Welcome Yuta Watanabe (Guard)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He moves really well, is long, works really hard on D, and has a sweet jumper. Can't complain.

Oh, and he might already have a little chemistry with KD.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's rarely a good reason to sign someone. Since the Suns need to fill the roster and don't have money to work with, anyone who looks like an NBA player is a good catch. That said, my expectations for Watanabe are very low.
I hear you, but NBA analysts have been touting this guy before free agency as a good pick up if we could get him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's rarely a good reason to sign someone. Since the Suns need to fill the roster and don't have money to work with, anyone who looks like an NBA player is a good catch. That said, my expectations for Watanabe are very low.
He isn't a premier player but he was one of the best shooters in the NBA spotting up for wide open 3's. He is going to get way more open 3's here. Why would your expectations be lower than that?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His numbers fell off a cliff once Durant left, so I guess the Suns will be getting the good version of him, at least.
Top 5 three-point shooters last season (min 100 attempts):
1. Luke Kennard
2. Al Horford
3. Damion Lee (44.5%)
4. Malcolm Brogdon
5. Yuta Watanabe (44.4%)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We have other guys now, so we aren't depending on this guy alone.

Neither were the Nets. I just don't see it. Damion Lee wasn't able to earn consistent playing time either, and his overall numbers were stronger than Watanabe's.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Neither were the Nets. I just don't see it. Damion Lee wasn't able to earn consistent playing time either, and his overall numbers were stronger than Watanabe's.
We are looking at multiple three point shooters off the bench. Frankly some of these other guys are longer better defenders. We have to see how Vogel plays guys, too. I think if I remember right, Vogel plays more guys off his bench than Monty. We have options now, when everyone said it was impossible for us to sign guys being constrained to vet min deals.