Warren staying awhile (4 yr 50 million)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can still clear room for a max player but this movement on Warren and others is to eventually prepare room to give Booker a max contract. Signing Booker to a max contract will be like putting a cherry on top of the cake so to speak. The Suns can exceed the CAP to sign him so he will likely be the last major signing for the Suns when they are ready to compete.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
This is likely what Scott Bordow was looking at.. and you tell me, can't you see ways to clear space? I can...

You must be registered for see images attach

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1) Trade or buyout Knight.
2) Trade or buyout Chandler.
3) Len likely walks.

Knight really is stuck here..

Yeah trade Chandler....I don't what his purpose is...we can let Bender play some center

Len will probably walk because we either give him his walking papers after this season or some team in the world wants him.

And maybe trade Bledsoe??

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we had a stud who we knew we could sign we could make the space. Dudley is tradeable, so is Chandler, Knight can be waived and we can use the stretch provision. Those 3 moves would open up over 30 mil.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that the draft will really make a difference. If we end up with a quality big like Ayton (which is entirely possible) we let Len walk. We could sign a FA, but we will have lots of assets to move in a sign and trade as well. One of Chriss or Bender will likely be moved in the long term plan.

The options are nearly endless.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren is on a very trade friendly contract also. I don't see him being moved this year but he could be moved next. He's now like IT or Markieff, tied in long term on an affordable contract that could very well be a bargain. I don't want to see him moved anytime soon but it's a possibility also.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is likely what Scott Bordow was looking at.. and you tell me, can't you see ways to clear space? I can...

You must be registered for see images attach

What site did you use to get that roster/salary info?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren is on a very trade friendly contract also. I don't see him being moved this year but he could be moved next. He's now like IT or Markieff, tied in long term on an affordable contract that could very well be a bargain. I don't want to see him moved anytime soon but it's a possibility also.

We agree. Now that the Suns have Warren under a cap friendly contract I don't see him being moved unless the Suns absolutely need to trade him for a star. Then, I'd still not want to trade him as he has not reached his peak.

I'm inclined the Suns will buyout Knight. I have serious questions if he ever plays for the Suns again. He had injury problems before the ACL injury and I've always questioned his motivation.

The Suns have tradeable parts in Chandler and Dudley as well. The Suns might well use second round picks to facilitate a trade if a team wants sweetners.

I think Bordow was likely looking at the Suns roster as fixed assets. The Suns roster is very fluid plus they have 5 draft picks in 2018 alone.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is that the draft will really make a difference. If we end up with a quality big like Ayton (which is entirely possible) we let Len walk. We could sign a FA, but we will have lots of assets to move in a sign and trade as well. One of Chriss or Bender will likely be moved in the long term plan.

The options are nearly endless.

Ahh... options.

First off...Heck yeah sign me up for Ayton. The guy does a lot of everything on decent levels. But Bamba or Bagley aren't slouches either as bigs. I just read on Bamba and cripe he's everything we want practically.. except his offense is lacking. He's potentially the anchor/defender/rebounder we've been lusting after.

That's three potential draft targets and I'd be happy with any of them. Hopefully we collect on that Miami pick and move up in this draft OR maybe we don't need that pick and do it on our own.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ahh... options.

First off...Heck yeah sign me up for Ayton. The guy does a lot of everything on decent levels. But Bamba or Bagley aren't slouches either as bigs. I just read on Bamba and cripe he's everything we want practically.. except his offense is lacking. He's potentially the anchor/defender/rebounder we've been lusting after.

That's three potential draft targets and I'd be happy with any of them. Hopefully we collect on that Miami pick and move up in this draft OR maybe we don't need that pick and do it on our own.

Depending on how things shake out with the lottery rankings this season, I really hope we plan on combining our pick with the Miami pick to get as high as possible. We don't really have room to add 2 more rookies, unless we unload both Chandler & Knight before the next draft. Even if we do move them, we still have limited space available. We have 3 2nd round picks also, which might be able to move us back into the end of the 1st round but I wouldn't mind them drafting similar to this last year though. We took guys that are NBA ready in the 2nd round, how good they'll be is questionable but we don't have the time or space to add any more project players.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depending on how things shake out with the lottery rankings this season, I really hope we plan on combining our pick with the Miami pick to get as high as possible. We don't really have room to add 2 more rookies, unless we unload both Chandler & Knight before the next draft. Even if we do move them, we still have limited space available. We have 3 2nd round picks also, which might be able to move us back into the end of the 1st round but I wouldn't mind them drafting similar to this last year though. We took guys that are NBA ready in the 2nd round, how good they'll be is questionable but we don't have the time or space to add any more project players.

I agree with this. It's not about quantity anymore..it's about quality. I feel we need one of those three players (Ayton, Bamba, Bagley). If we have to trade up it's all good. The thing is we don't know 100% if the Miami pick will be available next draft so it might come down to our own pick... unless we deal future picks/players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this. It's not about quantity anymore..it's about quality. I feel we need one of those three players (Ayton, Bamba, Bagley). If we have to trade up it's all good. The thing is we don't know 100% if the Miami pick will be available next draft so it might come down to our own pick... unless we deal future picks/players.

Don't forget about Michael Porter also. He could be the best player in this next draft but he would create some overlap since he's a natural SF, wing type of player. He's been compared to Durant and I think that comparison is much more applicable to him than it was to Brandon Ingram last year. If Porter is as good as predicted he'll go #1 overall in a very solid draft. It would be the Suns luck to end up with the #1 pick at time when the sure-fire top pick plays the same position as the last top prospect we drafted. That would be a nice problem to have though. I could see Jackson sliding over to PF like Marion did for us during the Nash years only it wouldn't hurt us as much because most teams player tweener forwards at PF now and Jackson has the height to play PF but not the build.

If Porter lives up to the hype he's already drawn though he'll be a once in a generation talent and the sort of prospect you can't pass on, regardless of who is on your roster already. He could also end up being an Andrew Wiggins type of player though. What I mean by that is he'll be a solid player, an All-Star level talent even but not quite good enough to be the best player on a contender let alone a top 5 or top 10 player in the league. He's still a solid #2 option though but he certainly hasn't been the player that he was talked up as. I remember all the chatter about Wiggins being the next Lebron before he played in college and he managed to sustain his hype to a certain degree and was the #1 overall pick but he's not a true franchise player, I don't see him being able to lead a team into contention as their best player but he's been a really good player and should be an All-Star soon. It'll be interesting to see Porter play in college and see what sort of competitive nature he has. That's something that has been lacking from the top picks the last couple of years. That was one of the knocks on Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz. In the last 5 years I think Karl-Anthony Towns is the only one who is a strong competitor.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget about Michael Porter also. He could be the best player in this next draft but he would create some overlap since he's a natural SF, wing type of player. He's been compared to Durant and I think that comparison is much more applicable to him than it was to Brandon Ingram last year. If Porter is as good as predicted he'll go #1 overall in a very solid draft. It would be the Suns luck to end up with the #1 pick at time when the sure-fire top pick plays the same position as the last top prospect we drafted. That would be a nice problem to have though. I could see Jackson sliding over to PF like Marion did for us during the Nash years only it wouldn't hurt us as much because most teams player tweener forwards at PF now and Jackson has the height to play PF but not the build.

If Porter lives up to the hype he's already drawn though he'll be a once in a generation talent and the sort of prospect you can't pass on, regardless of who is on your roster already. He could also end up being an Andrew Wiggins type of player though. What I mean by that is he'll be a solid player, an All-Star level talent even but not quite good enough to be the best player on a contender let alone a top 5 or top 10 player in the league. He's still a solid #2 option though but he certainly hasn't been the player that he was talked up as. I remember all the chatter about Wiggins being the next Lebron before he played in college and he managed to sustain his hype to a certain degree and was the #1 overall pick but he's not a true franchise player, I don't see him being able to lead a team into contention as their best player but he's been a really good player and should be an All-Star soon. It'll be interesting to see Porter play in college and see what sort of competitive nature he has. That's something that has been lacking from the top picks the last couple of years. That was one of the knocks on Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz. In the last 5 years I think Karl-Anthony Towns is the only one who is a strong competitor.

Well with Porter that gives us four shots at a massive upgrade. Now that Williams is out and Len seeing at lot of minutes...you know the rest. Our chances are fair at getting back in the top four. We just need a little help from Miami...I'm going to be following them closely.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a little worried this team might over-achieve, similar to how they did in 2013-14. Booker and Jackson are too competitive for us to be as bad as we were last year. Giving Len lots of minutes to balance things out might be the best way to ensure we don't end up in the 10-14 spots in this draft. The Suns and Watson should help Len get a big contract from somewhere this summer, just feed him the ball a lot and hope he keeps us towards the bottom of the standings.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little worried this team might over-achieve, similar to how they did in 2013-14. Booker and Jackson are too competitive for us to be as bad as we were last year. Giving Len lots of minutes to balance things out might be the best way to ensure we don't end up in the 10-14 spots in this draft. The Suns and Watson should help Len get a big contract from somewhere this summer, just feed him the ball a lot and hope he keeps us towards the bottom of the standings.

Trading Bledsoe could be a dual blessing about now...get us another first rounder for trade bait and keep us in the hunt for a high draft pick. Plus we could see what we have in Ulis.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm not thinking tank this early but you make some good points. One more shot at a star player to be one of the top teams versus 7th-8th seed year after year... Will it be different from Jackson, Chriss and Bender though? Another young guy with potential that might not reach stardom. I'm not even talking about luck in the lottery. No, I want us to get as many wins as possible. Stop dreaming.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not thinking tank this early but you make some good points. One more shot at a star player to be one of the top teams versus 7th-8th seed year after year... Will it be different from Jackson, Chriss and Bender though? Another young guy with potential that might not reach stardom. I'm not even talking about luck in the lottery. No, I want us to get as many wins as possible. Stop dreaming.

It's a mixed bag.

If the suns could make the playoffs with this current group then by all means. But is that realistic coming off a season having the second worst record? No one is saying "tank" by sitting players to start the season. But now Williams is out... Knight is done...Len will get more minutes and he's still a project. Plus the suns will be experimenting with different player rotations which will affect things. So..it is what it is. The suns may still lose and tanking has nothing to do with it.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
It's a mixed bag.

If the suns could make the playoffs with this current group then by all means. But is that realistic coming off a season having the second worst record? No one is saying "tank" by sitting players to start the season. But now Williams is out... Knight is done...Len will get more minutes and he's still a project. Plus the suns will be experimenting with different player rotations which will affect things. So..it is what it is. The suns may still lose and tanking has nothing to do with it.

I'm fine with a top 3/5 pick this year. Could set up this franchise for yearly playoff consideration with great potential for more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a mixed bag.

I really doubt that Knight or even Sauce will make that big of a dent in this team's playoff hopes if indeed they have such hopes.

It's just a huge unknown right now. But this team has talent. I believe they have playoff level talent. The question is maturity, chemistry and coaching. Chemistry is sometimes about that one player. JJ is going to have huge impact. He is a high energy, tough defense, no plays off guy. Pj was like that. But JJ is a rookie. Do you think players like Booker, Chris's, and Warren are going to be fine with a rookie outworking them?

It could click. Just not sure when.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson