Week 9 Snap Counts and some thoughts

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like to see Kyler eventually execute that play. I am not worried about him doing it week 1 when he hasn't been healthy, doesn't have under center reps with Fro, and has probably never ran that play in his life.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, I'm on the other side. If he can't be involved in the tush push plays, he's not the complete QB we need. You're making it sound like an OMG too risky play, when it is now a staple play in the NFL. And our QB needs to be able to make staple plays. Granted, I think he wanted to stay in and make those plays, and it was the coaches that yanked him for them. I hope they don't do that moving forward.
The Tush Push has no secondary option and requires no QB skills. There is no trick, the defense always knows exactly what’s coming. It’s all about driving your legs forward for 3 feet and taking a hit. It works for the Eagles because their OL is the best in the league and Hurts is massive.

I would prefer it if a fullback was in at QB whenever we run that play. I don’t see any advantage to having your QB run it. In the Vikings/49ers game Purdy ran it for a 1st and took a massive headshot from a linebacker. He threw 2 picks in the next two drives, lost the game, and spent the week in concussion protocol.

Strongstyle

Rookie
Reaction score
Again, I'm on the other side. If he can't be involved in the tush push plays, he's not the complete QB we need. You're making it sound like an OMG too risky play, when it is now a staple play in the NFL. And our QB needs to be able to make staple plays. Granted, I think he wanted to stay in and make those plays, and it was the coaches that yanked him for them. I hope they don't do that moving forward.
The tush push is a dangerous play. A literal ton of human weight smashing into each other in a dog pile. If Kyler got hurt doing it, you'd probably say he's too fragile to be our future QB.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eh, you're blowing it out of proportion. If he can't run basic plays--and the tush push is a basic play--then yes, we need to find a new QB. I don't think he can't. I think JG didn't let him, for the record.
saints brought in Taysom Hill because that Brees dude was such a loser at sneaks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like Conner will get an extension this offseason? I actually feel like his relationship with Kyler is more meaningful to the organization than Marquise Brown's.
He turns 29 this offseason. He hasn't seen a lot of carries throughout his career, but that's really because he's been consistently injured with a relatively small amount of carries.

What does a fair extension for him look like? Whatever happens, his cap charge is 2024 will carry $3 million in pro-rated bonus from his dumb Keim extension.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I was the opposite. I was curious to see if KM could run the sneak--if he can't do it, let's be honest, he's not the QBOF. I remain curious because it doesn't appear as if the coaches want him doing it, or think he can. This is disappointting.
I don't think they want to expose his knee, just yet, in potential scrum situations. Just my take

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was the opposite. I was curious to see if KM could run the sneak--if he can't do it, let's be honest, he's not the QBOF. I remain curious because it doesn't appear as if the coaches want him doing it, or think he can. This is disappointting.

hmmm... :)

How far down the list is "effective at QB sneaks" in terms of what you want from your QBOF my friend?

Is it behind "accuracy", "mobility", "arm strength", "leadership", "pocket presence", "reading defenses", "clutch-ness" and maybe a few others?

Come on Chief. Maybe think about that one a little more.

P.S. - saw your post on the other thread. I'll stipulate that posters come after you a little. Even I do sometimes although it's good natured. If I were you, I'd tell them to ****** off once and leave it at that. I don't think it's worth your time for a lot of back for on a message board Stout. Clutters up the place a bit too. :) Be well, talk soon.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way, it's a rugby scrum and there is a decent chance it's banned next year too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't see why it should. It's within the rules. Any team can do it.

Its just a QB sneak with a lower OL and a push from behind.

No team has any advantage over anyone else. Would be dumb to ban it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like Conner will get an extension this offseason? I actually feel like his relationship with Kyler is more meaningful to the organization than Marquise Brown's.

Yes but age. Maybe they tag another year on. I can see that.

On a Conner note they don't use him enough in the passing game. He's a very capable receiver.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see why it should. It's within the rules. Any team can do it.

Its just a QB sneak with a lower OL and a push from behind.

No team has any advantage over anyone else. Would be dumb to ban it.
Seriously. Other teams are mad because they can't do it. All you need is a hall of fame center and a quarterback made from chiseled granite.

What's the problem?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
not sure what market is for a 29 year old RB whose game is heavy contact. Per OTC, RBs 29 and older NOT on multi year deals like Derrick Henry make $1.5mm-$2.0mm per year.

Ezekial Elliot signed a one year $3mm deal -- and he looked way more done than Connor -- but that seems awfully high now.

I get the attitude and leadership and would be willing to pay a premium for it -- but like 20% more than market, not 2x more than market

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, you're blowing it out of proportion. If he can't run basic plays--and the tush push is a basic play--then yes, we need to find a new QB. I don't think he can't. I think JG didn't let him, for the record.
LOL - if anyone is blowing it out of proportion, it is you. It is not the same as a normal QB sneak, and no, we don't want our newly-back from injury QB doing it.

It is a specialized play that everyone knows you are doing it. A larger QB has an advantage.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It is a specialized play that everyone knows you are doing it. A larger QB has an advantage.

Exactly Dback Jon.

Isn't that what a smart coach does? Puts the best personnel out on the field to execute the play so that it has the maximum chance of success?

I don't see what the big deal is.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't know why you even want your QB doing the push tush. Use a LB or RB.
i figured Connor would like up in the wildcat for the play

heck -- you could even have Murray as the RB and Connor could pitch it to him as a wrinkle

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
not sure what market is for a 29 year old RB whose game is heavy contact. Per OTC, RBs 29 and older NOT on multi year deals like Derrick Henry make $1.5mm-$2.0mm per year.

Ezekial Elliot signed a one year $3mm deal -- and he looked way more done than Connor -- but that seems awfully high now.

I get the attitude and leadership and would be willing to pay a premium for it -- but like 20% more than market, not 2x more than market
I'll go out of my mind if Monti goes full on Keim and is stupid enough to give JC MORE years. Because yes, let's tie up money in an aged RB. That works well in the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd