Wall St. Journal says Landis implicates Lance Armstrong in PED use

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be another interesting round of denials and lawsuits. Landis of course for years denied he was doping when he was stripped of his TDF title and now has apparently admitted to PED use. In a story in the Wall Street Journal it's alleged that he sent detailed emails where he admits to PED use and implicates many of his former teammates including Lance Armstrong.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
This is going to be another interesting round of denials and lawsuits. Landis of course for years denied he was doping when he was stripped of his TDF title and now has apparently admitted to PED use. In a story in the Wall Street Journal it's alleged that he sent detailed emails where he admits to PED use and implicates many of his former teammates including Lance Armstrong.

If Lance ever did or has i would give up sports :bang:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's already starting. Lance has issued a public "denial" that involved not denying a thing just saying he could sum up Landis' claims in one word "credibility". the coach Bruyneel who Landis claims introduced him to doping, says Landis is a bitter man who got caught, lied for 4 years, and is now trying to take everyone else down with him.

They have a guy on ESPN now who pointed out that Landis went so far as to ask for and take public donations to fund his defense fund to prove his innocence of doping charges. "He stole from people, he took money and now he admitted he lied."

IMHO this is the key to why after all these years and allegations so many people still believe Lance. Everyone involved in cheating loses a degree of credibility so when they come out and name names there is a natural resentment to them, they're not good for telling what they did they're cheaters who are only talking now because they got caught and they're bitter. While it may be true, it doesn't mean they're lying. It's the exact mentality that led to people deriding Canseco for years until it became really obvious he was telling the truth about steroids in baseball.

I don't think anything dramatic will come from this, Lance won't admit if he doped, the coach won't admit it, nobody will prove Landis is lying now etc. It will just be another huge black eye on the sport of cycling.

FYI, apparently Armstrong crashed today in the Tour of California and is being taken to the hospital for x rays. No word yet but ESPN had a reporter on who said he was told "it's not good" so it may have knocked Lance out of the race.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Lance did or did not take drugs but what little respect I had for Landis disappeared with this story. It's one thing to confess but quite another to toss someone else under the bus. What a weasel.

Steve

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Lance did or did not take drugs but what little respect I had for Landis disappeared with this story. It's one thing to confess but quite another to toss someone else under the bus. What a weasel.

Steve

His claim is his admission wouldn't be credible if he didn't name others because implying that he did it alone would simply be unbelievable,and saying he had help but not naming any of that help would just leave people not believing him.

Bruyneel says in the last 2 years Landis has been threatening to blackmail him if he didn't pay Landis money or get him a slot as a rider. Of course he has no more evidence of that than Landis does of any of his claims.

There is never going to be a smoking gun.

What I find funny is Armstrong and others he accused were DEFENDING Landis back when the TDF stripped him, now they're all calling him a bitter man with no credibility. So do they still insist Landis didn't cheat?

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
If Lance ever did or has i would give up sports :bang:

In a sport as dirty as cycling I wouldn't place my bets on Lance to be clean. I certainly hope he is an right now believe he is but I wouldn't bet on him. For me if Kurt Warner was found to use PEDs then I would give up sports, if Lance did I wouldn't be shocked.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His claim is his admission wouldn't be credible if he didn't name others because implying that he did it alone would simply be unbelievable,and saying he had help but not naming any of that help would just leave people not believing him.

Do you find any credibility in this claim? Is he really saying that by not naming names we'd doubt his admission of guilt and start suspecting him of being innocent? Did I miss something?

Steve

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you find any credibility in this claim? Is he really saying that by not naming names we'd doubt his admission of guilt and start suspecting him of being innocent? Did I miss something?

Steve

What he is saying is by not providing more detail people will not believe it. If he says lots of guys did it, but doesn't name lots of guys, it will be less credible. Canseco provided so much detail he actually got some wrong, had dates wrong etc, but as the baseball situation grew it became really obvious Canseco was telling the truth in part because he provided such detail.

My thing is that none of this makes any sense logically. Lance said that Floyd "lost his credibility years ago." Now stop and think about that, Floyd tested positive, was stripped, was publicly defended by Lance and others, spent 2 million dollars defending himself both legally and with "townhall meetings" and wrote a book detailing his defense and how he didn't cheat. The assumption is that Lance means he lied about not cheating and that cost him credibility but Lance defended him too, if Floyd was lying wasn't lance lying too? If lying cost Floyd his credibility now that he's telling the truth about his own PED use, you can't still say well he lost his credibility.

Remember at one time both Landis and Armstrong said that the reason Landis had been accused of cheating was they(USADA) were trying to pressure Landis to talk about possible doping by Armstrong. Greg LeMond even appeared at Landis' trial saying Floyd had admitted to him he doped but said he thought the situation was a witch hunt trying to get him to help officials get Armstrong. So for Lance to now claim Floyd lost his credibility just doesn't make sense because this is essentially exactly what Lance said was going on back when they stripped him. It's just that now Landis is talking about Lance(and others), then he was denying it.

One of the US cycling folks said it best to paraphrase he said I don't know if he was telling the truth when he said the tests were wrong, when he wrote his book, or now that he says he cheated. I just know that they can't all be correct. In other words at some point he clearly lied and for people to be saying he lost his cred years ago implies he was lying then, which means he's not lying now about his own use?

Bruyneel says he just wants to take others down with him, which certainly could be true but it's also the oldest defense in the book. Everytime some criminal turns informant and rats out people he's accused of that. When Louis Johnson told his story about OJ Mayo and Rodney Guillory the standard defense was that guys a criminal why believe him. Now we're getting it with Landis.

If Lance really wants to be believed the first thing he needs to do is provide the texts that he says Landis sent him over the last 2 years essentially blackmailing him. Lance says that Landis is mad his team wasn't selected to participate in the California race and that's why he came out with this. He said Floyd is mad, he's been threatening me for 2 years in text messages, this is just his next step. If Lance came out next week and produced those texts I'd be a lot more inclined to believe him.

Landis lied for 4 years, but that doesn't mean he's lying now, and given I believed all along he'd cheated, I'm inclined to believe him when he now admits he did cheat. It's then pretty hard for me to doubt when he says teammates did too, the level of doping that goes on in cycling is such that one guy on a team "going rogue" is very unlikely.

Just to be clear I strongly dislike Floyd Landis because aside from all the lying I will never forget his stunt at his trial where his manager phoned LeMond the night before Greg was suppsoed to testify and told him if he testified they would leak the story of LeMond being sexually molested as a child. So the next day during his testimony LeMond came out and told the story of being molested as a 6 year old and then explained he was telling the story because Landis' "team" was threatening to out him. Sure enough Landis fired the manager and it came out that Landis himself had told the manager about LeMond because LeMond had told Landis the story while encouraging him to tell the truth about doping so he didn't have to hide a secret for years like LeMond had been doing. That was about as low as it gets, but that doesn't mean Landis is lying now. he spent years doing whatever he could to try and clear his name, now I think he just wants to clear his conscience.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landis lied for 4 years, but that doesn't mean he's lying now, and given I believed all along he'd cheated, I'm inclined to believe him when he now admits he did cheat. It's then pretty hard for me to doubt when he says teammates did too, the level of doping that goes on in cycling is such that one guy on a team "going rogue" is very unlikely.

I suspect he's telling the truth that Lance took steroids but I still think the guy is lying. There isn't an honest or noble bone in that guy's body and the only thing he could have done that would have earned my respect would have been to take his lumps, not try to spread them around.

Steve

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn