UPDATE: The Oakland A's ARE moving to Vegas (Approved by MLB owners)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This all day. A deal was to be made in Oakland but Fisher wanted public financing. Zero investment in the team over the years. He’s awful. Crappy way for a team with a history like the A’s to leave. Shame on the MLB for permitting it.

All the worse when you factor in that Bud Selig blocked Joe Lakob from buying the team in 2005.

They'd likely be a model franchise and playing in a gorgeous, bay front stadium.

As Dback fans maybe this is fortunate though... Vegas was the obvious destination if Kendrick wanted to pull a similar move.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How Oakland of them - I dont care how much $ the owner has - the facilities and the local support was/is trash. Oakland has actually had some pretty good teams the past few decades despite having very little resources to build with. Oakland the city is dying

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
How Oakland of them - I dont care how much $ the owner has - the facilities and the local support was/is trash. Oakland has actually had some pretty good teams the past few decades despite having very little resources to build with. Oakland the city is dying
Oakland is trash. I'd want to move away too if I was the owner

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Completely incorrect. The local support has always been there. Why should fans show up to support a team, however, that receives zero investment from the owner? A team that routinely trades their best players and plays in a horrible stadium?

They could have had a beautiful water front park. But Fisher is chasing public dollars.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Completely incorrect. The local support has always been there. Why should fans show up to support a team, however, that receives zero investment from the owner? A team that routinely trades their best players and plays in a horrible stadium?

They could have had a beautiful water front park. But Fisher is chasing public dollars.
But the A's are on the hook for at least 1.1 billion for the 1.5 billion dollar stadium. Let's see how that goes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
An absolute screw job to the A's fan base.

Owner destroyed the team and let the stadium rot, had several workable options to keep the team in Oakland but demanded billions from the city.

He's a scum bag.
What fan base? People are acting like there's some great community in Oakland for the A's. There isn't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So when Cardinal fans don’t attend this year in protest the lousy team, Bidwill should just move it?
A’s are historically bad. I don’t really care if you agree or not. NFL and MLB are two different things. NFL didn’t last in Oakland either.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
They’re not attending games. So what do you call that?
They were routinely in the middle rankings of attendance until the early 2000s, when the stadium issues began to really manifest. Fisher bought the team in 2005 and proceeded to trade their best players year after year and did nothing to invest in the facilities. Why would fans want to show up? The plot of Major League is happening in real life.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They were routinely in the middle rankings of attendance until the early 2000s, when the stadium issues began to really manifest. Fisher bought the team in 2005 and proceeded to trade their best players year after year and did nothing to invest in the facilities. Why would fans want to show up? The plot of Major League is happening in real life.
You literally just posted the reason they are moving. I’m not sure what we are disagreeing on. People may follow the As but if they aren’t spending money, what do you expect?

Town Drunk

Reaction score
You literally just posted the reason they are moving. I’m not sure what we are disagreeing on. People may follow the As but if they aren’t spending money, what do you expect?
It sounds like you’re blaming the fans for the team leaving. The fans would show up if they had an owner actually investing in the team.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
And why would they turn out this year, when the owner announced they were pursuing a move to Vegas? A double kick in the nuts.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of the move, but not thrilled with the size or location of their stadium. Interestingly, they will go from having the stadium with the largest capacity to the stadium with the smallest capacity.