UNC getting the Death Penalty? Maryland President thinks so......

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maryland President: ‘I would think’ UNC would receive death penalty

BY ANDREW CARTER

[email protected]

CHAPEL HILL
University of Maryland President Wallace Loh said during an on-campus meeting last week that he “would think” that the NCAA investigation into UNC-Chapel Hill would ultimately lead to the NCAA levying the so-called “death penalty” against the university.

Loh made the comments during a University of Maryland senate meeting last Thursday. An audio file of a portion of the meeting, which was open to the public, was sent on Monday to The News & Observer. Loh’s commentary about UNC came during a question-and-answer portion of the meeting.

An individual who identified himself as a member of the University of Maryland faculty asked Loh how he could be certain that the university is “protected from the corrupting influence of athletics.” In response, Loh made an unprompted reference to UNC

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article143811894.html#storylink=cpy

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guy sounds like a jealous moron.

I had to dig really deep to figure out what the "investigation" was about. Apparently UNC let athletes take super easy courses.

Hey Loh, I got news for you, every University in the world does this for star athletes. Including your own. I gua-ran-tee If I dig into the U of Maryland class registry I can find some BS classes all the athletes take

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy sounds like a jealous moron.

I had to dig really deep to figure out what the "investigation" was about. Apparently UNC let athletes take super easy courses.

Hey Loh, I got news for you, every University in the world does this for star athletes. Including your own. I gua-ran-tee If I dig into the U of Maryland class registry I can find some BS classes all the athletes take

Of course. now let's see you find a BS MAJOR at Maryland. Not just classes, an entire major. And lets see you find a situation where because of the way the classes in that major are coded, kids can take as much as 70% of all their classes in that one major and qualify towards a degree, even though the school rules prevent that.

Yes Rocks for Jocks is common, but an entire major set up to keep athletes eligible is not common. I have sort of seen it before, at Memphis under Calipari, the entire basketball team that lost to KU in the finals majored in the same thing, Interdisciplinary Studies which basically a euphemism for a bunch of disjointed classes that put together will get basketball players a degree at Memphis. as soon as that got publicized, they stopped it, of course Cal had moved on then.

But UNC was MUCH worse. for over 15 years they had football and basketball players in made up classes. It was all under one professor, and his assistant was often creating classes just to put athletes in them who needed a grade to stay eligible. Then he started grading the course work, which she had no authority to do.

At a certain point people at UNC realized they were going to get caught so what did they do? instead of cleaning things up and self reporting, they started enrolling lots of non athletes in the classes. that way when it finally got out, they could claim hey even regular students were in those classes this is an academic issue not an athletic one.

They won't get the death penalty but they should get nailed. It had nothing to do with the team the last 2 years, but the previous banner 7 of the 10 kids were AFAM majors and the other 3 were taking AFAM courses. Even a freshman on that team was taking Independent Studies AFAM courses in direct violation to the rules of the University, freshmen are not allowed to take Independent Studies courses.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

AP Exclusive: SEC's Sankey refuses to step down in UNC case
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey has denied a request seeking his removal as head of the NCAA infractions panel handling North Carolina's ongoing academic case because of a conflict of interest.

Sankey stated in an April 14 letter obtained by The Associated Press that the panel would "fairly decide this case."

"The panel, including me, will hear and decide this case based on the case record and the membership's bylaws," Sankey wrote to all involved parties.
https://apnews.com/cc78efb854cf4a23...SEC's-Sankey-refuses-to-step-down-in-UNC-case

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butch Davis. Read an article few days ago with a large portion of it concerning Butch getting the H C gig @ F I U. He was fired because of the scandal at UNC. Seems NCAA and every other investigator found him 100% innocent of any involvement yet he was demonized and blackballed for 10 years until now. No one would touch him. Innocence doesn't garner headlines.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account@GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago

So, on day when UNC hangs its championship banner from last season & celebrates its version of Midnight Madness, it also finds out its fate.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Norlander‏Verified account@MattNorlander 3m3 minutes ago

Courteous reminder that if NCAA’s Committee on Infractions hands down sanction’s on MBB, program can/likely will appeal. Today’s not the end

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to defend the NCAA but this one is so blatantly absurd. IIRC this is about the African American studies courses and that they were available to any student. Are these courses designed to pump up athlete GPAs and also used by general students to use the courses as electives with a guaranteed GPA pumper? Hell yes they are. Total charade. Same school with one of the highest incidence records of campus sexual assault. Ethics and morality classes must be void of attendance.

IMHO Roy Williams is as dirty as Rick Pitino and he is the Teflon man poster boy.