What's next for Cam Payne and Shamet?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's bad. It'd be worse if we still had a penny pinching owner. His production doesn't warrant more than the MLE.
Yeah, I don't get the Payne hate. He was playing just fine this year before he got hurt, and he is 3 times the player Saben Lee is.

Shamet bad contract. I curious to see what happens with him and Ross on the team. Kind of close in roles and output. Ross will be better imo.

Payne very good contract. He's definitely better than Lee and Lee. Right now my judgement is clouded on Okogie's hot streak and a versus with the two.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet bad contract. I curious to see what happens with him and Ross on the team. Kind of close in roles and output. Ross will be better imo.

Payne very good contract. He's definitely better than Lee and Lee. Right now my judgement is clouded on Okogie's hot streak and a versus with the two.
Okogie can fill so many roles. Total utility player.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I see Cam Payne dancing pre-game when he comes back, I hope we unload him. I don't want guys dancing pre-game. I want guys focused on the game plan and what they have to do that night. I also think it influences Ayton. If Ayton's teammates are goofing off, Ayton will goof off. If Ayton's teammates are laser focused, Ayton will be laser focused.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet has been a surprisingly good defender and randomly will wow you athletically… but 4 nights in 5 he is a minus on offense.

The contract isn’t a killer but it’s bad.

Maybe a boatload of open looks will restore his shot… but I feel like most of his looks were already open ones.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet has been a surprisingly good defender and randomly will wow you athletically… but 4 nights in 5 he is a minus on offense.

The contract isn’t a killer but it’s bad.

Maybe a boatload of open looks will restore his shot… but I feel like most of his looks were already open ones.
When he plays I'd say his contract is better than bad but not good. But given his bench minutes you expect him to be available almost every night and that hasn't been the case, which moves that contract to bad territory AFAIC.

OP
OP
wagonmound464

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
Cam Payne vs Hornets >> 15min ... 5pts > 2-6 ... 1-3 > 3pt attempts

Cam Payne vs Bucks >> 8 min ....2pts > 1-7 ... 0-2 > 3pt attemps

Valuable? 23 minutes >> 3 for 13 .... keep firing Cam

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Sure, let's just mention stats from two lousy games and act like that's solid ground to stand on

As with every player, it's going to take time to come back from the injury, especially in Payne's case when coming back to an entirely new roster - this is ridiculous - two freakin games??

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can we stop telling asfn members, people with short memories, and each other that they suck. Stop making it personal.

Geez

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne vs Hornets >> 15min ... 5pts > 2-6 ... 1-3 > 3pt attempts

Cam Payne vs Bucks >> 8 min ....2pts > 1-7 ... 0-2 > 3pt attemps

Valuable? 23 minutes >> 3 for 13 .... keep firing Cam
Yeah, Like Book has never had 2 bad games in a row, or any NBA player for that matter.

He is just coming back from injury. It takes awhile for him to get in a groove.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Can we stop telling asfn members, people with short memories, and each other that they suck. Stop making it personal.

Geez
lol I swear I edited my post trying to to un-personalize it sorry if it still comes off that way

OP
OP
wagonmound464

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
Coming back off a long injury recovery and not being 99% ready,,,,,he should stay on the
end of the bench in street clothes. I don't hate him, or anyone here, I just don't think he
is an asset for the Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even Book hasn’t been hot starting games lately. Give Payne some time, meaningful minutes and he’ll settle back into his groove. It doesn’t help that he has new faces and new rotations to play with.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even Book hasn’t been hot starting games lately. Give Payne some time, meaningful minutes and he’ll settle back into his groove. It doesn’t help that he has new faces and new rotations to play with.
Yeah that is quite an adjustment to a player coming back.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coming back off a long injury recovery and not being 99% ready,,,,,he should stay on the
end of the bench in street clothes. I don't hate him, or anyone here, I just don't think he
is an asset for the Suns.
Well, I don't know how you have come to that conclusion but I completely disagree. The only thing that makes sense to me is you just haven't seen him when he is playing well.

He is probably the best guy we have outside the starting 5 that can single handedly get us back in a game.

He is really our only bench player that has the ability to create his own shot and cause a defense problems, other than perhaps Warren.

Without him, we don't get by the Lakers in the playoffs a couple years ago, and probably not the Clippers either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne, with all his inconsistencies, is among the best backup point guards in the league.

If he plays like he did in the playoffs last year... it's a problem, he was playing awful and given too long a leash, in the 2021 playoffs though, he was a major factor in our success.

OP
OP
wagonmound464

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
Against the Bulls,,, 17 minutes, 2-8.... 2-7 3 pt shots > 6 pts

After 3 games, 5 for 21. He does bring the ball up court fast,,,,but for the minutes given???

I hope you guys who favor him, I wish him good luck. Good thing his contract is small....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne, with all his inconsistencies, is among the best backup point guards in the league.

If he plays like he did in the playoffs last year... it's a problem, he was playing awful and given too long a leash, in the 2021 playoffs though, he was a major factor in our success.
He was. He hasn't been consistent enough to be called one of the best since before the playoffs last season. We have not had that Cam Payne for some time now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

After 3 games, 5 for 21. He does bring the ball up court fast,,,,but for the minutes given???

I hope you guys who favor him, I wish him good luck. Good thing his contract is small....

I hope ChatGPT doesn't study your punctuation.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I don't think anyone really "favors" him, but as fans atm we have to stand behind him.
He's what we got and that ain't likely to change anytime soon. Give him a few to get back in the flow and think of the next 18 games as practice for him.
Or maybe someone else takes his spot.

Cam Payne is the least of our problems, I'm more worried about bone density and liver spots. :p

At least he's not Ben Simons

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the game announcers during the Bulls game say Shamet returned early from the road trip for further evaluation of his injury.

I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't return this season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard the game announcers during the Bulls game say Shamet returned early from the road trip for further evaluation of his injury.

I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't return this season.

Yes I heard as well. Sounded like they can’t figure out what the root cause was and he’s still lingering.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I heard as well. Sounded like they can’t figure out what the root cause was and he’s still lingering.

If Shamet doesn't recover, it's a shame the Suns can't add another player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose