Veldeer Honeymoon is over

BIGRED1959

Go Cardinals!
Reaction score
he has struggled all season and then yesterday "the hulk" couldnt contain a 37 dinosaur from getting to palmer? And the penalties penalties penalties.....

I think our "sure thing" left tackle has come back down to earth...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
When thinking of what the left tackle situation was before he got here, I will take him all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Honestly, when it comes to offensive line play, and defensive back play, I feel this board has a incredibly unrealistic expectation level.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Veldheer is playing at a pretty high level. Last year, he played at an elite level. He's still good but needs to pick it up because he's shown more in the past. Having a new LG next to him is likely causing some problems as they need time to mesh.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veldheer is playing at a pretty high level. Last year, he played at an elite level. He's still good but needs to pick it up because he's shown more in the past. Having a new LG next to him is likely causing some problems as they need time to mesh.

LT that play at elite levels should be able to do that from year to year... Many many do... His penalties are troublesome and seriously he should be able to handle the old man in Pittsburgh with relative ease... His performance this year can't simply be because he has a different LG next to him especially considering who that LG is...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the holding call was BS, Harrison hooked his arm up and under it was really obvious on replay. I do think it was a concern he had problems.

That said, do people really not realize that one of the reasons this offense has been so potent with Palmer at QB is that Veldheer is left on his own on the left side most of the time? We're able to run plays that don't require constant help for the LT and get enough time for Palmer to make plays downfield.

Do people NOT remember before he was here with other LT's that no matter who we had at QB we could not give them enough time to do that? We had constant debates here about why we weren't chipping to help the tackles more. The answer was that Whiz realized he could not run his desired offense if his RB or TE constantly had to help in pass protection.

Arians is the same way, he wants to make you cover his guys, not have them blocking. That means there are going to be times where someone gets beat and the QB gets hit, it's a well reasoned risk Arians takes. It's not Mike Martz but a similar approach, yes we're goign to take QB hits, but we're going to make you pay downfield.

The big problem I had yesterday was Palmer constantly going for the big play where he had other plays open.

Even the one where he missed Brown in the endzone, he had Chris Johnson in the right flat totally uncovered, he could have walked into the endzone. He threw to an open guy and it's a throw he normally makes, but it was the more difficult throw, he did that all day long.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the holding call was BS, Harrison hooked his arm up and under it was really obvious on replay. I do think it was a concern he had problems.

That said, do people really not realize that one of the reasons this offense has been so potent with Palmer at QB is that Veldheer is left on his own on the left side most of the time? We're able to run plays that don't require constant help for the LT and get enough time for Palmer to make plays downfield.

Do people NOT remember before he was here with other LT's that no matter who we had at QB we could not give them enough time to do that? We had constant debates here about why we weren't chipping to help the tackles more. The answer was that Whiz realized he could not run his desired offense if his RB or TE constantly had to help in pass protection.

Arians is the same way, he wants to make you cover his guys, not have them blocking. That means there are going to be times where someone gets beat and the QB gets hit, it's a well reasoned risk Arians takes. It's not Mike Martz but a similar approach, yes we're goign to take QB hits, but we're going to make you pay downfield.

The big problem I had yesterday was Palmer constantly going for the big play where he had other plays open.

Even the one where he missed Brown in the endzone, he had Chris Johnson in the right flat totally uncovered, he could have walked into the endzone. He threw to an open guy and it's a throw he normally makes, but it was the more difficult throw, he did that all day long.

Agree 100%!

nooch

Veteran
Reaction score
More concerning is the fact that Campbell disappears so often when he should be dominating. Lets not forget there starting tackle got hurt and we couldn't take advantage.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More concerning is the fact that Campbell disappears so often when he should be dominating. Lets not forget there starting tackle got hurt and we couldn't take advantage.

Yes that is my biggest concern. Zero pass rush and the Steelers had major issues with their OL.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He has certainly been inconsistent with far too many penalties.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Veldeer had 1 penalty in Pa, which unfortunately negated a great OPI penalty to John Brown.

Disappointing, but his play has been light years ahead of anything we've gotten from the LT slot in a very long time.

Most of our long runs have gone to Veldeer's side of the line. On my list of 10 reasons we lost this game, Veldeer doesn't make the list.

Go Cards!!!

Reaction score
Veldeer had 1 penalty in Pa, which unfortunately negated a great OPI penalty to John Brown.

Disappointing, but his play has been light years ahead of anything we've gotten from the LT slot in a very long time.

Most of our long runs have gone to Veldeer's side of the line. On my list of 10 reasons we lost this game, Veldeer doesn't make the list.

Go Cards!!!
Exactly!

It's football - No one plays perfect 100% of the time.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
LT that play at elite levels should be able to do that from year to year... Many many do... His penalties are troublesome and seriously he should be able to handle the old man in Pittsburgh with relative ease... His performance this year can't simply be because he has a different LG next to him especially considering who that LG is...

I would agree with cbus on this one. Not only is Iupati new on the O-line, but he is NOT a good pass protector, (never has been). He is a run blocker who is looking to find his niche in this O-line.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I would agree with cbus on this one. Not only is Iupati new on the O-line, but he is NOT a good pass protector, (never has been). He is a run blocker who is looking to find his niche in this O-line.

OT: Iupati looked pretty damn good yesterday.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn