USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona self-imposed a postseason ban and is likely to get a fine and lose some scholarships within the next couple of months. Additionally, Sean Miller has said that he anticipates being suspended a couple of games at Xavier
Slaps on the wrist.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Slaps on the wrist.

How so? Arizona lost a postseason, 5 years of bad press which led to impacted recruiting classes, will assuredly be fined and lose 1-2 scholarships and the coach in charge will be suspended. That’s not a “slap on the wrist.” No one got hurt, raped, or anything malicious. In fact, the overwhelming feeling nationally is that this is whole FBI thing was a mountain out of a molehill

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where is ASU on this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So where is ASU on this?

Everybody is talking out of both sides of their mouths. There were zero leaks that USC and UCLA were leaving the PAC 12 until the day prior to the BIG 10 vote, and we saw the same tight lipped exit by OU and Texas from the BIG 12. Anything you hear now is either speculative or stuff the decision makers want out there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Ten reportedly taking calls but not seeking members.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Big 12 adds Colorado, Utah, Washington, Oregon, and the Arizona schools, they'll have 18 schools in 12 states.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears network ownership failed.

Fans like to watch the games without jumping through hoops.

TJ

Reaction score
I think the Arizona schools will be Big-12 bound when it’s all said and done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big 12 and PAC-12 will not partner as talks end.

Pete Thamel ESPN:

A Big 12 source said that the deal didn't work for the Big 12 for "a multitude of reasons," which included the fact that any potential deal wouldn't have driven much revenue for the league. "It just didn't work," the source said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The door is still open for the Big 12 to invite individual PAC-12 schools.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know everyone expects ASU and au to be a package.... don't count on it. Many "rivalries that couldn't split up" have done just that over the last few decades. My guess that it is an 80% chance that will happen but it is not a given.

TJ

Reaction score
I know everyone expects ASU and au to be a package.... don't count on it. Many "rivalries that couldn't split up" have done just that over the last few decades. My guess that it is an 80% chance that will happen but it is not a given.

We’ll see. Neither school is on the same page as asu is in denial about the impending demise of the conference. That could change with the prospect of being relegated to the MWC because Crow thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

TJ

Reaction score
Colorado and UofA are handling this the best of all the remaining schools by a long shot. Both see the writing on the wall and both are packing their bags not waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think UofA could be the lynchpin to the collapse of the Pac12. I think they see the Big 12 as a much better home for their Hoops program. It's a wash for football since they have been awful.

Others could follow if UofA bolts. If one more school joins them, the Pac is finished and the Big 12 will have it's pick of Pac 12 schools.

I'd really like to see SDSU make the jump to Power 5 and be in a conference with ASU and UofA. They've earned it and I think they would provide a gateway to SoCal recruiting for the Big 12 or a stabilizing force in SoCal for the PAC with potential.

If ASU and UofA jump to the Big 12 with SDSU, that would allow them to keep a bit of a CA footprint along with adding Texas exposure.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely see the UofA being the next school to bolt. I wonder if Crow would follow? He might be too stubborn and stay. He was Larry Scott's biggest fan.

TJ

Reaction score
I definitely see the UofA being the next school to bolt. I wonder if Crow would follow? He might be too stubborn and stay. He was Larry Scott's biggest fan.
I think both AZ teams end up in the Big-12 at the end of the day, but the discussion about the teams potentially not following eachother is picking up steam. Dr. Robbins is actively selling the Big-12 presidents on including UofA while Crow is too busy playing with his dingaling.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Admins and Anderson saying today they were blindsided by the USC/UCLA defections - just somewhere beyond pathetic. U of A and Colorado would be smart to abandon the sinking ship...ASU is chilling with a cocktail as the ship goes down.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
ACC-P10 split conference aka Coast 2 Coast Super Conference. Each PAC team plays 9 games against each other and the other 3 vs the Atlantic teams. Winner of each division plays in the Rose Bowl for a shot at the CFB playoff.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ACC-P10 split conference aka Coast 2 Coast Super Conference. Each PAC team plays 9 games against each other and the other 3 vs the Atlantic teams. Winner of each division plays in the Rose Bowl for a shot at the CFB playoff.
The Rose Bowl? UCLA's stadium. Might as well just do Vegas.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pac 12 is in a tough spot when it comes to expansion with no clear candidates. If you analyze them by football, academics, and market you get the following.

Football:
SDSU
Boise St
Nevada
Fresno St
SMU

Academics (R1)
UNLV
Nevada
New Mexico
Colorado State

*SDSU is R2 but striving for R1

Market
UNLV (Vegas)
SDSU (some connection to SoCal after losing LA)
SMU (gets you in Texas and Dallas, but how many eyeballs are you really getting?)
UNM and Boise St are intriguing markets in the long term as those state's populations continue to grow.

SDSU seems like the clear favorite especially if they can achieve R1 status in the near future. I think adding SMU for Texas is foolish and won't provide what some are projecting. Houston would have been the add before they got a Big 12 invite. UNLV is atrocious at football. If they could steal Nevada's football program, they'd be a lock. New Mexico's football program is on life support as well. Boise St is purely a football play. Academics are lacking and their other sports programs are off the radar. I don't get the Fresno St appeal outside of football, but maybe somebody more familiar with the inland empire could educate me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No mention of the Arizona schools joining the Big Ten among other schools being considered.

TJ

Reaction score
No mention of the Arizona schools joining the Big Ten among other schools being considered.

Big-10 isn’t an option for either

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big-10 isn’t an option for either
Correct. UO, UW, Cal, and Stanford won't be making any serious commitment to the PAC with the possibility of a BIG 10 invite. They'll want a loose agreement that provides no obstacles to leave for when they get the call.

The four corner schools need to read the writing on the wall and jump to the Big 12. Maybe SDSU can come along to retain some semblance of a footprint in CA for recruiting. ASU, UofA, CU, and UU need to be making arrangements. You might even force UO and UW to come along with you for a bit.

TJ

Reaction score
Correct. UO, UW, Cal, and Stanford won't be making any serious commitment to the PAC with the possibility of a BIG 10 invite. They'll want a loose agreement that provides no obstacles to leave for when they get the call.

The four corner schools need to read the writing on the wall and jump to the Big 12. Maybe SDSU can come along to retain some semblance of a footprint in CA for recruiting. ASU, UofA, CU, and UU need to be making arrangements. You might even force UO and UW to come along with you for a bit.
I’m surprised Cal is in the mix. They’re in massive debt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave