say no one should glorify teen pregnancy. Most people would probably say that she and I should not drink wine and have a Monday off from work.

I've never seen Teen Mom but I watched part of one episode of Breaking Amish as my Dad's side of the family was/is Amish.

They were so annoying I had to turn if off. I did look up the show on Wikipedia. The youngest "cast" member is 21. Rumspringa (when they can do what they want among the English and decide if they want to stay Amish) is at 16. So that told me all I needed to know for authenticity. And one is Mennonite. They aren't the same. Though I did enjoy listening to a couple of them because they had the "sound".

If the Amish are a cult, they do a lousy job of keeping their members. You can leave when you are 16. Whether or not you're shunned depends on the group of Amish you belong to. My dad wasn't Amish but he was raised right along with them. His grandfather, who left the Amish, wasn't shunned when he left. His sausage making skills were too extraordinary. :)

p.s. If you like cheese, try the Baby Swiss from Holmes County, OH. It's a traditional Amish cheese and yummy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, lol.

Yeah, like I said, I have only seen the Amish show when falling asleep. (Kinda helps with the insomnia, lol.)

I can see your point, Dems. Seems like just another network trying to capitalize on yet another "reality" show. I doubt my sister really thinks Amish is a cult. (Wine drinking makes for some lame arguments sometimes.) Being from South Jersey, we traveled up to Lancaster and the Pennsylvania Dutch country many times when we were young. (Was even in Plain & Fancy in high school, lol.) Interesting how I was just always very accepting of their culture, religion, lifestyle, what have you. Guess that's what exposure to a culture does.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being from South Jersey, we traveled up to Lancaster and the Pennsylvania Dutch country many times when we were young. (Was even in Plain & Fancy in high school, lol.) Interesting how I was just always very accepting of their culture, religion, lifestyle, what have you. Guess that's what exposure to a culture does.

That's pretty cool. :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So happy I have no idea what either of these horrible sounding shows are.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teen Mom. Amber from the first season is in Jail for a long time. Got caught getting public assistance with like 200K in the bank made from MTV. They have to pretend to be poor even though they are making a good living being on the show.

At least the Amish show lets them experience things they may not have otherwise. Like a social experiment.

As TMZ first reported, while Portwood was still rotting in jail, a rental company sued her for eviction after they discovered she lied about her "low-income" (she made $280K in 2010) ... which disqualified her from their subsidized government housing.

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/68600322.html?thread=11906593794#ixzz2CEWx2Rki

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
the amish show is just horribly scripted ... there are some decent looks at amish life, the break from the organization, etc ...... this isn't one of them

it's more amish gone wild with some heavy handed producers

teen mom is also far off from reality ...... I'd love to see a real teen mom where they just shadow a group of pregnant teens until their kids are out of the house ... that could at least be interesting, but this stuff isn't

circling back to the amish, i'm from an area with a lot of them ... generally I had no issues with them - although the puppy mills are absolutely disgusting

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Breaking Amish because it's all a lie. This is not the first time these kids have been out of the ordnung. It's also not the first time these kids have been involved with members of the opposite sex. The darker skinned girl, who is a Mennonite, was/is married. The blond girl and the guy who "likes her" have been a couple for years and even have a child together. The whole show is a sham. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2232492/MORE-Breaking-Amish-bombshells-cast-member-confirms-divorced-mother--pair-reveal-drunken-sex-session.html

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teen mom. Having been one, I see no reason to have any show make it seem like it's "cool".