What the Hell was That?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Someone tell me.

My only thought throughout the game was that our players stink. We were getting beat in all aspects of a game, at home, against a crippled team, while playing for a playoff spot. Both our O and D lines were manhandled like I can't remember when. Our O line was shoved back into the backfield on every play that destroyed all angles of our run game. Our D line was moved around so badly their runners weren't even touched most plays until they were on the second level where our tackling was atrocious. Our offense seemed to never know when the ball was going to be hiked. Knowing we couldn't open a hole for our RBs, they were able to take away our short passes, leaving us no offense except to throw deep which Murray seemed totally incapable of doing. He played like something was terribly wrong with him. I wondered if he had a concussion during the game that no one noticed or something else. He just didn't seem to be in the game mentally.

I have no idea what all that was. Am I exaggerating, or seeing something different than what you all saw? It was like it was the first day of practice for everyone and in all aspects of the game. I don't even want to talk about KK, his play calling, or game decisions. We rehash that every week. After watching that game, it seems really clear that we don't have very good players, period. They stunk up the place like it was 1989.

We were discussing seriously last week where our greatest needs in the draft are and which 3 or 4 players and positions we need to improve at in the draft. Christ, I could count on less than two hands the number of players on this team that should be starting in this league. Our guys stink, offense and defense. That is all there is to it. How could one even argue against that?

I am perplexed. Putting our loyalties aside, we're really that bad, aren't we?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No you’re not wrong, we are what we are and that is very average. I could as a team laying a turd game like this in week six or so, but not week 15 with playoffs on the line. SF wanted it more and it showed. One thing that is clear to me as this year went on is: 1) We are a very soft team 2) we don’t have a killer instinct 3) we have no player leadership on game day. 4) we are a slow team at Wr, Rb, Lb.

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
Except for DHop and Reddick, the rest of the players stink. I was totally fooled into thinking this team were contenders when they beat a healthy niners team in week 1. I have no idea how they pulled that off. As the season went on obviously they were exposed as mediocre at best and their soon to be 8-8 record clearly reflects that. I also really had high hopes for KM but now I'm in agreement with those here that insist he isn't the answer and will never be good enough to win a championship. Since this year's qb draft class looks pretty loaded and I think we might be in the position to get someone like Zach Wilson or Mac Jones. And I don't care that Murray's only been here for two seasons, this team ditched Rosen after only 1 which turned out to be a smart move.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah the Cardinals got abused on the LOS all night - both sides. It's really that simple.

I wouldn't put too much on Murray because he was running for his life on every play.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that one of those on our C was pretty ridiculous. All I could see him doing was looking right and left once.
One was ridiculous & probably the one you're talking about? Cole is a bum at the center position & Gaillard needs to start.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Divisional games are just what they are, it doesn't matter the record of either team, especially when you already beat them once this season and swept them the last couple seasons. Look at Pittsburgh/Cincinnati. The Bengals (insert SF here) had no business winning that game as undermanned as they were yet they won.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our players do stink. We have a few good ones, and the rest are graded as pretty much the worst at their position in the NFL.

On offense we have Kyler, Hopkins, and Humphries. A solid trio, but everything else needs to be rebuilt around them.

On defense right now we have above average players in Budda, Reddick, and Simmons. Everybody else is graded horribly. Peterson, Kirkpatrick, Hicks, Campbell, Blackson, Fotu, Phillips are all graded as some of the very worst in the NFL. We have serious talent issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
It just looked like the entire team, especially both the OL and DL want this season over with and do not care about the playoffs. There seemed there was absolutely no game planning. SF plan for this game was great, run, run, exploit the edges; because the Cardinals can not defend the edges. The SF defensive plan worked to perfection.
Cardinals were just completely dominated.
The special teams played well.
Big changes have to be made on the offensive line, Cole and Sweezy have to go. definitely need some beef up front.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Games like this are part of the process for bad teams trying to be better. We struggle vs physical fronts, and that is something you can never look past. We also fail to recognize how teams get up for division games. This was youth and inexperience on display. They will either learn of they won't.

We definitely missed Chandler and Corey Peters on defense.

We need a more vocal leader on offense or Kyler to take a step up in that area.

Our coaches need to figure out a way to clean up the mistakes.

I personally think we are on track. I get why many believe we aren't. Only time will tell.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at those WR grades it’s easy to see now why our offense can’t move the ball some games . We need an overhaul at the WR position and I don’t trust SK to pick WRs

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This team needs a serious injection of speed at WR, RB, LB.

Why stop now, we need a thumper at RB, and a total infusion of toughness and attitude from the top on down. If we are going to lose games I want the other team to feel it for days after. That is the culture I want.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Definitely need a thumper at RB. Once every team realizes we can't and won't run up the middle on 3rd or 4th and 1 and the only play we can assume will work is Murray faking to the RB and taking off around the edge, they will all just play to stop that. That is why, even though we have so many needs, I wish we would just go ahead and solve our weak RB problem by drafting Najee Harris with our 1st pick. Nothing is sadder than not being able to get 1 yard when you need it.

Also as someone else mentioned, I was thinking just yesterday that our WRs must be really slow and/or are horrible route runners. Sad knowing how much we have spent on WRs in the draft recently. Keim just has to go if we are to get very good. It feels like the Clippers keeping Elgin Baylor as their GM for so dang long when it was apparent they could never get any better.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah people keep bitching KM won’t stay or move up into the pocket... lol our a Oline is atrocious and there is rarely a pocket! Probably pretty tough to trust your line when your running for your life or getting hit in a second. This team has KM and Nuk on offense that’s pretty much it and that’s an issue. We need a talent infusion and then need a coach who knows how to use it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the Cards get punched in the mouth they give up quickly. Why we have so much trouble with the Rams.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Coaching matters. Kliff & Vance didn’t have their respective units ready to play. Outside of a few guys, the team looked like zombies from start to finish :bang:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually think yesterday was more on the players than the coaches. Missed tackles, dropped passes, and mental errors are not on the coaches or at least not as much. Too many opportunities missed to think that the scheme was absolute garbage.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Coaching & players go hand in hand without a doubt. I still say coaching is more important than the players whatever the percentage is.

Kliff & Blowseph didn’t have either unit prepared imo.

how many times do we have to see that Vance can’t defend the Niners & Lambs offenses to see his scheme & coaching is a big problem against them? It’s maddening
I actually think yesterday was more on the players than the coaches. Missed tackles, dropped passes, and mental errors are not on the coaches or at least not as much. Too many opportunities missed to think that the scheme was absolute garbage.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at those WR grades it’s easy to see now why our offense can’t move the ball some games . We need an overhaul at the WR position and I don’t trust SK to pick WRs
It’s depressing to see Fitz graded lower than Kirk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Coaching & players go hand in hand without a doubt. I still say coaching is more important than the players whatever the percentage is.

Kliff & Blowseph didn’t have either unit prepared imo.

how many times do we have to see that Vance can’t defend the Niners & Lambs offenses to see his scheme & coaching is a big problem against them? It’s maddening
Again...when guys are open and drop passes and/or players are lined up to make tackles and miss them, that isn't scheme or preparation. Kliff and Vance (ugh, hate saying it) put their players in positions to make plays, but those players just crapped the bed.

Buckybird

Reaction score
We will just have to disagree on how well Kliff & Vance put their players in position to make plays. I’m tired of watching the Niners & Lambs torch our defense out of the same 3-4 formations & plays over and over. Wide open & easy peasy like stealing.

Did anyone notice that first Niners TD was the exact same play that went 80 yards in game #1 & in week 17 last season? Yep the same RB angle route. 3 damn times now. Is VJ coaching them to watch for it or is it just the players? It’s a broken damn record with different players each time:bang:
Again...when guys are open and drop passes and/or players are lined up to make tackles and miss them, that isn't scheme or preparation. Kliff and Vance (ugh, hate saying it) put their players in positions to make plays, but those players just crapped the bed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Generally on a player by player basis I’d agree. But (a) the team comes out listless to start games more often than not; and (b) the malaise seemed to permeate our entire team. When you see patterns that’s typically attributable to leadership. Coaching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave