Walter Football 2020 NFL Draft Grades

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

gave the cards an A-

The Cardinals had every intention of trading out of the No. 8 overall pick, but they couldn't believe that Isaiah Simmons fell to them. Simmons is exactly what they needed to improve their dreadful defense against tight ends. Simmons, who can play all over the defense, will be able to lock down tight ends if asked to. His presence alone will tremendously improve Arizona's stop unit.

Arizona made another great pick after that, getting a steal with Josh Jones in the third round. Both tackles were re-signed, but both also happen to be very injury-prone. Jones is a nice insurance policy, and he should be able to take over as a starter at some point.

gave the packers an F

With the Packers being so close to another Super Bowl, logic dictated that they would add weapons around Aaron Rodgers to help put them over the top.

Instead, the opposite happened, as they reached for Jordan Love, doing so via a trade where they hopped over teams that didn't need quarterbacks. This was an irresponsible decision that in no way mirrored Green Bay's pick of Rodgers in 2005. Back then, Brett Favre was flip-flopping back and forth about his retirement decision, and Rodgers was a prospect who was considered to be in play for the No. 1 overall pick. Rodgers has said nothing of retirement, so using a first-round pick on a raw quarterback was irresponsible. If the Packers wanted a worse version of Jameis Winston, they should have just signed Jameis Winston.

gave the Eagles a D

2020 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I've been covering the NFL Draft for 20 years after building this Web site in the fall of 1999. In those 20 years, I've never seen a draft pick worse than the Eagles' selection of Jalen Hurts. I tried, but can't think of one. I discussed this with FantasyJabber in this video, so I won't rehash it:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was reading MMQB by Peter King today, he was able to observe (remotely) Jason Licht's draft room, he said they called the Cardinals in t he first round and Keim didn't even answer. Said something to the effect of Keim is one of his closest friends and he ignored his call--that says to me Keim was not going to be tempted when Simmons was there by any team.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job Harry. If this situation comes about I would like to think we go after one of these guys.
1. It adds talent taking advantage of another year with Kyler.
2. With a chance of abbreviated college season rankings won’t change that much unless there’s an injury.
3. Devonta Smith would fit nicely.
4. How about Humphrey the center?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading MMQB by Peter King today, he was able to observe (remotely) Jason Licht's draft room, he said they called the Cardinals in t he first round and Keim didn't even answer. Said something to the effect of Keim is one of his closest friends and he ignored his call--that says to me Keim was not going to be tempted when Simmons was there by any team.

that’s good stuff

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
gave the Eagles a D

2020 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I've been covering the NFL Draft for 20 years after building this Web site in the fall of 1999. In those 20 years, I've never seen a draft pick worse than the Eagles' selection of Jalen Hurts. I tried, but can't think of one. I discussed this with FantasyJabber in this video, so I won't rehash it:

The eagles totally botching their draft has given me wings.