What is Isabella's football IQ...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if you see Isabella score a TD on the route that Maxx Williams scored vs the Falcons. It is the perfect way to get him free and use his speed.
This is kinda what maybe my glass half full look is on what they are doing with him.. using him as a diversion early on and then unleashing him a little more later in the season to surprise some teams on film.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if you see Isabella score a TD on the route that Maxx Williams scored vs the Falcons. It is the perfect way to get him free and use his speed.
Well not really a stretch since he was wide open opposite of Maxx on that TD.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In all fairness..it makes just as much as sense as questioning his football iq does. Imo. We only know what we know...only inside Kingsburys mind lies the true answer... Everything else is just fun speculation. Now if by next year this is still the case... Different story imo

I'm just working the hex dscher... if I talk about him, he will probably do great to prove me wrong :)

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WR on the radar next year if you want to keep building the offense, Michael Pittman Jr.

Yes that Michael Pittman :cheers:
Remember that time they misspelled his name on the back of the jersey for a home game at SDS? I believe it said 'Pitmann'. Insanity.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
This isn't too difficult to figure out and in the end it is Kingsbury's fault. Kingsbury wanted a speed, gadget player. Unfortunately, Isabella struggles vs press coverage. The issue when we drafted him was how is he going to get on the field? He is a slot WR who struggles vs man on a team with a plethora of slot options. He was never beating out Fitz. He was never beating out Kirk. In order to counter this, Kingsbury gave Isabella reps from both the outside (so he could see the field) and the inside (so he could be best used). Well, Kirk got injured and the offense has morphed into more 11 and 12 personnel packages. This meant Isabella needed to be exclusively an outside player. Unfortunately he still can't figure out press coverage while Cooper and Byrd can. All of that to go with the mental and physical learning curve of transitioning to the NFL.

He is another guy who I am not sure will ever live up to where he selected but I really don't think he will end up being a true "bust". He just isn't better than the guys we have on our roster right now because our best WRs play the position he is best at, and our worst ones play spots where he needs the most coaching up.

The saddest part is that I saw at the Senior Bowl these struggles and how McLaurin was a better NFL prospect. I am shocked Keim didn't.

EDIT: I forgot to add that DJ is a better receiving option inside as well.

Do you think his best position will be in the slot? I would think there will be some snaps in the coming seasons for slot receivers when for retires. Presumably if KK is still coach and they are running 3-4 receiver formations.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isabella's issue is that he gets knocked off too easily on his routes and is a body catcher. He needs time to develop precision route running abilities.

Kyler is such a good thrower though, I dont think the bodycatching issue should be too bad

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'd be well-advised to stay with the facts, avoid speculation and "let the story come to us."

What we know is that the Cards drafted a thin-framed dude with freakish speed in the 2nd round, and - within the context of bringing in more talented receivers than they needed - aren't playing him anywhere near as much as expected.

Why? We know what K2 said about wanting to "phase him in." We can believe Kliff or merely chalk it up as coachspeak.

Period.

All else is conjecture, and we won't know the actual reason(s) until we do. (& eventually the facts will come out and we'll find out what the deal is).

Till then, why waste the energy?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do you think his best position will be in the slot? I would think there will be some snaps in the coming seasons for slot receivers when for retires. Presumably if KK is still coach and they are running 3-4 receiver formations.
Yes. He is better with space and struggles to create his own. People who said he could play outside pre-draft were really projecting.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The kid can't be productive if he's not being ultilized in the offense. Hell, even Larry only gets the ball once or twice a half sometimes. If you want answers ask Kliff or Murray instead of bagging on a kid who has no control if he's being targeted or not.

I would disagree he has no control. He has not proven himself in practice thus is not getting the game action. If he was lighting it up in practice you could bet the mortgage he would be put there playing alot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isabella has different expectations though, because of what he represents from the assets we gave up, and the fact we passed up on DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin for him, who are both playing the role this team so desperately needs right now.

It'd be one thing if he were showing some promise, but the reality is he can barely make it onto the field when there's plenty of opportunity.
@Solar7 am I missing something in this post? Aren’t you saying that we have higher expectations for Isabella than for Oliver due to everything we gave up and missed out on? If I misinterpreted apologies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Where did I argue that our expectations for those two players should be anything like that?

I don't see where it's wild that I'd hope a second round pick would contribute something, and this is another signal of Keim's absolutely terrible drafting. The guy has two freaking receptions, for 8 yards, through 7 games. There have been injuries that should provide wide-open opportunities, but he's being outplayed by guys that couldn't make other rosters.

He needs to show something. I'm going to repeat it again and again, this team has next to zero young talent, and it's all because Keim can't seem to draft his way out of a wet paper bag. How many excuses are we going to continue making just because they wear Cardinal red?
I don’t disagree with anything in paragraphs 2 and 3

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My gut tells me they plan to use Isabella differently and that they're teaching him new ways to interpret (& use) different parts of the playbook (i.e. bending the ends of his routes to open areas of the field, getting the ball to him in open areas where he can best utilize his blinding speed - that sort of stuff). This different route-visualization wrinkle would logically be installed after everything else had been installed.

No evidence that this is is what they're doing/just one more possible theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard