Cherundalo - Onyewu - Bocanegra - Pearce

--------------Edu - Bradley--------------

Dempsey-----------------------------Lewis

-------------------Adu-------------------

-----------------Johnson-----------------

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Adu is playing well and Bradley is very disruptive to the Spanish attack. So far so good... now if only Eddie Johnson could put some pace on a shot.

0-0 at half

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
so so SOOOO much better!

Freddie has shown he deserves to start and start taking over this team.. hopefully the knock he took was just a pre caution to take him out cause i would love to see him against messi. Bradley looked horid out there as did Carlos.. his pace was a step slow all night and ***** did ok except for the mistake on the goal..

Hejduk shown he is ok for some depth, but he needs to stay on his feet... actually i think the whole team needs some tackling lessons...

Johnson had some moments, as did edu... was disappointed in Clint for the night... overall was a much better effort for the boys....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Player Ratings...

I like looking at ratings if for not other reason to think that everyone is looking at different games. Check out the scores on Eddie Johnson, Onyewu & Bocanegra I deleted the comments for space but sheesh. The only consistent are the high marks for Adu.

From NY Times...

Goalkeepers
Tim Howard — 6
Brad Guzan — 6

Defenders
Heath Pearce — 5
Carlos Bocanegra — 3
Oguchi Onyewu — 2
Steve Cherundolo — 4
Frankie Hejduk — 6

Midfielders
Eddie Lewis — 5
Michael Bradley — 4
Maurice Edu — 4
Freddy Adu — 7
Clint Dempsey — 5
DaMarcus Beasley — 4
Pablo Mastroeni — NR

Forwards
Eddie Johnson — 3
Josh Wolff — NR

From ESPN.com

Tim Howard, 5

Heath Pearce, 5
Carlos Bocanegra, 6
Oguchi Onyewu, 5
Steve Cherundolo, 6

Eddie Lewis, 5
Michael Bradley, 4
Maurice Edu, 5
Clint Dempsey, 4
Freddy Adu, 6

Eddie Johnson, 4

Subs:

Brad Guzan, 6
Frankie Hejduk, 4
DaMarcus Beasley, 5
Josh Wolff, 3
Pablo Mastroeni, NR

From Goal.com

Howard 6

Onyewu 6.5
Cherundolo 5.5
Bocanegra 6
Pearce 6

Dempsey 5.5
Edu 6
Adu 7
Lewis 6

Johnson 7.5

Subs

Guzan 6
Hejduk 6
Mastroeni 5.5
Beasley 6
Wolff 5.5

From Sams Army...

Tim Howard 4.94
Steve Cherundolo 4.89
Oguchi Onyewu 4.83
Carlos Bocanegra 5.06
Heath Pearce 4.06

Clint Dempsey 2.11
Maurice Edu 4.56
Michael Bradley 4.28
Eddie Lewis 5.44

Eddie Johnson 2.25
Freddy Adu 6.88

Substitutes:

46': Brad Guzan 5.00
46': Frankie Hejduk 5.33
46': DaMarcus Beasley 2.06
70': Josh Wolff 1.31
86': Pablo Mastroeni 4.14

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sorry. Although it was a much better effort, it is in no way acceptable. I outlined my concerns in the other thread. In no way, shape and form am I happy with this game. It's great we saw slight progress, and that some young players stepped up a bit, but this team is light-years from where it should be, and our coach still has no clue. Finally inserted a few deserving youngsters, but then goes right back to inept age when he goes for Wolff and Hejduk as 1st-line subs. Ugh.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cant figure out why Hejduk gets such high marks every game. If you watch the replay he only has one pass that actully ends up in the US keeping possesion the rest are all turnovers. He is awful.

Adu is out future in the attacking midfield plain and simple. He just has no one else to help him out. Edu looked promising as well for only his second game and first start.

Bradley is fine as a compliment to a talented player beside him. He will never be a stand out.

We need Altidore here as well. Get this team lean and tough and battle tested for 2014.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh and Onyewu is our long ball thrower are you kidding me? The only guy that is athletic and tall?

OP
OP
cardfaninfl

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I like looking at ratings if for not other reason to think that everyone is looking at different games. Check out the scores on Eddie Johnson, Onyewu & Bocanegra I deleted the comments for space but sheesh. The only consistent are the high marks for Adu.

Everyone seem to agree on Dempsey's lack of performance, and rightly so. Maybe two years ago I thought Clint would be the future star of US Soccer. Now I'm thinking he could be out of the game in the same period of time.

Watching him play with Fulham it was easy to make the excuse he was playing out of position or there was a conditioning issue that would eventually improve. The shelf-life of those excuses has expired.

I just don't see the excitement, aggression, determination or "cockyness" that made him an exciting young player. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong on this one, but IMO...he has regressed to the point that questions his desire to continue playing at a high level.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Cant figure out why Hejduk gets such high marks every game. If you watch the replay he only has one pass that actully ends up in the US keeping possesion the rest are all turnovers. He is awful.

Adu is out future in the attacking midfield plain and simple. He just has no one else to help him out. Edu looked promising as well for only his second game and first start.

Bradley is fine as a compliment to a talented player beside him. He will never be a stand out.

We need Altidore here as well. Get this team lean and tough and battle tested for 2014.

It was Edu's fourth or fifth game and I think third start, to be honest I don't think he partners well in the middle with Bradley. In fact I think Bradley & Edu should be competing against each other for the same position. Edu played centerback for the U23's in Olympic Qualifying and he played it pretty well so it'll be interesting to see if he is further developed there as his Nat career continues.

I can't stand Hejduk, I've always thought he was the king of giveaways. For some reason he is a coach and often a fan fovorite. He just plays out of control, all he offers is some speed and willingness to go forward but he is a poor tackler & passer.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Everyone seem to agree on Dempsey's lack of performance, and rightly so. Maybe two years ago I thought Clint would be the future star of US Soccer. Now I'm thinking he could be out of the game in the same period of time.

Watching him play with Fulham it was easy to make the excuse he was playing out of position or there was a conditioning issue that would eventually improve. The shelf-life of those excuses has expired.

I just don't see the excitement, aggression, determination or "cockyness" that made him an exciting young player. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong on this one, but IMO...he has regressed to the point that questions his desire to continue playing at a high level.

Dempsey needs a rest or something. He often has a look of disinterest on his face, I'm not sure if he is burnt out or what. He played what had to be a stressful season for Fulham and nobody has appeared in more games for the Nats since Bradley took over. I'll agree though its worrisome, his development is important to the team but at this point he shouldn't be considered an automatic start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort