Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan suffering from Parkinson’s disease, Lewy body dementia

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan suffering from Parkinson’s disease, Lewy body dementia

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3743576-155/utah-jazz-jerry-sloan-suffering-from

Jerry Sloan is suffering from Parkinson's disease plus Lewy body dementia, the former Utah Jazz coach told The Salt Lake Tribune on Wednesday.

During an interview at his home in Riverton, with his wife Tammy at his side, Sloan said he was diagnosed with the illnesses last fall.

He decided to go public with because the Parkinson's symptoms, which include tremors, a hushed voice and sleeplessness, have progressed to the point where people have started to notice.

"I don't want people feeling sorry for me," said Sloan, who continues to walk four miles a day.

According to MayoClinic.com, Parkinson's disease is "a progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects movement. It develops gradually, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. But while a tremor may be the most well-known sign of Parkinson's disease, the disorder also commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement."

There is no cure for Parkinson's disease although, in some cases, medication can "markedly improve symptoms." But in Sloan's case, the symptoms continue to progress.

According to Sloan, he is also dealing with Lewy body dementia, a neurological disorder that manifests itself in difficulty with memory, problem solving, planning and analytical thinking.

According to the Lewy Body Association, the disease impacts about 1.3 million individuals and family members in the United State.

Sloan, 74, coached the Jazz from 1988-2011. He was elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 and is the third-winningest head coach in NBA history.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... that sucks. One of my good friend's father just died from this. He said it was an ugly ride down to hell to watch it all happen over time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this.

I respected Jerry Sloan so much as a coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Robin Williams had. That sucks!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My grandfather died of Parkinson's and complications associated with it. Watched a once proud, strong man waste away. Terrible disease. Stem cells could potentially offer a cure.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It truly is. A slow, painful one.
As a kid I watched my grandfather (who was over 6' tall) waste away to skin and bones from Parkinson's. And I am now older than he was.

I am sorry to hear about what Jerry Sloan will be going through.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a kid I watched my grandfather (who was over 6' tall) waste away to skin and bones from Parkinson's. And I am now older than he was.

I am sorry to hear about what Jerry Sloan will be going through.

Watched so many with this disease. Sorry to hear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard