USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
PAC is in trouble. All signs point to steaming as main game content provider for the league and suddenly the games will be harder for some to find. If they go Apple TV, I am not sure I will as yet another streaming service.

What that also hurts is the casual drive by viewers who as eyes via cable.

Once again the PAC has completely crapped on themselves and removed all their flexibility and negotiating room.
Pac has been in trouble for quite some time. They've been the least progressive conference for far too long, and now it's coming back to bite them... hard. Once the SW schools leave for the BIG12, Oregon and Washington will jump ship to the BIG10, and then the Pac will be non existent. The Pac's complete lack of vision and foresight is remarkable, to say the least.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
What a disaster. The PAC 10 is really the PAC 8. The four corner schools need to talk to the BIG 12 and put the full court press on the rest of the PAC 4. Oregon St and Washington St are left in the dust. Streaming, unless it is amazon, does not work. Apple TV is not big enough and will be the official death of the PAC.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAC is in trouble. All signs point to steaming as main game content provider for the league and suddenly the games will be harder for some to find. If they go Apple TV, I am not sure I will as yet another streaming service.

What that also hurts is the casual drive by viewers who as eyes via cable.

Once again the PAC has completely crapped on themselves and removed all their flexibility and negotiating room.
I am not getting Apple TV. Amazon makes more sense I would think if streaming is their best option.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a disaster. The PAC 10 is really the PAC 8. The four corner schools need to talk to the BIG 12 and put the full court press on the rest of the PAC 4. Oregon St and Washington St are left in the dust. Streaming, unless it is amazon, does not work. Apple TV is not big enough and will be the official death of the PAC.
Growing up and into early adulthood I was totally into the the Southwest Conference. Then it died. The Big 12 replaced it with a mish mash of Big 8 and the leftover SWC schools.

The Pac 12 doesn't even have that good of options. At least the Big 12 still had Oklahoma and Texas for the new conference. No one in the New Pac 10 is anywhere close to that level.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Growing up and into early adulthood I was totally into the the Southwest Conference. Then it died. The Big 12 replaced it with a mish mash of Big 8 and the leftover SWC schools.

The Pac 12 doesn't even have that good of options. At least the Big 12 still had Oklahoma and Texas for the new conference. No one in the New Pac 10 is anywhere close to that level.

You are 100% right. That's why I never bought the PAC can survive without USC and UCLA talk. The 8 remaining schools need to be realistic and move on. They keep their academic partnerships and make the BIG 12 more viable. The ACC then becomes the next domino and makes the BIG 12, or whatever they call it going forward, more attractive.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are 100% right. That's why I never bought the PAC can survive without USC and UCLA talk. The 8 remaining schools need to be realistic and move on. They keep their academic partnerships and make the BIG 12 more viable. The ACC then becomes the next domino and makes the BIG 12, or whatever they call it going forward, more attractive.
The only thing that makes sense to me, if the PAC 10 schools leftover want to stay among the big boys, is to do a merger with the Big 12. But some of the remaining PAC schools will be out. Oregon, Washington, the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado are the ones who are most attractive. I believe. If it winds up being just four, then ASU and Colorado will be out in the cold.

I said it a long time ago, probably in this thread, it will not be a complete shock if Arizona moves and ASU doesn't.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Moving to streaming makes sense to me. Availability is better than the black hole that has been the Pac12Network. I haven't been able to watch half the games in years due to that. And if it's AppleTV+ then I'm good with that. It's the cheapest streamer and has the best quality shows of any of the services. It just doesn't have the number of shows as the other guys.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Moving to streaming makes sense to me. Availability is better than the black hole that has been the Pac12Network. I haven't been able to watch half the games in years due to that. And if it's AppleTV+ then I'm good with that. It's the cheapest streamer and has the best quality shows of any of the services. It just doesn't have the number of shows as the other guys.

How much does it cost per month and is it part of an Amazon or other subscription or a seperate add on?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
How much does it cost per month and is it part of an Amazon or other subscription or a seperate add on?
It's $6.99/month now. It's not part of Amazon or any other service. Apple does have a couple service bundles though with it, Apple Music, Arcade, etc. It has a number of great show with Ted Lasso (S3 starts the 14th), Foundation, Mythic Quest, For All Mankind, etc. plus some original movies. To me it's the #1 streamer when it comes to the quality of the shows but unfortunately it doesn't have enough of them yet to keep me subbed year round. It's a start and stop service based on what's new.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
My only problem is Apple has less than 7% of the market share while amazon has over 20%. Hulu has an advantage because you can bundle espn+ and Disney. For someone who has kids that bundle is non negotiable. I have no problem with streaming but Apple is not the appropriate platform. You are asking people to add another streaming platform to their budget in an era of economic uncertainty and inflation. It's not a wise decision and would be the final nail in the coffin of the PAC in my opinion.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I just want to document one more note on AppleTV+ incase this happens. Browsing Costco I found that they have a year sub to it for $63 which brings the price down to $5.25/month.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only problem is Apple has less than 7% of the market share while amazon has over 20%. Hulu has an advantage because you can bundle espn+ and Disney. For someone who has kids that bundle is non negotiable. I have no problem with streaming but Apple is not the appropriate platform. You are asking people to add another streaming platform to their budget in an era of economic uncertainty and inflation. It's not a wise decision and would be the final nail in the coffin of the PAC in my opinion.
I have Spotify on my bundle too!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I hope so too! Just seems odd that a deal is still more expensive than what I'm currently paying. But who knows.
Maybe you're in luck if that's all they're charging you still. The $4.99 to $6.99 change happened at the start of November. Googling it, they said back then that they weren't grandfathering plans so I'm not sure.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I heard something today regarding Amazon streaming as it relates to the PAC. Apparently, Amazon wants the PAC to become Friday football TV conference. The PAC seems to not want to become the Friday night games thus they are looking elsewhere.

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me agrees with the PAC but another part thinks, “take control of Friday nights and dominate eyeballs on that night. The problem is, will people find where they are streaming or not? I have my doubts. The whole “it’s football so people will watch no matter what” is questionable when it comes to streaming.

I think the Big 12 thing will begin to gain more momentum the longer the league doesn’t close their tv rights soon

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I heard something today regarding Amazon streaming as it relates to the PAC. Apparently, Amazon wants the PAC to become Friday football TV conference. The PAC seems to not want to become the Friday night games thus they are looking elsewhere.

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me agrees with the PAC but another part thinks, “take control of Friday nights and dominate eyeballs on that night. The problem is, will people find where they are streaming or not? I have my doubts. The whole “it’s football so people will watch no matter what” is questionable when it comes to streaming.

I think the Big 12 thing will begin to gain more momentum the longer the league doesn’t close their tv rights soon
They have already been playing games on Friday nights and it seems no one noticed.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Take it for what it's worth, but this guy said the pac 12 network is hiring and they just leased a huge production facility. Maybe having the PAC 12 network will save the conference in the end.........never thought I would say that haha.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have already been playing games on Friday nights and it seems no one noticed.
I think the conference has had single Friday games but I get the impression Amazon would want the entire conference playing on Fridays

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the conference has had single Friday games but I get the impression Amazon would want the entire conference playing on Fridays
That would suck.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens at ASU if Colorado does bail from the Pac-12. I have very little confidence in Crow and Anderson to be smart about all this, but we'll see.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media