War For The Planet Of The Apes

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This could be the best one yet. This looks AWESOME!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping this 3rd film would jump forward in time much further and broaden the scope, but a 4th is already being planned so i'm still hopeful for that.

Most of the other reboots/re-imagining franchises have been a big disappointment to me. Especially Star Trek which started with great promise and quickly slipped into popcorn formula stuff with no regard for what "Trek" was supposed to be.

Anyway, i'm really looking forward to this. The first two films were brilliant IMO.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are really squeezing water from a stone at this point. The story has been told. We get it.

If they must make more POTA movies, make them sequels. Whats going on now in monkeyville. I hate endless prequels.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping this 3rd film would jump forward in time much further and broaden the scope, but a 4th is already being planned so i'm still hopeful for that.

Most of the other reboots/re-imagining franchises have been a big disappointment to me. Especially Star Trek which started with great promise and quickly slipped into popcorn formula stuff with no regard for what "Trek" was supposed to be.

Anyway, i'm really looking forward to this. The first two films were brilliant IMO.

I stopped watching the trailer halfway through because it looked so damn good that I didn't want anything else to spoil it for me.

LOVED the first movie. was really stunned by how well done everything was. Second was pretty damn good also, but not quite the level of the first. After just a minute of that trailer, I am stoked for the third.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought the first half was solid and the second half was absurd.

The CGI in this series continues to completely blow my mind. It's hard to believe those apes aren't real. Worth the price of admission I'd say, but a steep drop off from the first 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bert... I love ya, but you're insane.

THIS IS THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR.

That is all.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bert... I love ya, but you're insane.

THIS IS THE MOVIE OF THE YEAR.

That is all.

Oh come on! There was 1 guard keeping watch over the entire prison of apes??? An avalanche just conveinenently appears and wipes out the rest of the soldiers? Woody's monologue that came completely out of nowhere and was totally out of character?

I'm glad you liked it. God knows that you know more about movies than me and no, I'm not being snarky at all, I say that with respect,,, But it was just sooooo absurd the last 45mins or so. I'm not trying to ruin it for you or anything. That's just how I felt. :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Also, I'm understating how much I liked the first half-2/3rds The CGI is just so incredible and the family dynamics with the Apes and Caesars rage,,, phenomenal.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War for the Planet of the Apes

Release date: July 14, 2017
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Matt Reeves
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, thematic elements, and some disturbing images)
Screenwriters: Mark Bomback, Matt Reeves
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure
Website: WarforthePlanet.com| Facebook| Twitter| Instagram| Tumblr

Starring:Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Amiah Miller, Karin Konoval, Terry Notary

Plot Summary: In "War for the Planet of the Apes," the third chapter of the critically acclaimed blockbuster franchise, Caesar and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless Colonel. After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind. As the journey finally brings them face to face, Caesar and the Colonel are pitted against each other in an epic battle that will determine the fate of both their species and the future of the planet.

You must be registered for see images attach

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching the trailer halfway through because it looked so damn good that I didn't want anything else to spoil it for me.

LOVED the first movie. was really stunned by how well done everything was. Second was pretty damn good also, but not quite the level of the first. After just a minute of that trailer, I am stoked for the third.

Totally agree. I was shocked at how good the first two movies were. Can't wait to see this one!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on! There was 1 guard keeping watch over the entire prison of apes??? An avalanche just conveinenently appears and wipes out the rest of the soldiers? Woody's monologue that came completely out of nowhere and was totally out of character?

I'm glad you liked it. God knows that you know more about movies than me and no, I'm not being snarky at all, I say that with respect,,, But it was just sooooo absurd the last 45mins or so. I'm not trying to ruin it for you or anything. That's just how I felt. :)

I got no prob with the one guard criticism, but the other two things made perfect sense to me.

I had a bigger prob with the comic relief ape "falling" into a solution, but Dude... movies are hard.

You can always nitpick certain things. There's stuff in The Dark Knight that you could pull apart, but for me, if the characters are driving the story as successfully as they did in this, while sending underlying sociological and political messages WITH MASSIVE action and the best special effects prob ever, I'm not gonna go Ape over a couple plot holes (see what I did there? Me a writer! :) )

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I got no prob with the one guard criticism, but the other two things made perfect sense to me.

I had a bigger prob with the comic relief ape "falling" into a solution, but Dude... movies are hard.

You can always nitpick certain things. There's stuff in The Dark Knight that you could pull apart, but for me, if the characters are driving the story as successfully as they did in this, while sending underlying sociological and political messages WITH MASSIVE action and the best special effects prob ever, I'm not gonna go Ape over a couple plot holes (see what I did there? Me a writer! :) )
So......

You recommend this movie?

:p

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved it.

This has been probably the most surprising trilogy for me. Really wasn't expecting much out of these three movies and they all have blown away my expectations.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Easily the weakest of the three films IMO. Granted, my expectations were high, but they were high going into "Rise" and "Dawn" as well. Great films.
To sum it up with hyperbole....nothing happens.

To sum it up without hyperbole....the story felt unfocused and stalled following the previous films.
To Reeves' credit, the film never felt rushed and was confident in every single scene that involved emotional drama, but never once was i riveted to the screen until
the Ceasar and Colonel scene after being captured. Serkis and Harrelson were outstanding there and the virus was being talked about...interesting stuff.

Harrelson's performance is really the only thing about the film that exceeded my expectations. Serkis was brilliant of course, it was shot beautifully...but in the broader scope i just felt like nothing important or interesting happened...with the exception of
the realization of a mutated virus causing humans to become mute and the death of Ceasar at the end which we all knew was coming anyway.

Humans fighting apes. Ape and human drama. We got a great deal of that with the first two films while also getting an interesting story that moved the needle in the broader scope of the world. WFTPOTA wasn't interesting enough in a sci fi or adventurous way for me and that was my fear going in.
Revenge story, human villain, escape from concentration camp, hero leads his people out of California and dies
...is that it? This one felt VERY safe IMO.

I hope this isn't the last film. I applaud Reeves for taking it to this point. but i hope someone grabs the reigns and takes some chances going forward. For all the campiness, corniness and cheesiness of the original five films...they at least had balls in the science fiction sense.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think a 2nd and 3rd watch will raise my opinion of this one a bit In terms of film trilogies its excellent no doubt. That's hard to do.

Still hoping we get a 4th that goes left field though...and steps out of the box.

hint: Lost manned mission to Mars from "Rise"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Easily the weakest of the three films IMO. Granted, my expectations were high, but they were high going into "Rise" and "Dawn" as well. Great films.
To sum it up with hyperbole....nothing happens.

To sum it up without hyperbole....the story felt unfocused and stalled following the previous films.
To Reeves' credit, the film never felt rushed and was confident in every single scene that involved emotional drama, but never once was i riveted to the screen until
the Ceasar and Colonel scene after being captured. Serkis and Harrelson were outstanding there and the virus was being talked about...interesting stuff.

Harrelson's performance is really the only thing about the film that exceeded my expectations. Serkis was brilliant of course, it was shot beautifully...but in the broader scope i just felt like nothing important or interesting happened...with the exception of
the realization of a mutated virus causing humans to become mute and the death of Ceasar at the end which we all knew was coming anyway.

Humans fighting apes. Ape and human drama. We got a great deal of that with the first two films while also getting an interesting story that moved the needle in the broader scope of the world. WFTPOTA wasn't interesting enough in a sci fi or adventurous way for me and that was my fear going in.
Revenge story, human villain, escape from concentration camp, hero leads his people out of California and dies
...is that it? This one felt VERY safe IMO.

I hope this isn't the last film. I applaud Reeves for taking it to this point. but i hope someone grabs the reigns and takes some chances going forward. For all the campiness, corniness and cheesiness of the original five films...they at least had balls in the science fiction sense.
Couple things.

You have some valid points, but it IS called "War", after all.

Unfortunately this is the last film, everything I've heard is that this is a trilogy. Not sure where they'll go from here.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Couple things.

You have some valid points, but it IS called "War", after all.

Unfortunately this is the last film, everything I've heard is that this is a trilogy. Not sure where they'll go from here.
I just felt that Dawn and War were close to the same film in terms of what we got.

As for the future of the franchise...there are many ways it could go. http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/planet-of-the-apes-sequel-franchise-1201856282/

Unfortunately i don't think modern writers and studios have the balls to move too far away from keeping these things formulated to the widest audience po$$ible.

The Caesar vs Human drama with some action tossed in has worked well but this 3rd film needed more for me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just felt that Dawn and War were close to the same film in terms of what we got.

As for the future of the franchise...there are many ways it could go. http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/planet-of-the-apes-sequel-franchise-1201856282/

Unfortunately i don't think modern writers and studios have the balls to move too far away from keeping these things formulated to the widest audience po$$ible.

The Caesar vs Human drama with some action tossed in has worked well but this 3rd film needed more for me.

interesting... I thought it was pretty incredible and like most of the great Ape movies, spoke to the political realities of our time.

but judging from BO numbers, I think this was the end of THIS version of the series. it cratered HARD from the last Apes movie and might end up as the lowest grosser of the three, even though I thought it was far and away the best of the bunch.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
interesting... I thought it was pretty incredible and like most of the great Ape movies, spoke to the political realities of our time.

but judging from BO numbers, I think this was the end of THIS version of the series. it cratered HARD from the last Apes movie and might end up as the lowest grosser of the three, even though I thought it was far and away the best of the bunch.

In other words, I was totally right. It sucked. :p

Just kidding! I kid I kid plz dont roast me. :)