Updated Depth Chart / Team Needs

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Certainly a better looking roster than a year ago. I sure hope they know what they're doing at C. I really liked Cole and wanted him to start... losing out to Shipley didn't make me feel optimistic.

This is a bone you won't let go of. Shipley got the nod because he is a vet who was far more adept at making line calls, especially considering Murray was a rookie QB who had enough on his plate.

Factor in the Cole got playing time at OG so that's a positive as well and was more valuable as a back up at C and OG since Shiply can't play OG.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is a bone you won't let go of. Shipley got the nod because he is a vet who was far more adept at making line calls, especially considering Murray was a rookie QB who had enough on his plate.

Factor in the Cole got playing time at OG so that's a positive as well and was more valuable as a back up at C and OG since Shiply can't play OG.
I won't let go of it because Shipley:

- Didn't know the offense any better than Cole
- The coaching staff had no loyalty to him
- Was recovering from a torn ACL
- Has always been a relatively limited guy athetically anyways

It's not like he's a superstar who came back to form, he's never been that great.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not like he's a superstar who came back to form, he's never been that great.

Shipley's time in the NFL gave him the edge on picking up any offense quicker than Cole.

No Loyalty but once again your refusal to understand that Shipley would be better at making line calls then Cole is baffling to me.

He was recovered.

Once again, experience can make up for "limited" athletic ability.

If Cole and Shipley were a coin flip choice on who was the starter then the reasons I've listed plus the fact that Cole was better coming off the bench at 3 positions means Shipley gets the nod. Hopefully Cole's etc. playing time last year and a full working knowledge of the Offense and work with Kugler and more time in the weight room means he has surpassed Shipley which is why Cole is listed as the starter and Shipley has been re-signed.

I also have a ton more faith in Oline personnel decisions with Kugler on the staff.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Shipley's time in the NFL gave him the edge on picking up any offense quicker than Cole.

No Loyalty but once again your refusal to understand that Shipley would be better at making line calls then Cole is baffling to me.

He was recovered.

Once again, experience can make up for "limited" athletic ability.

If Cole and Shipley were a coin flip choice on who was the starter then the reasons I've listed plus the fact that Cole was better coming off the bench at 3 positions means Shipley gets the nod. Hopefully Cole's etc. playing time last year and a full working knowledge of the Offense and work with Kugler and more time in the weight room means he has surpassed Shipley which is why Cole is listed as the starter and Shipley has been re-signed.

I also have a ton more faith in Oline personnel decisions with Kugler on the staff.
Considering Kingsbury showed up with a college offense in pocket, I don't really agree with you on Shipley having a clear advantage in being more prepared. He was, but that's not a good look on Cole, who had a full year of starting experience under his belt.

He was "recovered," but still, Cole should have dominated this whole thing.

I don't think they were a coin flip. Cole got buried as 2nd string really fast, and then got moved to a new position. This team has jerked a lot of guys around moving them to new spots, and now Cole hasn't had many reps at C, since he got a few spots at guard during the season.

Trust me, I don't think there's anything to do now besides let Cole/Gaillard/Garcia/maybe a pick fight it out at center. I'm not adding someone in the third round to be the unquestioned starter.

This board has a lot of faith in Kugler. I'm not as convinced he'll turn all of these guys into superstars. I think he's done a good job thus far, but he's done some bouncing around.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Always the pessimist.:rolleyes:
Not pessimism, just not entering the center competition with confidence. Regardless of any draft additions or not, it's going to be a battle to watch, and a question mark we should all have.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shipley has always been a bottom 10 center in the nfl. We could sign any of the remaining FA centers and they would be an upgrade.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Shipley is underrated on this board. He has never been the problem here. Not all pro, but a solid vet. I hope Cole is ready.

I admit I have given Shipley less than glowing reviews and he's a tad below an average center which is still serviceable. I do not think he's better than Sendlein which says something. He's smart and gritty but to say he's never been the problem is far from accurate because he lacks strength and have seen him get blown back causing our back to get hit behind the line or have to change the direction of the run or even totally push the pocket so far back there is none for the QB. Now maybe I am being unfair because he might have been trying to compensate for the guard play but I do know we can upgrade him... as far as Cole being that guy, that remains to be seen

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The reality is that even they draft a RT. Because of Kyler's lack of height they need to get stronger at C.

Hindsight, but Erik McCoy was drafted in the 2nd round for the Saints. Probably the highest graded rookie Olineman last year. Saints understood the importance of fixing the interior for a short QB.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The reality is that even they draft a RT. Because of Kyler's lack of height they need to get stronger at C.

Hindsight, but Erik McCoy was drafted in the 2nd round for the Saints. Probably the highest graded rookie Olineman last year. Saints understood the importance of fixing the interior for a short QB.

Which is why I would still be willing to draft Wirfs as a guard. I think a possible all pro guard is something to be happy about :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Improving the OL anywhere sounds great to me. Center seems to be wildly underrated in the draft. Kinda weird.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Which is why I would still be willing to draft Wirfs as a guard. I think a possible all pro guard is something to be happy about :)
I saw on here that we could save some $ by cutting Sweezy. Maybe re-signing Gilbert could be to start Wirfs out at RG and then ease him into taking over RT eventually.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I saw on here that we could save some $ by cutting Sweezy. Maybe re-signing Gilbert could be to start Wirfs out at RG and then ease him into taking over RT eventually.

I am holding on to Sweezy at the moment. He appears to be the attitude of this OL and the dude is dependable... unlike our recent history, he's always available lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am holding on to Sweezy at the moment. He appears to be the attitude of this OL and the dude is dependable... unlike our recent history, he's always available lol
I think cutting would be the move. However, with everything up in the air about the offseason you probably cant afford to do that. The idea of cutting Sweezy was to move Cole in at RG. These guys having limited OTAs (if at all) makes it tough to lose anyone.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ILB and OLB depth is scary bad

O line depth not much better

Reaction score
I think cutting would be the move. However, with everything up in the air about the offseason you probably cant afford to do that. The idea of cutting Sweezy was to move Cole in at RG. These guys having limited OTAs (if at all) makes it tough to lose anyone.

Sweezy is one of our better oline men. You don't make the team better by cutting one of your better players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sweezy is one of our better oline men. You don't make the team better by cutting one of your better players.

I'd say that there was a chance he could be cut normally but not in the current situation.

He saves us $5m but cutting him which is a fair chunk and if there was going to be a full offseason program then I'd say there was an outside chance he would get cut if one of the depth guys like Gaillard could make a case to start. But thats unlikely to happen now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can't wipe away years of bad drafting and scheme changes in two offseasons. I would argue that we have close to league average players at most starting spots. That is a good step. It is now up to Murray to elevate an average roster to above average results.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA