What if....the thread of crazyish draft moves

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You can always fit elite pass rushers and cornerbacks.
Not when you give up still strong or even elite assets to acquire them.

I'm struggling to understand why the board is so obsessed with elite position grouping lately. What championship teams are dumping assets to double down at positions in the draft or via trade and being rewarded with playoff or championship caliber teams for it?

I see balanced teams who build well in the draft and complement it with savvy free agent moves winning it all. I could be drawing a blank on something significant, but the most dramatic moves in the past decade seem to be for a QB. I can't recall any of the Super Bowl participants getting there on account of selling off assets or dramatically hurting one position group to add 3rd/4th string 1st round rookies.

Maybe the 49ers? But they didn't give anything up.

It's totally different to be elite or stacked at a position group because you hit a diamond in the rough in the third round multiple times.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not when you give up still strong or even elite assets to acquire them.

I'm struggling to understand why the board is so obsessed with elite position grouping lately. What championship teams are dumping assets to double down at positions in the draft or via trade and being rewarded with playoff or championship caliber teams for it?

I see balanced teams who build well in the draft and complement it with savvy free agent moves winning it all. I could be drawing a blank on something significant, but the most dramatic moves in the past decade seem to be for a QB. I can't recall any of the Super Bowl participants getting there on account of selling off assets or dramatically hurting one position group to add 3rd/4th string 1st round rookies.

Maybe the 49ers? But they didn't give anything up.

It's totally different to be elite or stacked at a position group because you hit a diamond in the rough in the third round multiple times.
Because there’s a huge difference between stacking yourself at a position that brings a significant amount of impact(EDGE/pass rusher) than doing it at a position that doesn’t bring nearly as much impact(WR) like this board is thirsting over.

Only offering the #8 & Peterson is hella insulting if anything as well.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
In a heart beat. P2 is on the down slope and DE is greater value than CB.

There are still FA CB's out there that get you most of what P2 offers. Talib, Amukamara, Breeland, Cockrell, Apple.

Also Chandler is 30 now. How much longer does he have left?
None of those cb are even close to the level of peterson. You know peterson, the cb has made the pro bowl ever year of his career until last year. The guy name the top cb of the decade by the nfl. One of only a couple dbs to travel with other teams no1 wrs while folks like sherman spent most their time vs no2 or no3 wr and have safety help over the top.

You guys lost you mind.
Chase young wont have the career or Chandler jones.
Okudah wont have anything close to the career of peterson.

In fact neither young or okudah will likely not be the best de or cb in the 2020 draft after 3 to 4 years.
Watch CJ Henderson and kristan Fulton.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of those cb are even close to the level of peterson. You know peterson, the cb has made the pro bowl ever year of his career until last year. The guy name the top cb of the decade by the nfl. One of only a couple dbs to travel with other teams no1 wrs while folks like sherman spent most their time vs no2 or no3 wr and have safety help over the top.

You guys lost you mind.

In fact neither young or okudah will likely not be the best de or cb in the 2020 draft after 3 to 4 years.

P2 has been past his peak for a while. He just had a 6 game PED suspension and was trash when he came back.

Chiefs just won the Superbowl with Charvarius Ward and Breeland at outside CB.

You don't need a "stud" CB1. Plenty of teams do well with well coached units.

I'd trade 30 year old P2 and the 8th for a 21 year old stud DE in a millisecond.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You guys lost you mind.

This would be true 3 years ago.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely NOT. You dont trade a HOF corner in his prime to move up a few spots in the draft for an unproven pass rusher.

What not keep a leg ard CB, trade back a few spots for an extra 3rd round pick and draft klavon chiasson at OLB. He prob fits our d better anyway.

PP can still play, but he's obviously not in his prime. He missed the first 6 games of 2019, remember? That implies to me that he was using PED's in 2018, during the end of the season, although that's speculation on my part.
He was 28 then. The league at first wanted to suspend him for 8 games, then it was changed to 6. Six is actually the max, and implies he was taking them knowingly AND taking something else to try to mask it.

Even PP doesn't feel like he is "in his prime" obviously. He's turning 30 in June, and that is unfortunately about the time most CB's like even Nnamdi/Revis start to fall off a cliff.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
PP can still play, but he's obviously not in his prime. He missed the first 6 games of 2019, remember? That implies to me that he was using PED's in 2018, during the end of the season, although that's speculation on my part.
He was 28 then. The league at first wanted to suspend him for 8 games, then it was changed to 6. Six is actually the max, and implies he was taking them knowingly AND taking something else to try to mask it.

Even PP doesn't feel like he is "in his prime" obviously. He's turning 30 in June, and that is unfortunately about the time most CB's like even Nnamdi/Revis start to fall off a cliff.

He was lights out toward the end of the season. You can argue that he wasnt playing his best when wilks changed our defense and taked the moral of the team and that's fair. But he was flat out dominant and the end of the year and I expected him to be the same this year. There are certain players that are not replaceable. Peterson and jones are at that level.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
He was lights out toward the end of the season. You can argue that he wasnt playing his best when wilks changed our defense and taked the moral of the team and that's fair. But he was flat out dominant and the end of the year and I expected him to be the same this year. There are certain players that are not replaceable. Peterson and jones are at that level.

I can concede that Peterson played excellent the last several games of 2019. I'm not gonna ignore the huge red flag he was waving at everybody though. While he may play well in 2020, I would be thinking real hard about drafting one of the best CB's in this draft if the opportunity presents itself.
I'm just talking about being proactive instead of reactive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn