Patrick Peterson - 58 (100%)
Antonio Cromartie - 55 (94.8%)
Rashad Johnson - 58 (100%)
Deone Bucannon - 32 (55.2%)
Jerraud Powers - 33 (56.9%)
Tyrann Mathieu - 32 (55.2%)
Tony Jefferson - 25 (43.1%)

Trends

1-Since week 6 vs Washington, Powers, Mathieu, and Bucannon have all played within 8 snaps of each other in every game, and only two of those games over a 5 snap difference. There is a bit of a rotation going on, and I haven't been able to tell what it exactly is. They aren't always playing together, but they getting about the snap number of snaps.

2-Dan Williams played one of his higher snap % of the season this game. Not really a shock, but something to consider going down the stretch. He will continue to see more work.

3-Kareem Martin is back to obscurity. The Cardinals leaned on their vets along the defensive line this game, and then added in a little Josh Mauro (37.9%). I'm curious to see where the Cards go with Martin next year. I thought he wasn drafted as an edge rusher, but he hasn't really shown that this year.

4-Matthew Mulligan and Jonathan Cooper split 3rd TE/Jumbo package duties. I'm cutious to see if this continues.

5-Jaron Brown out snapped John Brown. I'm guessing that Jaron is better as a run blocker than John which is why this happened. The Cardinals also seemed to go with 3 WRs as Ginn only got one snap.

Thoughts

1-Josh Mauro showed why I thought he would be a good fit for the Cardinals in the draft. Long player who plays with good strength, and has long arms to disengage. Showed a little of his inexperience by getting burned on some read option keeps.

2-Okafor is getting better and better each week. We needs to finish better to become a consistent threat, but he creates pressure every week.

3-Tony Jefferson is a nice roster player, but he really struggles in coverage. The Cardinals seem to bring him in for run support, but teams seem to exploit him. He allows so much separartion that it makes completions easy. Nice player, but probably needs more of a special teams role.

4-This team really lacks a running game which is making it tough for the offense to stay on the field. The Cardinals really struggle to flip field position, and lean on the other team. That game yesterday felt like the field was tilted all day which is why I wasn't shocked to see the Seahawks score that late TD. It isn't just a RB issue, but the team needs interior OL help, TE help, and RB help.

5-It is tough to watch this offense because it is so poor at setting and maintaining a rhythm. It was bad with Palmer, and is even worse with Stanton. As the games start to come with greater stakes, the opportunities for big plays diminishes. The Seahawks dared Stanton to put together a drives, and he could not do so. It is something that will have to change if we want to have success in the playoffs.

6-The offseason is becoming even more interesting IMO. We have a championship level defense, and what is holding us back is our offense. As much as we have been clammoring for an edge rusher, that isn't what will keep us from the Super Bowl this year. You might be able to argue that the Cardinals just need to continue to add depth on defense, while they have more legitimate needs on offense. I don't necessarily believe that, but it is starting to become a legitimate arguement.

###

I'm still trying to figure things out regarding our offense in terms of personnel and needs. If you have other questions, let me know.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Agree on the need for a running back. I'd go so far as to say without a power inside running back in the mold of a Marshawn Lynch or Frank Gore, the offense will remain limited against elite defenses like you find in the NFC West.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1-Josh Mauro showed why I thought he would be a good fit for the Cardinals in the draft. Long player who plays with good strength, and has long arms to disengage. Showed a little of his inexperience by getting burned on some read option keeps.

He played a fantastic game. Almost always it is the first guy there to contain the RB, especially as a DE. It is usually the OLB/Safety responsibility to set the edge and protect against the read option. His play was right every time they went to the option IMO.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Chopper are there any draftable running backs that would fit B.A.'s offense?

e.g., above average pass protection, pass catching ability and most of all able to break tackles up the middle....

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some good observation points. Totally agree that offense needs to be addressed in the off season.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper are there any draftable running backs that would fit B.A.'s offense?

e.g., above average pass protection, pass catching ability and most of all able to break tackles up the middle....

Jeremy Langford out of Michigan St is a really good pass blocker and has good size.

Melvin Gordon might be more of what we need. Tevin Johnson, or the RB out of Minnesota could be nice options. The tough part is investing a ton for a specific role. Honestly, the team could go after Mark Ingram in FA. We have a need, but we have to understand that you can only commit so much to a role player.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. I think Martin is making a lot of mistakes mentally, maybe not playing his gap well, but he is a rookie and we now have Mauro, so no big deal YET.

2. I though Mulligan was inactive and Fells was getting snap counts...

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1. I think Martin is making a lot of mistakes mentally, maybe not playing his gap well, but he is a rookie and we now have Mauro, so no big deal YET.

I pull the snaps from foxsports so if it is wrong, blame them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I may do my Coaches' Tape review of the plays where Jonathan Cooper was in the game. If you remember what those plays were, it would be a huge help to post them here or somewhere.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I may do my Coaches' Tape review of the plays where Jonathan Cooper was in the game. If you remember what those plays were, it would be a huge help to post them here or somewhere.

I will look later tonight and let you know.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I guess my number recognition is totally off, but I thought Fells played some downs at TE... remember, I did not say he was a legit TE but played under the assumption of the position lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty amazing Foote has played every snap again. Dude has been nails for this defense.

Josh Mauro, who?? I read this board every day and I never heard of the guy. What a surprise he was.

Once again the same Oline has played every snap. Doesn't speak well for them as a whole for as poor as the running game is. So much for continuity. Edit to add... I can't name specific play but it seemed to me they were coming off their blocks too soon and trying to get to the 2nd level so they failed at both.

I'm not sure what to make of the offense either. When Stanton started the Giants and 9er games, I thought the team could be in capable, if not spectacular hands with him. I don't get that feeling now. Man, do they look out of whack right now. I'm hopeful they can jell somewhat over the next couple games.

Love these write ups Chopper.

Last edited:

CoachKlein

Rookie
Reaction score
Pretty amazing Foote has played every snap again. Dude has been nails for this defense.

Josh Mauro, who?? I read this board every day and I never heard of the guy. What a surprise he was.

Once again the same Oline has played every snap. Doesn't speak well for them as a whole for as poor as the running game is. So much for continuity. Edit to add... I can't name specific play but it seemed to me they were coming off their blocks too soon and trying to get to the 2nd level so they failed at both.

I'm not sure what to make of the offense either. When Stanton started the Giants and 9er games, I thought the team could be in capable, if not spectacular hands with him. I don't get that feeling now. Man, do they look out of whack right now. I'm hopeful they can jell somewhat over the next couple games.

Love these write ups Chopper.

Also need to give credit to the 12th man and a Seahawks defense that played with the most energy they have all season.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was Fells.

On a different note, that Josh Mauro can walk off another teams practice squad and have an impact highlights that the cupboard is pretty empty in the desert.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good stuff Chopper. Our offense is a huge concern, Palmer or not. It appears that we have some good pieces, but in terms of finding a way to maintain drives or put points on the board, we've been really bad.

I really think we need a lead back, and to have Ellington take about 1/3 of the carries, allowing him to split out more often and remain fresh. He is obviously gassed at this point, and doesn't show the burst/shiftiness that he did last year.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Snapcount to date fyi.

Defense
DL Tommy Kelly 510
Calais Campbell 487
Frostee Rucker 292
Dan Williams 255
Ed Stinson 201
Kareem Martin 178
Alameda Ta’amu 18
Josh Mauro 22

LB Larry Foote 721
Sam Acho 383
Alex Okafor 392
Matt Shaughnessy 194
Kevin Minter 197
Thomas Keiser 78
Marcus Benard 47
John Abraham 36
Lorenzo Alexander 17
Desmond Bishop 0
Victor Butler 0
Glenn Carson 0

DB Rashad Johnson 716
Antonio Cromartie 685
Patrick Peterson 636
Jerraud Powers 547
Deone Bucannon 495
Tony Jefferson 431
Tyrann Mathieu 345
Justin Bethel 44

Offense

QB Carson Palmer 410
Drew Stanton 302
Logan Thomas 16

OL
Bobby Massie 728
Lyle Sendlein 728
Jared Veldheer 728
Paul Fanaika 727
Ted Larsen 726
Jonathan Cooper 9

RB Andre Ellington 515
Robert Hughes 99
Stepfan Taylor 96
Jonathan Dwyer 47
Marion Grice 18
Jalen Parmele 1

WR Larry Fitzgerald 616
Michael Floyd 632
John Brown 427
Ted Ginn 102
Jaron Brown 117

TE John Carlson 625
Rob Housler 217
Troy Niklas 89
Darren Fells 33

Special Teams
Lorenzo Alexander 228
Justin Bethel 222
Jaron Brown 207
Robert Hughes 207
Kenny Demens 194
Tony Jefferson 176
Rashad Johnson 171
Sam Acho 168
Rob Housler 108
Mike Leach 108
Chandler Catanzaro 99
Ted Ginn 95
Drew Butler 90
Jerraud Powers 88
Stepfan Taylor 87
Marcus Benard 78
Deone Bucannon 75
Calais Campbell 70
Troy Niklas 66
Larry Foote 53
Frostee Rucker 52
Earl Watford 46
Patrick Peterson 45
Bobby Massie 44
Bradley Sowell 44
Jared Veldheer 44
Antonio Cromartie 40
Paul Fanaika 39
Tommy Kelly 36
Dan Williams 36
Alex Okafor 35
John Carlson 31
Ted Larsen 30
Matt Shaughnessy 29
Darren Fells 25
Ed Stinson 23
Tyrann Mathieu 21
Kevin Minter 20
Marion Grice 19
Dave Zastudil 18
Kareem Martin 17
Jonathan Cooper 14
Jonathan Dwyer 8
Thomas Keiser 8
Jalen Parmele 7
Matthew Mulligan 6
John Abraham 2
Larry Fitzgerald 2
Michael Floyd 2
Alameda Ta’amu 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think if Ellington was 100%, would he show better than he has so far this year? Doesn't help that we don't have a solid 2nd RB

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Defense
DL Tommy Kelly 510
Calais Campbell 487
Frostee Rucker 292
Dan Williams 255
Ed Stinson 201
Kareem Martin 178
Alameda Ta’amu 18
Josh Mauro 22

New guy Josh Mauro has more snaps in one game that Alameda Ta'amu all season. Played well in Seattle too. This does not look good for Alameda's future with Redbirds.
Although he may be taking Stinson's snaps.

Tommy Kelly is this years low cost vet pickup that plays well for the Redbirds(like Abraham last year).

Calais missed at least 2 games and is number 2 in snaps.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
LB Larry Foote 721
Sam Acho 383
Alex Okafor 392
Matt Shaughnessy 194
Kevin Minter 197
Thomas Keiser 78
Marcus Benard 47
John Abraham 36
Lorenzo Alexander 17
Desmond Bishop 0
Victor Butler 0
Glenn Carson 0

Larry Foote has played more snaps than anyone at LB, Minter finally passed Shaughnessy in snaps.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
OL
Bobby Massie 728
Lyle Sendlein 728
Jared Veldheer 728
Paul Fanaika 727
Ted Larsen 726
Jonathan Cooper 9

Cooper has 3 snaps at Guard and 6 at Seattle as third TE.

Reaction score
Cardinals site said Mulli was inactive Sunday. :shrug:

Fitzgerald out, streak ends at 110
Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2014 – 12:28 pm

The full inactive list:
– WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee)
– DT Ed Stinson (toe)
– RB Kerwynn Williams
– LB Desmond Bishop
– LB Glenn Carson
– DT Alameda Ta’amu
– TE Matthew Mulligan

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cardinals site said Mulli was inactive Sunday. :shrug:

Fitzgerald out, streak ends at 110
Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2014 – 12:28 pm

The full inactive list:
– WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee)
– DT Ed Stinson (toe)
– RB Kerwynn Williams
– LB Desmond Bishop
– LB Glenn Carson
– DT Alameda Ta’amu
– TE Matthew Mulligan

Would you say he got a....mulligan for the game?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose