UPDATE: The Oakland A's ARE moving to Vegas (Approved by MLB owners)

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
It was bound to happen, but it’s a total screw job to the fans. Fisher is one of the worst owners in all of sports.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I would be pissed if I were a die hard fan from the Bay Area or those parts. The A's have a lot of history. they have also been dog crap for a long time now and the community there has not been willing to build a new venue if I am correct? not sure who is at fault there. Las Vegas is going to get an NBA team as well. Vegas are probably going to relocate their airport in about 10-15 years or so and will start building higher structures there to make more room for more entertainment.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
They didn't spend the money to keep the Raiders
They didn't spend the money to keep the Warriors
They didn't spend the money to keep the A's

All three had a lot of success in Oakland, but nostalgia doesn't mean much when hundreds of million of dollars are involved.

The early 70's A's were my favorites as a kid, butneither that ream or the Bsh Brothers era teams mean much to the current ownership.

But there isn't an owner in sports who would surrender millions in profits for warm, fuzzy feelings.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
There was plenty of support for the A’s and there was a decent proposal from the city for a beautiful waterfront park. However, Fisher wanted more public financing.

It was literally the plot of the movie Major League which played out in real life. Fisher hadn’t invested in the team for years.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There was plenty of support for the A’s and there was a decent proposal from the city for a beautiful waterfront park. However, Fisher wanted more public financing.

It was literally the plot of the movie Major League which played out in real life. Fisher hadn’t invested in the team for years.
was it a case of too little too late? 20 years ago moving to Vegas wasn't even on the radar, but they were wanting a new park if I recall. It's hard to believe that the A's have been playing in that park for as long as they have.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
was it a case of too little too late? 20 years ago moving to Vegas wasn't even on the radar, but they were wanting a new park if I recall. It's hard to believe that the A's have been playing in that park for as long as they have.
Yeah I don’t know. I think Fisher has wanted to move the team for a long time. He raised season ticket prices but also did a way with a lot of the perks that used to come with being a season ticket holder. No investment in the team, no investment in the facilities. Al Davis and the Raiders also share a lot of the blame for the Coliseum turning to crap.

The team should have been sold to Lacob instead of Fisher. Thats on Selig.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland has been trying to get them to come here for 5 years now and have several stadium options on the table, all with finances secured. Fisher would have had to give up some of the team and he's not willing. Vegas will be a horrible baseball market, even with a dome. Playing 82 home games is much different than 8-9 NFL games or 41 for a hockey team who has had major success in a short period, playing in 2 Standely Cups, winning 1 and also a Conference Finals. I think the As fail there.

Heck, even the Aces struggled with attendance until they hired Becky Hammon and won a championship.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I don't know, a trip to Vegas to see you team play the A's a couple of times sounds like it might be enticing to baseball fans, even if it is Vegas in the summer.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
What a strange stance for a mayon or a tourism-driven city to take.
It’s because they’ve shrunk the park down to a much smaller size outside of the city limits. She wants a larger park.

Fisher is so bad I can see this blowing up in his face.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s because they’ve shrunk the park down to a much smaller size outside of the city limits. She wants a larger park.

Fisher is so bad I can see this blowing up in his face.
And she is right - the current plan makes ZERO sense.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So stupid to put this on an already crowded Strip. It's not some novelty thing. It is an MLB ballpark.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And she is right - the current plan makes ZERO sense.
Actually I think she is right and yet on the Strip still makes sense…at least it does to me.

Now I despise public money being used for these things so count me as a supporter of telling them to fudge off

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If they put it in that section of land between the Strip and downtown, that might work. Putting it near where the Raiders stadium is would be a disaster.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

There is zero support for the A's in Oakland. Oakland is a dying city. Only a fool would start a business there, keeping a MLB team there is just ignorance

Town Drunk

Reaction score
There is zero support for the A's in Oakland. Oakland is a dying city. Only a fool would start a business there, keeping a MLB team there is just ignorance
It’s completely your prerogative to be wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson