Germany downs US 4-1

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Zoiks!!! Well, I will not panic, because we had alot of missing pieces to our real team, but damn, this has me worried.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=362508&root=us=5901&cc=5901

DORTMUND, Germany -- When German players left the field at halftime, their game against the United States scoreless, fans booed and whistled.

Then Germany scored 20 seconds into the second half and romped to a 4-1 victory that relieved some of the pressure on the World Cup hosts and did little to inspire confidence in the U.S. team.

The Americans were missing about half their projected World Cup starting lineup because of injuries and club commitments, and they dropped to 0-9 in Europe against the major soccer powers of Germany, England, Italy, France and Spain. They've been outscored 26-4 in those games.

For the United States, which allowed four goals for the first time since a 4-2 loss at Germany four years ago, it was the last warmup against a World Cup qualifier before their tournament opener June 12 against the Czech Republic. The Americans' remaining exhibition games are at home against Jamaica, Morocco, Venezuela and Lativa.

Bastian Schweinsteiger came in at the start of the second half for Germany and scored with a swerving 25-yard free kick that bounced past several players. The ball appeared to go into the net on a hop untouched, just past the fingertips of diving goalkeeper Kasey Keller. The goal, however, was credited -- at least initially -- to Miroslav Klose, one of the German players in the penalty area.

Oliver Neuville, another sub, made it 2-0 in the 73rd. Klose headed the ball down to him and his looping shot beat Keller, his teammate on the German club Borussia Moenchengladbach. Klose scored two minutes later after defender Gregg Berhalter misplayed the ball to Klose, and Michael Ballack added a a goal with a header in the 79th off a cross from Klose.

Down 4-0, the Americans got a weird goal in the 85th when Keller sent the ball to Steve Cherundolo, who passed up the middle of the field toward Eddie Johnson. The forward and goalkeeper Oliver Kahn twisted to avoid each other. Both fell and the ball bounced into the goal.

Johnson also had a great chance to score in the 66th off Cherundolo's free kick, but Kahn made a diving, one-handed save.

Since a 4-1 loss at Italy three weeks ago, German coach Juergen Klinsmann has been under intense pressure from fans, bosses and politicians.

"Klinsi, will he be gone if he loses today?" read a large headline in Bild, with a picture on an airplane, a reference to Klinsmann's decision to live in California and commute to Germany.

American forward Josh Wolff came out in the 17th minute after he was kicked in the head by a German player. He sustained a concussion and needed stitches, the U.S. team said.

Germany, as expected, applied pressure early. Phillip Lahm made a move to cut free in the seventh minute, but Keller made an easy save on a shot from about 22 yards.

Germany created its first good chance in the 12th with a two-on-one break. Klose cut the ball back to Lukas Podolski, whose shot went wide of the right post.

One minute later, Arne Friedrich crossed the ball in front of the net to Ballack, whose goal gave Germany a 1-0 victory that eliminated the Americans from the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals. Ballack was wide open, but his shot was wide of the far post. In front of Germany's bench, Klinsmann raised both hands, a look of anguish on his face.

Later in the half, the Americans started to assert themselves, drawing boos from the crowd of about 65,000 in Signal Iduna Park. Kahn bobbled Johnson's long bouncer in the 36th, and in the 43rd he had to dive to punch Bobby Convey's angled shot off a corner kick.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I expected Germany to win but more like a 1-0 or 2-1 score not 4-1. Did anyone watch the game? I was at work so I didn't see it.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I expected Germany to win but more like a 1-0 or 2-1 score not 4-1. Did anyone watch the game? I was at work so I didn't see it.

I thought after our win and their loss we would have a good chance but I guess not.

Was it our 'b' team playing or what???

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
I thought after our win and their loss we would have a good chance but I guess not.

Was it our 'b' team playing or what???
The Americans were missing about half their projected World Cup starting lineup because of injuries and club commitments

I also read some of the big German names in the article. It lessens the sting somewhat, but damn, does it smart.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Worst game ever.. After the second score I started drinking heavily...