US Soccer vs. Ecuador 3/25 GDT

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 goals by Donovan!

I heard Donovan said he wouldnt play in the gold cup or copa american. What a lazy bum who only wants to play against sub par talent.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
3 goals by Donovan!

I heard Donovan said he wouldnt play in the gold cup or copa american. What a lazy bum who only wants to play against sub par talent.

If he had the right mentality, Donovan could be a legit star.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 goals by Donovan!

I think that he said that he is unsure about wanting to play in all of the upcoming tournaments, not that he doesn't want to play in any of them. I don't think that its laziness, but more that he still has fits of timidity, but after his performance today and in the last three games it appears he's starting to break out of that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think that he said that he is unsure about wanting to play in all of the upcoming tournaments, not that he doesn't want to play in any of them. I don't think that its laziness, but more that he still has fits of timidity, but after his performance today and in the last three games it appears he's starting to break out of that.

If that's the case then drop his sorry ass from the national roster. If you want to be a star internationally, or even start for the US, you damn well better have a hunger for competition and a yen to go out there and prove yourself.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Feilhaber is going to be our center MF for years to come. he played a great game especially considering it was his first cap. Michael Bradley played well too, I'm really pleased to see how many young guys contribute.

I can't wait to see Simek and Demerit get their chances as well.

Donovan likely won't get to both tournaments this summer as US Soccer won't take him from MLS for almost 2 straight months. I don't think that has anything to do with him or his decisions. I think Donovan is a wimp for not wanting to bring his game oveerseas but I have to say he was the most dominant player on the field today, he could have had 4 goals easy had the GK not got a fingertip to another shot.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
one more thing, those new uniforms are ugly. Look like AYSO uniforms. Worst since the " faux denim" colored shirts from the 94 World Cup.

They should stick to the solid blue and solid white and should add a solid red as well.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jesus people. He says that he wants to be a part of the Galaxy when Beckham arrives, and its a message relayed by Eric "The Sky is Falling" Wynalda, and you guys are ready to kick him off the MNT the same day he has a freaking hat trick.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Jesus people. He says that he wants to be a part of the Galaxy when Beckham arrives, and its a message relayed by Eric "The Sky is Falling" Wynalda, and you guys are ready to kick him off the MNT the same day he has a freaking hat trick.

Hey, if the kid wants to play soccer but has a legit reason not to go, then that's fine. If he's too timid or just wants to back out, or he can't take the pressure of such a big stage, then he's dogmeat, no matter what he did today. Wanting to be part of the Galaxy when Becks arrives is NOT a valid excuse for missing the biggest part of the U.S. soccer team's preparation for the next W.C. No way. Becks will still be there, Donovan.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey, if the kid wants to play soccer but has a legit reason not to go, then that's fine. If he's too timid or just wants to back out, or he can't take the pressure of such a big stage, then he's dogmeat, no matter what he did today. Wanting to be part of the Galaxy when Becks arrives is NOT a valid excuse for missing the biggest part of the U.S. soccer team's preparation for the next W.C. No way. Becks will still be there, Donovan.

My money says he will play and contribute big for the MNT and the Galaxy this summer.

SouthEndZoner

Registered
Reaction score
one more thing, those new uniforms are ugly. Look like AYSO uniforms.

I thought the same thing......My uniform from the last year I played in AYSO looks exactly the same as the ones the MNT wore today.

As far as the game, I thought the entire team looked good today even though it was all overshadowed by Donovan's 3 goal performance. The defense looked as solid as I've ever seen them and the midfield was excellent and energetic the whole game. It could have been better for us too had the Ref called a couple of penalties that he was too scared to call.

Also, I'd like to add that Bruce Arena's lispy pseudo NY Accent got on my nerves and I dislike him more and more every time I hear him talk.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All in all I am pleased with today's game. Ecuador isn't Denmark or Japan, they are a bona fide opponent who made it to the knockout round last WC so to put on a good show today against them is quite satisfying. The ref could have easily called a penalty shot on two different occasions but in the end the US would certainly not need them. Tim Howard played well when called upon with a couple of solid saves at key moments, its suffice to say he will be the go to guy in net for the next couple years.

Midfield: Feilhaber had a solid debut today. He had a handful of minor mistakes like anybody's first cap but otherwise played well and has a future on the MNT midfield. Bradley also did pretty well especially for someone who is just 19. Nobody can say he doesn't deserve a spot on this team. Demarcus Beasley I was minorly disappointed with as he wasn't very visible for much of the day, but he did redeem himself by drawing what could have been a penalty in the box when he was shoved from behind as well as the nice pass to set up Donovan's third goal. Dempsey was pretty much invisible, and when he wasn't he either gave the ball up or missed an empty net.

Forwards: The US desperately needs somebody to step up here. Brian Ching played well and showed some toughness. The best thing he has going for him is his chemistry with Donovan from their time together with San Jose, which really showed today on several plays. I'm not convinced he's the answer to our forward issues though. Eddie Johnson is very frustrating and his funk still continues. He had a pretty lousy day and needs to get back to the form he showed 18 months ago as he is still probably the forward with the most talent on the US roster. I'd like to see more of Twellman, I am hopeful he will get the start on Wednesday against Guatemala.

Defense: They looked much sloppier than I had anticipated since all of them should be in midseason form playing in Europe, especially in the first twenty minutes of the game. Its possible the heat were getting to them. Nevertheless, they settled down in the second half and Ecuador was largely quiet the last 45 minutes. Oneywu didn't look particularly great on a couple sequences and Conrad's lack of speed is a liability. I look forward to seeing Demerit, Pearce, Spector, and Simek who should all get time in the next game.

Landon Donovan: What else can be said? None of those goals were a fluke, and Ecuador is a decent opponent. Each goal was more spectacular than the last, and he was dangerously close to having at least one more. The first was an excellent left footed strike, he showed great patience on the breakaway for the second, and then the third was an absolute rocket perfectly placed. Even when he wasn't scoring he looked extremely dangerous nearly every time he touched the ball today, which fortunately was quite often. He looks completely different from the way he looked for much of last year, and he needs to continue to play without fear. The last couple of games have been one of the best stretches I have seen Donovan ever play, and I think he's going to silence a lot of critics.

There are a lot of guys that didn't play today that will get their chance on Wednesday against Guatemala, which I'm looking forward to. Lastly, I'm not a big fan of the new jersey either but luckily it is an alternate and not replacing the current blue one, which is my favorite. It would be nice if they still had the red "do not tread on me" pre-WC jersey though (which I unfortunately can't find a pic of).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT: Did anyone catch the game on Fox Soccer Channel yesterday between San Lorenzo and Independiente in Argentina? 4-3. Awesome game.

Carry on.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn