Way-too-early Monti Ossenfort Performance Review

Monti Ossenfort has done more good than not for the Arizona Cardinals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be very interested to see the grades if Monti’s name was replaced by Steve Keim and he made the exact same moves.

Think I know what the results would be.
lol, Keim was the king of desperation moves & continuously failed at identifying FAs who clearly only played their best during contract years.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol, Keim was the king of desperation moves & continuously failed at identifying FAs who clearly only played their best during contract years.
This is true. Right now, Monti is the king of not identifying any FAs that will end up contributing to the rebuild. He'd better have a doozy of a 2024 FA or we're screwed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate that Monti let Zach go & couldn’t nab a single pick for Hopkins.

However, I do acknowledge & admire he’s making very low-risk signings when he knows this will be a lost season. Keim would be the type to throw high money to Tremaine Edmunds.

Keim only looked forward to the upcoming season when it was clear we didn’t have the assets to compete at a high level. I think Monti is acquiring those assets for more than just one season.

I give Monti a B- so far.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol this is really your response after the reason was already put out right above your post?
Yes

It's a business and the best way for the FO to start out on the right foot is to get things done

Who cares what other teams are doing?

Has nothing to do with us

Be proactive and negotiate, not sit around and let the rest of the league dictate what to do

What kind of FO is this?

More bad marks than good ones and it needs to be corrected or they won't last long

It's the small details that can make a difference

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said that I "agree" so far.

Back in November when I wanted the Cardinals to Fire Kliff and Keim, I also wanted them to pretty much start over. So far that is what we have seen. The beginning of a complete roster reset and a move towards a more pro style offense brings a smile to my face.

Although I'm not happy that Monti got busted for tampering with Gannon. That was an embarrassing way to start the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is tough to grade Monti because he is in a Teflon situation.

The argument against Monti is that he has created the worst roster in football. He has done this by letting young talent walk, not signing any young talent in FA, and prioritizing 2024 draft picks. Also, Hopkins situation which is letting a top 3 player of the roster walk for nothing. When you are the GM, your job is to improve the roster. No one can argue that Monti has done this or that the roster is better than last years.

The Teflon part comes with the belief that this is the plan. Not be competitive, not improve the roster, and prioritize 2024. Those that believe this argue Monti is doing a wonderful job of building a loser. No one can argue this point either. We definitely have the least talented roster in football.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The argument against Monti is that he has created the worst roster in football. He has done this by letting young talent walk, not signing any young talent in FA, and prioritizing 2024 draft picks. Also, Hopkins situation which is letting a top 3 player of the roster walk for nothing. When you are the GM, your job is to improve the roster. No one can argue that Monti has done this or that the roster is better than last years.

The Teflon part comes with the belief that this is the plan. Not be competitive, not improve the roster, and prioritize 2024. Those that believe this argue Monti is doing a wonderful job of building a loser. No one can argue this point either. We definitely have the least talented roster in football.
One thing that this poll has proved is that like 2/3 of Arizona Cardinals fans are masochists. Monti has delivered nothing but pain and the possibility that there might be relief from the pain in the future. Fans here are loving it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One thing that this poll has proved is that like 2/3 of Arizona Cardinals fans are masochists. Monti has delivered nothing but pain and the possibility that there might be relief from the pain in the future. Fans here are loving it.
Yeah, I don't get it. I hate the idea of building a roster that can't compete. This franchise has seen enough losing. Apathy in June is not fun.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What we used to call ineptitude around here is now being praised as some sort of master plan. I bet Keim Is kicking himself for not spinning this whole "tanking" narrative when he was in charge.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What we used to call ineptitude around here is now being praised as some sort of master plan. I bet Keim Is kicking himself for not spinning this whole "tanking" narrative when he was in charge.
It is really weird. I don't know many teams that have actively chosen this path like Arizona has. Houston and maybe Jacksonville. Miami never really had a roster this bad even despite their losing scandal.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get it. I hate the idea of building a roster that can't compete. This franchise has seen enough losing. Apathy in June is not fun.
I guess building a roster that can't compete INTENTIONALLY is better than building a roster that can't compete UNITENTIONALLY like the past some 113+ years. Ugh almighty.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess building a roster that can't compete INTENTIONALLY is better than building a roster that can't compete UNITENTIONALLY like the past some 113+ years. Ugh almighty.
I'll reserve the right to revisit this sentiment after about week 8 or 9. LOL.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is really weird. I don't know many teams that have actively chosen this path like Arizona has. Houston and maybe Jacksonville. Miami never really had a roster this bad even despite their losing scandal.
The "Suck for Luck" Colts of 2011 were pretty bad, but they still had Wayne, Brown, Clark, Freeney, Mathis, etc. The QB combo of Painter, Orlovsky and Kerry Collins was terrible, but the rest of the roster was strong enough to bounce back the next year with Luck and a few additions. I don't foresee the same thing happening here.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
People point to Detroit but I think their roster was more of a benign neglect situation/Matt Patricia ran off everyone good the year before.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
People point to Detroit but I think their roster was more of a benign neglect situation/Matt Patricia ran off everyone good the year before.
Yeah. Shipping Stafford off for Goff isn't throwing in the towel. World of difference from Colt McCoy. What people miss, IMO, is the Lions aren't building to win a Super Bowl. They just want to be relevant ala the Marvin Lewis Bengals.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think the plan is clear. Strip it down, get Monti's guys in to evaluate talent, roll over some cap space, and have a big draft next year.
Again, this has been discussed ad nauseum. The most successful drafts involve maybe 1 or 2 immediate contributors, and maybe a guy or two making an impact down the road.

A big draft is PART of the solution, but definitely cannot be THE solution, unless you're talking about a 5 year project, which is an absurd concept in the modern day NFL.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, this has been discussed ad nauseum. The most successful drafts involve maybe 1 or 2 immediate contributors, and maybe a guy or two making an impact down the road.

A big draft is PART of the solution, but definitely cannot be THE solution, unless you're talking about a 5 year project, which is an absurd concept in the modern day NFL.
That’s where clearing the Cap Space comes in

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That’s where clearing the Cap Space comes in
This has been discussed as well - if the goal was to maximize cap space, there are additional moves that could have been made to clear cap space. Why weren't they executed?

Further, what's the point of having a bunch of cap space when the next FA class is going to be weak? Are we just going to load up our existing "talent" with huge extensions?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed as well - if the goal was to maximize cap space, there are additional moves that could have been made to clear cap space. Why weren't they executed?

Further, what's the point of having a bunch of cap space when the next FA class is going to be weak? Are we just going to load up our existing "talent" with huge extensions?
FA class is hard to predict with cuts that will happen.

It may not work out, but it does seem to be a plan in place.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

this is correct

the one thing that isnt known:

does the lack of FA moves this offseason mean Monti doesnt beleive in higher dollar UFAs, or, he does believe in adding UFAs but choose not to pursue them in 2023

lets hope its the latter