Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Murphy was different though. Home grown kid who didn't want to move. We'll never know the whole story, but this one seems off to me.
It's a huge concern when good young players don't want to be here, and sign team friendly deals with OTHER teams.

I don't know how the dynamic changes, short of selling the team. Kyler clearly isn't attracting top FA's!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's a huge concern when good young players don't want to be here, and sign team friendly deals with OTHER teams.

I don't know how the dynamic changes, short of selling the team. Kyler clearly isn't attracting top FA's!
Murphy wanted to be in AZ. He even said he'd be open to a 1 year deal to reset his value in AZ.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Selling the team is a great choice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prediction is we sign Cameron Dantzler, who the Vikings let walk.

I guess we will see if Murphy has any issues passing a physical. The story I just read said that Murphy was expected to be one of the top FA CB's but that most teams interested were looking at a short deal to prove he was healthy so it lowered the value from what his agent expected.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Again - can anyone remember a time when the NFC was weaker? Who the hell is going to be good?
To be fair, it's probably gonna be weak for a few years, like the AFC in the late 80's to mid 90's. It's going to be a race for the next 3 years, to see who can rebuild for long-term success when the tides turn.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im not asking you to create anything. Im just wondering my a person would put themselves through such pain. Its obvious there are a few truly miserable people here due to the cardinals.

Why not just bail?
lol, you ever thought of this when you was crying & creating hate-threads/posts about Kyler?

You’re not a better fan than anyone else just because you worship every move the organization makes.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
To be fair, it's probably gonna be weak for a few years, like the AFC in the late 80's to mid 90's. It's going to be a race for the next 3 years, to see who can rebuild for long-term success when the tides turn.
Makes sense to tank when the QB’s of the best 4 teams in the conference are a Purdy, Hurts, Cousins, and Dak. Insanely dumb management if this is the case.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that people are looking into predictions 3 years down the line. The NFL is a year to year deal - if you're not building to be good every year, it's simply too hard to predict where the world will be 3 years from now.

We could create space, add players, and make a run, and instead our FO is going to punt on the year and hope that being bad again will make things better?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any of those teams can easily be beaten in a one-game playoff scenario with their respective QB situations.

Tanking is the epitome of dumb when 7 of 16 teams makes the single elimination tournament every year.
I know.

I was just predicting what NFC teams could be good next season. That’s all.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
It's interesting to me that people are looking into predictions 3 years down the line. The NFL is a year to year deal - if you're not building to be good every year, it's simply too hard to predict where the world will be 3 years from now.

We could create space, add players, and make a run, and instead our FO is going to punt on the year and hope that being bad again will make things better?
Fair enough.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Again - can anyone remember a time when the NFC was weaker? Who the hell is going to be good?

I don't know. It seems like it's just going to be pretty balanced and mediocre. I think a division can be weak (looking at you NFC and AFC Souths), but not a conference. One of these teams is going to make the Super Bowl and achieve immortality regardless.

San Francisco will be good. Philly and Minnesota will be good. Dallas will probably be good.

Any of those teams can easily be beaten in a one-game playoff scenario with their respective QB situations.

Tanking is the epitome of dumb when 7 of 16 teams makes the single elimination tournament every year.

This is the key fact. Three teams from the NFC East made the playoffs last year. The Commies were contending for a playoff berth through Week 16. I think they controlled their own destiny up to that point.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
lol, you ever thought of this when you was crying & creating hate-threads/posts about Kyler?

You’re not a better fan than anyone else just because you worship every move the organization makes.
"creating hate threads" GMFB.

you and ASUCHRIS should go out for ice cream together

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's funny how because it doesn't fit the sky is falling narrative, no one can possibly think to themselves that in terms of scheme fit and what they saw on tape, this team's new leadership just didn't see the long term fit with these guys. Like, trust me, I've been one of the most negative people on this board for the past four years, but I'm willing to bet I can go back and find at least 50%+ of the people moaning in here claiming that we're trying to fit guys into schemes they don't belong in.

Like, do we have any evidence that Zach Allen is a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE? Any true evidence that Byron Murphy is anything more than a slot WR?

Also, for anyone complaining about "shedding bad contracts" as part of the rebuild, we're still on the hook for upcoming voidable year nonsense from Keim's days, and will be next year. And we're still likely to shed DHop. So... there's part of your answer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here's a question to ponder...guys in the media, like Rapport, are reporting these as Murphy and Allen being 'big-time' defenders or big time signings...but if either of these guys were leaving the Vikings or Broncos to sign with AZ, would they really be considered big time? I don't think so.
This is mouth of Sauron spin kinda reasoning…

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murphy publicly said he wanted to stay home. A report came out he was willing to do a reasonable 1 year deal to reset his value. If Murphy wanted to stay home and Monti didn't make an offer, then it's on Monti. Murphy missed 2 games prior to this season and it was said that if the Cardinals were in it, he would have returned and played through his back issue. A one year deal is perfect for a rebuild and for the Cardinals.

Again though, I said it is on Monti only if Murphy wanted to return. We don't know if he wanted a fresh start with a contender abd we probably won't know.
I don’t have the video, but he was seen dancing around with a sign that read “Free Agent”, so I’m not sold on him being in love with returning to the Cardinals. I like both Allen & Murphy, and I wish they both had been extended last year. But, since that didn’t happen, I didn’t expect a new GM that’s trying to change a losing culture to do so. Barring injuries, and that’s the issue, I expect both guys to do well. Moving forward, I do believe that Monti will take care of HIS people.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's funny how because it doesn't fit the sky is falling narrative, no one can possibly think to themselves that in terms of scheme fit and what they saw on tape, this team's new leadership just didn't see the long term fit with these guys. Like, trust me, I've been one of the most negative people on this board for the past four years, but I'm willing to bet I can go back and find at least 50%+ of the people moaning in here claiming that we're trying to fit guys into schemes they don't belong in.

Like, do we have any evidence that Zach Allen is a perfect fit for a 4-3 DE? Any true evidence that Byron Murphy is anything more than a slot WR?

Also, for anyone complaining about "shedding bad contracts" as part of the rebuild, we're still on the hook for upcoming voidable year nonsense from Keim's days, and will be next year. And we're still likely to shed DHop. So... there's part of your answer.
I thought they were going to build the scheme around the talents of the players available?

Allen could be a really good 4-3 DT, where he was effect for the... checks notes... Arizona Cardinals. Byron Murphy was effective playing outside the past two seasons for the... quick google search... Arizona Cardinals.

Trading DHop actually saves cap money if done this year.

People complaining about shedding bad contracts are complaining because we're not doing that. If we dump Zach Ertz (age 33) and James Conner (age 28) right now we'd eat nearly $20 million in dead money and save about $3 million on this years cap. But then we'd be done with them and clear the 2024 cap and beyond. That's how you start a rebuild.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson