UFC 76: KNOCKOUT (yep, I'm back again)

CorporalCardinal

Look! A Cards fan in Iraq
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow is the UFC busy this month. As I type this the UFC Fight Night is on Spike and is to be followed by the premier of The Ultimate Fighter 6 Hughes Vs. Serra, and on Saturday the 22nd UFC 76: Knockout

Without further ado, here's my picks...

Michiro Omigawa Vs. Matt Wiman (Lightweight, 155)

Interesting, but let's face it, this is the UFC trying to feed Wiman an opponent. Omigawa hasn't been overwhelming in any of his fights (4-4) and UFC is looking to groom it's own in house talent for the 155 class. Wiman big.

Scott Junk Vs. Christian Wellisch (Heavyweight, above 205)

Junk is a big boy and has to cut just to fight (much like Sylvia), Wellisch is smaller heavyweight who could easily fight at 205 if he wanted to. Wellisch comes out of AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) adn has a strong camp to train with, but a good camp can't save you from a heavy fist. Junk is just a mean beast, but lumbers a bit and is similiar to Sylvia in fightstyle, except aggressive. I have a feeling Wellisch pulls it off, but watch out for the heavy hands of Junk.

Diego Sariava Vs. Jeremy Stephens (Lightweight, 155)

This is a fight to stay in the UFC, they are a combined 0-3 in the UFC. Stephens was submitted by Din THomas (nothing to be ashamed of) in his debut, but has 13 wins to his credit. Sariava has lost twice and has seemed a tad gunshy in his fights. I look for Stephens to pick up his first win and Sariava to lose his shot in the UFC.

Anthony Johnson Vs. Rich Clementi (Welterweight, 170)

Johnson stunned everyone with a 13 second win in June, Clementi has been around forever. Clementi is 1-3 in the UFC and if he doesn't win against Johnson, the old man may be pushed out the door. Johnson is 4-0 overall and seems to be on the verge of making a run. This really comes down to who wants it more. I think Johnson pulls out a decision.

Thiago Tavares Vs. Tyson Griffin (Lightweight, 155)

Combined these guys are a whopping 25 and 1, which makes this fight very interesting. Griffin is coming off a win in what I considered to be fight of the night at UFC 72 with Clay Guida. Tavares has never lost and seems to be making a case for a push to the top. This is just too close to call for me between Tavares' submission wizardry and Griffin's stand up.....I'll take Tavares....I think

Kazahiro Nakamura Vs. Lyoto Machida (Light Heavyweight, 205)

This is going to be a good fight. Machida is undefeated, but Nakamura has faced better opponents. I think Nakamura will win in his debut

Jon Fitch Vs. Diego Sanchez (Welterweight, 170)

UFC 69 was indeed a "Nightmare" for Sanchez, he looked tentative, scared and worried about the take down. Fitch is on a 13 fight win streak and beating Sanchez would toss him up the ladder to probably face either St. Pierre or Koschek. I have the feeling Diego won't repeat his mistakes against Koschek and pulls out the win.

Mauricio Rua Vs. Forrest Griffin (Light Heavyweight, 205)

What kind of mad man asks to fight the top rated Light Heavyweight in the world? Only Forrest would ask for this fight. Griffin is crazy, has such an odd style and is just plain likeable and fun to watch. But Rua is beyond a doubt a great fighter and is a scary pick up for the UFC. I think Rua wins, but Griffin will push him hard and raise more than a few eyebrows.

Chuck Liddell Vs. Keith Jardine (Light Heavyweight, 205)

This to me determines who is gonna fight the winner of Rua/Griffin and who faces the loser. I just have a sneaky feeling that's going to happen and yes I know Silva is coming in December, but he won't be fighting any of these four men. With that said, Jardine has heavy hands and showed it against Griffin, but is beatable as Alexander showed. Chuck is coming off his first loss since UFC 43, but it's not like he lost to a chump (go say that to Rampage.....dare ya). Chuck doesn't lose twice in a row, he tends to focus so hard that he's not beatable after a lose. Jardine got his ass handed to him after talking trash to Alexander, and I think it humbled him just a touch. Look for one hell of a fistfight, and the "Iceman" started on the road back to his title.

That's it, enjoy the fights folks.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
All I can guess at is:

Fitch, Rua and Liddell will win thier matches.

The rest of the card is an education on up and commers cause I don't know any of them. Which makes it exciting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player