What did you expect from Watson as the coach?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Disgusted watching the Rockets play. Knew we shoulda done everything possible to get Dantoni back. Instead we have useless Watson reassuring Tyson Chandler ain't going anywhere. Thanks Earl..Thanks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disgusted watching the Rockets play. Knew we shoulda done everything possible to get Dantoni back. Instead we have useless Watson reassuring Tyson Chandler ain't going anywhere. Thanks Earl..Thanks

I don't think a late first round draft pick (which may be his value) is going to help the Suns. Tyson is a class player on a reasonable contract and he is insurance if Len should leave. Also Ryan McDonough makes the GM decisions not Watson.

I was a huge D'Antoni fan but at some point I think you have to let it go.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everything is just amplified considering we are dead last in a horrible west. The only part I enjoy is watching rookies/Len/Warren play. Everyone else....see ya

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything is just amplified considering we are dead last in a horrible west. The only part I enjoy is watching rookies/Len/Warren play. Everyone else....see ya

The West is, as always, ridiculous. Don't like the race for 8th fool you, look at the top 7 records. Of the top 8 teams in the league, I'd argue 7 are in the West.

Errntknght

Reaction score
We are 12-29 overall, 5-23 in Conference, leaving us 7-6 vs the East. Geez at that rate we'd be in the playoffs if we were in the East. Not really, of course but the West is plenty tough as far as we're concerned. If we do trade Chandler and Tucker we'll probably make a good run at the No 1 pick, which is fine with me. I hope Watson plays the young guys at least as much as is best for their learning the game - he's not there yet, IMO. If he does that, I'll be happy with wherever we wind up in the draft.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Watson has us playing the best basketball we have in years this month, wonder where the haters are at now.

We are just 3 wins behind the 8 seed right now and 10-6 against the East.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watson has us playing the best basketball we have in years this month, wonder where the haters are at now.

We are just 3 wins behind the 8 seed right now and 10-6 against the East.
Lol seriously. No way to justify it. We are in LAST place. I understand the optimism but we are not even close to being a playoff team. Watson won't last 2 yrs. I'm not a hater I love my suns. Just can't buy in to this current system.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I can't remember a Suns team that forced as many 24 second violations as this team does.

from phone

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
They have been playing better as of late and the rookies have gotten some more minutes (benching Dudley). Booker is out of his funk and hopefully Warren gets back on track as well.

I think we should focus even more on playing the rookies (20 mpg for Bender, Chriss, maybe Ulis) and ship out Knight and Tucker. We can still officially compete for the glorious eight seed while positioning ourselves even better for the future (more experience for the kids and a higher draft pick this summer).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They have been playing better as of late and the rookies have gotten some more minutes (benching Dudley). Booker is out of his funk and hopefully Warren gets back on track as well.

I think we should focus even more on playing the rookies (20 mpg for Bender, Chriss, maybe Ulis) and ship out Knight and Tucker. We can still officially compete for the glorious eight seed while positioning ourselves even better for the future (more experience for the kids and a higher draft pick this summer).
I wouldn't use the word "funk" to describe Booker's play. He's been playing on a bad toe for most of the season. And with Point Guards who do not facilitate for the rest of the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember a Suns team that forced as many 24 second violations as this team does.

Or seemingly allow so many three point shots.

Also the Suns foul way to many opponents in the act shooting three point shots giving them gift points.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Lol seriously. No way to justify it. We are in LAST place. I understand the optimism but we are not even close to being a playoff team. Watson won't last 2 yrs. I'm not a hater I love my suns. Just can't buy in to this current system.

We are 24 & 56 since Watson became head coach.

This is not horseshoes.

With the lineups we are playing we should be winning, IMO. I know Knight is horrible and he set a new standard tonight (-32) in 15 minutes. However, Tom Chambers said it best. We should not lose to that team. I don't know if Watson is the problem but whatever the problem is, it is his job to fix it.

When will we start rooting for them to win rather than lose so that we can get a higher draft pick?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Not this year. Next year I want them to compete for the playoffs.

We have no business in the playoffs this year, so my personal opinion is play the youngsters solid and consistent minutes and try to win games, but expect a lot of L's and a great chance to add the final piece to the present young core. We're among the youngest teams in the league. Most of our core should still be going to school and learning arithmetics and geography. I'm trying to stay pragmatic.

Next year we could be a .500+ team.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are 24 & 56 since Watson became head coach.

This is not horseshoes.

With the lineups we are playing we should be winning, IMO. I know Knight is horrible and he set a new standard tonight (-32) in 15 minutes. However, Tom Chambers said it best. We should not lose to that team. I don't know if Watson is the problem but whatever the problem is, it is his job to fix it.

When will we start rooting for them to win rather than lose so that we can get a higher draft pick?

Take a look at the Grizzlies game tonight. It was a disaster. It made the Nuggets game look close.

The Suns need a lot of something.

The Suns are the 2nd worst team in the league.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Earl Watson seems to influenced by Tom Thibs in terms of minutes management.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take a look at the Grizzlies game tonight. It was a disaster. It made the Nuggets game look close.

The Suns need a lot of something.

The Suns are the 2nd worst team in the league.

Part of the problem playing teams like Memphis or Denver is they have depth in their frontcourt and we have virtually none. Chandler and Len are a good Center rotation but we don't have an NBA quality starting PF. So playing against a duo like Randolph and Gasol that can shoot all the way out to the 3 point line is when the Suns are exposed badly. Chandler doesn't venture that far out since he's basically chasing rebounds and only rebounds defensively and Chriss doesn't put up any challenge on the perimeter either. Tucker, Dudley, and Warren are too short to contest deep 2's and 3's. If Tucker isn't helping slow someone down on the defensive end he's that much worse to watch because he tries to do too much on the offensive end, probably consciously also because he knows he's underperforming on the defensive end. Whenever I see Tucker try to drive or even dribble the ball I expect bad things to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem playing teams like Memphis or Denver is they have depth in their frontcourt and we have virtually none. Chandler and Len are a good Center rotation but we don't have an NBA quality starting PF. So playing against a duo like Randolph and Gasol that can shoot all the way out to the 3 point line is when the Suns are exposed badly. Chandler doesn't venture that far out since he's basically chasing rebounds and only rebounds defensively and Chriss doesn't put up any challenge on the perimeter either. Tucker, Dudley, and Warren are too short to contest deep 2's and 3's. If Tucker isn't helping slow someone down on the defensive end he's that much worse to watch because he tries to do too much on the offensive end, probably consciously also because he knows he's underperforming on the defensive end. Whenever I see Tucker try to drive or even dribble the ball I expect bad things to happen.

The Suns definitely do not have the frontcourt depth or physicality to match-up with the Grizzlies, Nuggets or whoever. I think Tucker is trying to do too much on both ends of the court as you say but I think it is because of necessity. Too many bench players are not producing.

If it is not already clear, the Suns need to trade player any veterans that have first round value, particularly Knight, Tucker and Chandler and plan to reboot next season.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at the difference between the Celtics and the Suns. I actually think the talent level of the rosters is similar.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/bos/boston-celtics
http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/phx

There are two things that stand out. The first is most significant by a mile.
Assist to turnover ratio, across the board. The Suns are not a good passing team and they do not take care of the ball. Its a problem with the pg's, but its up and down the entire roster, which means its systemic. Its bad players who do not know how to pass, players who are not coached well, or a system that does not move the ball effectively.

The second thing that stands out is shooting percentages. I believe that is indicative of the first problem. If you do not pass well, you do not get good shots, and then you do not have good shooting percentages.

Maybe its just youth learning the game, but I am inclined to believe the offensive system is a problem.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone needs to go, of course Chandler, Tucker, and Knight are the players that the majority of fans want gone for various reasons but it seems there is no direction to this team outside of the starting 5. Ulis plays sporadically, Knight's minutes and production have been all over the place, Tucker is a horrible offensive player and overrated defensively, and Chandler needs to go so we can throw Len out there to see what he's worth this summer. There is no consistency to the rotations the Suns put out there night and night though, which I think is one of the most frustrating things about the team. Barbosa had a nice stretch of games where he looked like the Blur from his previous stint but then he got glued to the bench, Dudley's minutes make no sense considering we signed him to be our starting PF, and Bender isn't seeing enough time. I think Booker might actually be playing too much also but that's not that big of a concern. Watson needs to get everyone to buy into their assigned roles and run games how he sees fit instead of letting opponents dictate the style of play almost entirely.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Someone needs to go, of course Chandler, Tucker, and Knight are the players that the majority of fans want gone for various reasons but it seems there is no direction to this team outside of the starting 5. Ulis plays sporadically, Knight's minutes and production have been all over the place, Tucker is a horrible offensive player and overrated defensively, and Chandler needs to go so we can throw Len out there to see what he's worth this summer. There is no consistency to the rotations the Suns put out there night and night though, which I think is one of the most frustrating things about the team. Barbosa had a nice stretch of games where he looked like the Blur from his previous stint but then he got glued to the bench, Dudley's minutes make no sense considering we signed him to be our starting PF, and Bender isn't seeing enough time. I think Booker might actually be playing too much also but that's not that big of a concern. Watson needs to get everyone to buy into their assigned roles and run games how he sees fit instead of letting opponents dictate the style of play almost entirely.

We did not sign Dudley to be our starting 4. He was not doing anything good in the role at the start of the season.

Bender is playing his fair share of minutes considering he is having an overall awful rookie season and clearly not ready.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did not sign Dudley to be our starting 4. He was not doing anything good in the role at the start of the season.

Bender is playing his fair share of minutes considering he is having an overall awful rookie season and clearly not ready.

As I recall, the plan was for Dudley to be the starting 4 until Chriss or Bender could take the job away. A lot was made of Dudley's stats especially his 3 point shooting as a stretch 4.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
As I recall, the plan was for Dudley to be the starting 4 until Chriss or Bender could take the job away. A lot was made of Dudley's stats especially his 3 point shooting as a stretch 4.

Exactly this happened!

Dudley was never signed as our starting 4. He was signed as a veteran and mentor and someone who could temporarily start. Chriss took the job.