What's the deal with training camp in Flag?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Penny pinching or shrewd business and the reason why these guys are so freaking rich. Is it penny pinching to get the tax payers to pay for your stadium as well, yet every team under the sun gets it. Is it penny pinching to get tax breaks if you move your warehouse or fabricating facility to a certain county, yet business's do it all the time.

Such is the life of rich arse business/famous peeps, asking for and then getting things for free. Its just the way of the world.

Yeah, they don't get rich or stay rich by giving it away. When you have the money you make them meet your terms not the other way around.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, they don't get rich or stay rich by giving it away. When you have the money you make them meet your terms not the other way around.

Steve

Our value system in this country is so f'ed up. Pretty amazing how so few can control so many, and people just meekly accept it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our value system in this country is so f'ed up. Pretty amazing how so few can control so many, and people just meekly accept it.

I don't know that we have much choice but to accept it, meekly or otherwise. I wish it weren't so but I've never seen a workable plan for the distribution of wealth that struck me as reasonable.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know that we have much choice but to accept it, meekly or otherwise. I wish it weren't so but I've never seen a workable plan for the distribution of wealth that struck me as reasonable.

Steve

Yep, it's a major problem with no simple solution. Ben and Jerry's had a cool operating structure for a time:

"Ben & Jerry's used to have a policy that no employee's rate of pay shall exceed seven times that of entry-level employees. In 1995, entry-level employees were paid $8 hourly, and the highest paid employee was President and Chief Operating Officer Chuck Lacey, who earned $150,000 annually."

Anyway, not to get too P and R, but plutocracies rarely last in the long term.

snowthedirtbub

Veteran
Reaction score
Penny pinching or shrewd business and the reason why these guys are so freaking rich. Is it penny pinching to get the tax payers to pay for your stadium as well, yet every team under the sun gets it. Is it penny pinching to get tax breaks if you move your warehouse or fabricating facility to a certain county, yet business's do it all the time.

Such is the life of rich arse business/famous peeps, asking for and then getting things for free. Its just the way of the world.

Tax cuts is not nearly the same as building a stadium for a team. Good for Glendale, I find it hard to believe a near billion dollar company can't fund a parking garage, its not like the city pf Glendale is rolling in the dough and can afford such an endeavor.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Tax cuts is not nearly the same as building a stadium for a team. Good for Glendale, I find it hard to believe a near billion dollar company can't fund a parking garage, its not like the city pf Glendale is rolling in the dough and can afford such an endeavor.

:thumbup: thank you!

The Cards chose to leave Flagstaff, now they want the people of Glendale to build them a garage...pure cheap ass IMO.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I only went to camp in Flag once, but I loved it and was thinking of making a special trip out this summer to go. Spring training for football: perfect for Arizona. They should have invested in something special rather than try to freeload an addition to a facility that was handed to them already.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It's going to end up at the Tempe facility because the Cards are going to run out of time. Great planning, Michael!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
:thumbup: thank you!

The Cards chose to leave Flagstaff, now they want the people of Glendale to build them a garage...pure cheap ass IMO.

Cards did not choose to leave Flag, Flag or NAU choose to put forth some of the worst conditions available for the players and coaches compared to the training camps of 95% of the rest of the NFL. Fans liked it, but for players and coaches the facilities were pure crap. I know first hand from players, coaches, and scouts who have either come here from somewhere else or have left for somewhere else who all thought the facilities at Flagstaff were laughable.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards did not choose to leave Flag, Flag or NAU choose to put forth some of the worst conditions available for the players and coaches compared to the training camps of 95% of the rest of the NFL. Fans liked it, but for players and coaches the facilities were pure crap. I know first hand from players, coaches, and scouts who have either come here from somewhere else or have left for somewhere else who all thought the facilities at Flagstaff were laughable.

For discussions sake, haven't those conditions been that way since the Cards starting training in Flag? Why haven't Cards cared about and done something about before now?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

It is without a doubt the same, just not on the same level. But the point remains the same, its the rich getting free crap or getting discounts when they don't need it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
For discussions sake, haven't those conditions been that way since the Cards starting training in Flag? Why haven't Cards cared about and done something about before now?

Because they were morons. When they first came to AZ they didn't even have a plan in place to get a stadium, they took the word of a politician and didn't get it in writing. So when they got here it was their only option. Not exactly the pantheon of foresight when they made the move and that lack of foresight they still have a bit of. I mean you would think a deal should have been nailed down by now. Gene Stallings and Bugel absolutely hated it according to Jurecki. Plus their contract didn't end until this past year. Not sure how long ago that deal was reached though.

OP
OP
jw7

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to end up at the Tempe facility because the Cards are going to run out of time. Great planning, Michael!!!

You can't have training camp outside when it is 110 plus degrees. That really sucks for the players.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I think the parking garage is an issue, not just the Cards asking for free stuff :

The city (glendale) is required to provide 6,000 parking spaces at Westgate City Center for games and other stadium events under an agreement with the team and sports authority.

The team and the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, which owns the dome, raised red flags and eventually threatened to sue the city for $67 million when construction of an outlet mall began on a stretch of land near Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue that provided about 3,200 game-day parking spots.

"We found a short-term solution," he said. "Ultimately, what we are looking for is a long-term solution so there is a constant for a parking plan one year to the next."

So, I think the Cards are trying to get a long term solution for the parking problem and not just asking for a free garage.

There was no problem, until Glendale broke the agreement and allowed a outlet mall to go up in the Cards parking area.

Glendale tried to fix the problem when they were trying to get a new Hockey team owner, by including the building of a new garage in the Hockey deal. Of course, all the Hockey deals fell thru and Glendale still owes 3200 gameday spaces.

chickenhead

Reaction score

Seriously--that's my question, too. And furthermore, you're an NFL team complaining that the dorms at the state's smallest university are subpar? Forbes values your franchise at close to a billion dollars and yet you've always acted like the city and the universities that have hosted you owe you more? Meanwhile you're one of only two NFL teams to move cities twice (and the other one only moved to St Louis after you moved out) with only one Super Bowl appearance to show for it?

If you don't actually want to train in Flagstaff, then fine. But don't say it's because you're not getting a good enough deal or the university needs to provide you with better accommodations. If you want better accommodations in Flagstaff, you can make it happen. The idea that Flagstaff was great for the (ticket-buying) fans but not for the players bugs me. Why not make it better for the players up there, rather than worse for the fans?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
You can't have training camp outside when it is 110 plus degrees. That really sucks for the players.

Remember the days when that would have been considered "building character"? Yeah, that was dumb.

I've read some reports that say the Cards are "breaking ground" on a construction project at the team facility. Can't find any detail on the project though. Maybe it is a practice bubble?

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

One of the articles linked in this thread had a comment by a reader that the Cards are building a bubble (right now) in Tempe.

Anyone know if that's true? It's long over-due IMHO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard