Welcome Jared Harper

OP
OP
S

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
He carried Auburn past UK in the Elite 8 once Okeke went down. He would be a lotto pick if not for his height

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean this guy is just for summer league, so whatever.

What did Okobo and Melton do to the suns org?

I know neither was exactly what we hoped for but I don't think either should be just throw away like trash, but it appears that is exactly what they intend to do.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I mean this guy is just for summer league, so whatever.

What did Okobo and Melton do to the suns org?

I know neither was exactly what we hoped for but I don't think either should be just throw away like trash, but it appears that is exactly what they intend to do.

New regime. Jones has been getting rid of McD guys and replacing them with his own. I don't think it's the right strategy. Both of them have some good skills, and it would be foolish to get rid of them now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this young man. Harper might be able to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harper makes it look easy in these highlights. Smooth and natural movements.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VanVleet and JJ Barea are a couple of point guards in the current NBA that have fared quite well in backup roles.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
VanVleet and JJ Barea are a couple of point guards in the current NBA that have fared quite well in backup roles.

Yep. And sadly, he might be the best true PG we have on the roster.

He's small at 5-11, but the kid has a remarkable wingspan at 6-6. He's got blazing speed with the ball in his hands (#1 on 3Q sprint at combine) and has the 4th highest vertical in the entire draft. He's also strong for a PG which shows up on film and in the weights (8 reps at the combine, 3rd best among PGs). Plus it helps that he shot 37% from 3's at 7 attempts/gm.

Melton and Okobo are all based on potential (I admittedly like Melton), but Harper is based on production. I could easily see both of them gone. I could also see this guy making the team over Jalen Lecque since Harper can contribute right now.

It's a great pick up as UDFA's go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. And sadly, he might be the best true PG we have on the roster.

He's small at 5-11, but the kid has a remarkable wingspan at 6-6. He's got blazing speed with the ball in his hands (#1 on 3Q sprint at combine) and has the 4th highest vertical in the entire draft. He's also strong for a PG which shows up on film and in the weights (8 reps at the combine, 3rd best among PGs). Plus it helps that he shot 37% from 3's at 7 attempts/gm.

Melton and Okobo are all based on potential (I admittedly like Melton), but Harper is based on production. I could easily see both of them gone. I could also see this guy making the team over Jalen Lecque since Harper can contribute right now.

It's a great pick up as UDFA's go.

I'm excited by Harper as well. I think he has a chance.

Sometimes I think the height issue can be over played especially if he is likely to be a backup point guard. When I first look at a player I look to see what they can do. Harper can run an offense and is lightning quick as you point out. His assist to turnover is good. He will need to improve his jump shot though. I like the wingspan.

I don't see how the they can keep all the point guards with the Suns likely to add another in free agency so I see at least one of them are gone.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm excited by Harper as well. I think he has a chance.

Loved this kid in the tournament, and I'm really glad he's getting a chance on the Suns. I don't have big hopes, however. In three seasons, he never shot even 40% from the field on the season. He shot 39.9% last year, and it was his best field goal percentage to date. It's hard to see that improving significantly in the NBA given his size limitations, and that makes him not playable imho.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this kid in the tournament, and I'm really glad he's getting a chance on the Suns. I don't have big hopes, however. In three seasons, he never shot even 40% from the field on the season. He shot 39.9% last year, and it was his best field goal percentage to date. It's hard to see that improving significantly in the NBA given his size limitations, and that makes him not playable imho.

I saw this but his 3 point percentage seems to be a redeeming factor. His effective field goal percentage is .505 so there is hope. I find myself rooting for these type players because a lot of teams right them off before they start based on lack of height.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another Tyler Ulis. Great college player, but will not make it in the NBA unless he learns to shoot well enough to keep opposing defenses honest.