Weakest positions on the Cards and who to draft? Opinions?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
To me the weakest positions are in order
1.Offensive line-Pugh,Humphries both returning from injury and Humphries has a injury history worse than Pugh and Humphries is FA and has done nothing to get another contract IMO.Shipley is expendable because of Cole IMO.Cunningham showed some ability at times but also showed why he was a project,same for Gossett,Wetzel solid swingman backup,Holden likely 8th OLINEMAN type.
2.DLINE-Chandler Jones is a great passrusher and does okay versus the run but is he better at OLB in 3-4 or DE in 4-3?Corey Peters is a solid DT.Nkemdiche-flashed a couple of games but generally waste of space.-very little experienced depth .
3.LB-need help
4.WR-Kirk showed well last season.After him?Fitz is one of the all-time greats but he really is nothing more than a slot WR who makes big money now.
5.TE-RSJones-blah,Gresham-blah,Daniels?-definite area of need
6.CB-No matter who it is plays across from PP they will be likely targeted.

I have my doubts that Cards will draft any OLINE first pick.I think 1st pick will be Bosa DE because he can play both the run and the pass well.His injuries are a cause for concern but I would think Cards medical staff check that out.Quinnen Williams DT could also be in play and as a longshot a CB (Greedy Williams LSU).
If Cards go back to 3-4 Bosa can play that .Can Quinnen Williams play in a 3-4 ? Couyld he anchor in the middle or play DE? Serious questions? Williams looks good but can he adapt in the NFL?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Free agency should be used to address some of that. No need for superstars but solid NFL starters would be nice.

The draft should be fun this year, lots of holes to fill so they can go BPA for those first few picks

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Free agency should be used to address some of that. No need for superstars but solid NFL starters would be nice.

The draft should be fun this year, lots of holes to fill so they can go BPA for those first few picks

Zeno- would you pick Bosa #1 .I would because he can play either 3-4 or 4-3 and is good passrushing/playing the run.I just hope Cards don`t overthink it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno- would you pick Bosa #1 .I would because he can play either 3-4 or 4-3 and is good passrushing/playing the run.I just hope Cards don`t overthink it.

I would but I liked what I saw of Q Williams too. It’s going to be interesting. Unlike prior years the Cardinals can guarantee getting the player they want.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
LB and WR are our weakest positions. OL is our biggest need to fix. Once the staff is hired we can discuss scheme and FA fits.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our biggest points of weakness are not necessarily where the strength of the draft lies, but as has been said before, free agency should be able to solve that given our cap space.

I can't help but wonder, how much pressure will be taken off the secondary with a three-man rush of Jones, Bosa, and Golden?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We draft early enough and have enough supplemental picks to avoid drafting for need but filling needs anyway.

Personally - I'm leery of prospects with injury-histories.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our biggest points of weakness are not necessarily where the strength of the draft lies, but as has been said before, free agency should be able to solve that given our cap space.

I can't help but wonder, how much pressure will be taken off the secondary with a three-man rush of Jones, Bosa, and Golden?
If we decide to go with Bosa, do we try to keep Golden? Sounds like he's looking to get paid. I'd like to see Mayowa and Z. Moore brought back, they were good rotation guys.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
OL - Shipley returns and I think starts at Center. Pugh moves to LG. Coleneeds to bulk up and build strength. He got pushed around this year. If he shows up in that shape he competes at RG. There will be a few players who will still be cut but the best choice maybe be Roger Saffold. He’s adequate but probably costs more than he should. It’s a sellers market. I don’t think they re-sign Humphries, too fragile, only plays the left and is mediocre at best. So I think they have to draft a tackle in round 1 or 2, preferably 1. If they don’t protect Rosen & block for DJ no offense will work.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OL - Shipley returns and I think starts at Center. Pugh moves to LG. Coleneeds to bulk up and build strength. He got pushed around this year. If he shows up in that shape he competes at RG. There will be a few players who will still be cut but the best choice maybe be Roger Saffold. He’s adequate but probably costs more than he should. It’s a sellers market. I don’t think they re-sign Humphries, too fragile, only plays the left and is mediocre at best. So I think they have to draft a tackle in round 1 or 2, preferably 1. If they don’t protect Rosen & block for DJ no offense will work.
We will disagree on Cole/Shipley. I do think Pugh will move to LG as well. Hump stays for one year, but re-signing him is a big question mark. Ju'Wann James out of Miami might be our big free agent signing. RT's get big money but not to the level of LTs and it is still an important position. The Cardinals will draft a lineman in the first 3 rounds, but tough to see them going that route in round 1. I could see a guy like Dalton Risner (KState) or Matt Lindstrom (BC) at the top of round 2. A guy who I would love for the Cards to draft is David Edwards out of Wisconsin. I think he could be developed into a LT despite playing RT at Wisconsin, but he probably is drafted in the 18-28 range.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another thing to consider in draft prep/planning is that this is turning into a pretty good draft for TEs. The Cardinals probably should start looking at how they can put themselves in a position post-FA to be able to draft a TE in round 2 or 3 as a good one should be available.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I hope your wrong about Shipley. I agree that Cole needs to add strength this off-season. He did show that he could move well and that he can stay healthy. To me Cole is the starting center for a long time. Plus if he wasn't strong enough at Center there is no way he would be strong enough to be a guard. I think Cole just needs to add ten pounds of muscle and he will be a very good center.

I agree with you about Roger Saffold. He has been solid for the Rams. If we could steal him away it would both help us and hurt the Rams. I think we would have to offer around 9 or 10 million a year to get him. I have not started going over film on guards yet for the draft. Who are your top three guards right now? I'm thinking we take an offensive lineman with our first pick in the second round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hope your wrong about Shipley. I agree that Cole needs to add strength this off-season. He did show that he could move well and that he can stay healthy. To me Cole is the starting center for a long time. Plus if he wasn't strong enough at Center there is no way he would be strong enough to be a guard. I think Cole just needs to add ten pounds of muscle and he will be a very good center.

I agree with you about Roger Saffold. He has been solid for the Rams. If we could steal him away it would both help us and hurt the Rams. I think we would have to offer around 9 or 10 million a year to get him. I have not started going over film on guards yet for the draft. Who are your top three guards right now? I'm thinking we take an offensive lineman with our first pick in the second round.
I would rather sign Ju'Wuan James RT from Miami in FA than Roger Saffold. They should cost about the same. If you wanted to also sign a FA OG, you could target a draft n develop LT in rounds 2-4. There are a couple nice options.

Reaction score
I would rather sign Ju'Wuan James RT from Miami in FA than Roger Saffold. They should cost about the same. If you wanted to also sign a FA OG, you could target a draft n develop LT in rounds 2-4. There are a couple nice options.

I know Saffold has a long injury history so I would tend to agree with you.