UEFA EURO 2020 11 June - 11 July.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Italy 1-0. Aside from just always rooting against England (the national team has an absolute hate-on for Northern teams and a HUGE London team bias), I believe the PL is using all the buzz around the England team and the Euros to distract from the arbitration case/screw Newcastle out of the takeover as long as possible. I'm torn a little, because there's a Newcastle coach doing great work with Southgate right now.
I mean, I'm not really sure that's true. Tonight's starting lineup will probably be:
7 from northern clubs
3 London
1 Spain

I've never really warmed to England squads. Too many big egos, WAGs being a big part etc.

This lot are different though. A real team as opposed to the best players shoved together as individuals.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Italy 1-0. Aside from just always rooting against England (the national team has an absolute hate-on for Northern teams and a HUGE London team bias), I believe the PL is using all the buzz around the England team and the Euros to distract from the arbitration case/screw Newcastle out of the takeover as long as possible. I'm torn a little, because there's a Newcastle coach doing great work with Southgate right now.
are you accounting for Aston Villa, Liverpool the Manchester clubs? I don't know how much longer Grealish can stay at Villa, but I give him a nod for staying loyal to them thus far. I think this squad has been exceptional and I give Southgate a lot of respect for what he's done.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
that equalizer was coming. the worry for me is that England are really struggling to keep hold of the ball. I think the referee has not been fair to Kane. Kane is going down too easily, but he has been fouled more than once trying to hold the ball up for a counter attack. don't understand why mount is still out there when you have players like Sancho that can really hurt Italy's older defence.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that equalizer was coming. the worry for me is that England are really struggling to keep hold of the ball. I think the referee has not been fair to Kane. Kane is going down too easily, but he has been fouled more than once trying to hold the ball up for a counter attack. don't understand why mount is still out there when you have players like Sancho that can really hurt Italy's older defence.
I never seen an overrated player like Kane
Btw England claiming about football its coming but they had just 1 shot on target and 29% of possession

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I never seen an overrated player like Kane
Btw England claiming about football its coming but they had just 1 shot on target and 29% of possession
be careful, he just needs one touch in the box and it's 2-1

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Last 15 minutes of regulation were yawn inducing. Italy just passing back and forth on the back line isn’t very fun to watch.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Last 15 minutes of regulation were yawn inducing. Italy just passing back and forth on the back line isn’t very fun to watch.
both teams looked tired, have to wonder how much italy have left in the tank after the energy they expended in the come back. I don't understand why Southgate is keeping some of the young guns on the bench. now is not the time to hold back.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't know that either side fully deserved it. with a couple exceptions, the penalties were poor from both sides, of corse it is easy for me to say because they come with a lot of pressure. after Italy equalized both squads looked caged and England at some point seemed to switch on for penalties. I thought Southgate waited too long to bring on subs. When Grealish came on their was some spirit, but they never got on the same page in the final 3rd.

OP
OP
Luciano

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Considering the 120 minutes
Italy deserved
The better team won. Chiesa is worth 3 Sterling plus change. Kane is as good as a traffic safety post, so pumped up and overrated.
I drank so many Peronis I’m so happy !!

I love winning the Euro Cup in the city we founded. Londinum around AD 47–50

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luciano

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also Vialli and Mancini get to lift a cup in Wembley after that Koeman free kick in 92.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Coming to Rome !
trophies belong in a home that actually has them, not just in Rome, but Italy are a strong football country in every corner and all points in between. I do think England are on the right track. they do have a chance to win a trophy with the group of young players that they have.
The better team won. Chiesa is worth 3 Sterling plus change. Kane is as good as a traffic safety post, so pumped up and overrated.
I drank so many Peronis I’m so happy !!
Chiesa was a menace and I actually think Sterling was a menace as well with his pace, but lacked the final ball so often. I thought Kane played well today. I don't think he is overrated, certainly people will always make the case that England players are overrated. Kane fed Tripper, ran forward and both Italian players ran at him leaving Shaw open to score. Kane also setup another quality cross that I think Stones and Maguire both missed a chance to score. For me Kane needs to be in the box more. who else is going to drop, or come forward from the back, and play that central role that Kane is often playing. They were using Mount today with Sterling and Kane, but Mount for me is the one that is not necessarily a better attacking option than some other players that England have on their bench.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Leonardo Bonucci:

Watching 58000 fans leaving the stadium before the award ceremony was an unparalleled pleasure
On ESPN after the match, they said that there were Italians celebrating from the flats overlooking the fans queuing at the Wembley Station.

I'm surprised at the passive approach by Southgate. and the penalties were poorly taken really by both teams if you are being honest. the pressure was too much. Italy was not overly convincing for me, but credit them for getting through that nervous start and they were the only ones pushing forward to score before they equalized.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Horrible decision to have Saka take that pen. Italy probably just edged it tonight, but England on the right track for once. Semi and a final and a lot of young players.

Should really have been a red for the stamp on Grealish. Chiellini yanking Saka down was also pretty ott.

Anyway, proper football is only a few weeks away now.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The red for the stomp I can understand. I saw a red card given for less by Michael Oliver earlier in the tournament. The one where saka got yanked down, I thought he handled the ball before that.

If I were an English supporter I would be very proud of my country, and it would be hard to be overly critical considering the results that they have had in recent times. I can only dream of the USA playing in a final like that. Southgate has a quick turnaround to improve and bring a trophy to England. I do think they let one get away today and maybe that’s just part of the growing process. I think they need to be a little more attack minded overall.

OP
OP
Luciano

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think England scored too early messed up the game plan and after that the pressure was too much. Italy had nothing to loose and a lot of time. Pressure was too much at home and everything.

Southgate after taking lead and stopped playing, nothing else than staying in the low blockwith 88 minutes left. No lessons learned from Croatia. Mancini was proactive, Subbing Immobile changed the game.

Italy changed it up and put Insigne as a false 9 and another nippy wide forward in Berardi suddenly all of Italy's front three can beat men 1 v 1 and attract defenders. England refused to change and invited waves of pressure.
Kane never touched the ball inside the Italy box in the entire game.
Jorginho has set a new record for the most interceptions made at a single European Championship tournament (25) since Opta data has been collected (1980).One more than Marcel Desailly at Euro 1996.
Italy dominated the game.

You must be registered for see images attach
Penalties are a coin toss, who misses first usually wins.
I hope the penalty doesn’t haunt that 18 years old kid.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought England played well in the first 20-30 minutes as you would expect. But they needed more than just 1. Italy had a lot of possession yes, they were pushing forward to equalize for a very long time. Coming out of the half England seemed more intent on keeping a clean sheet rather than scoring a second goal. I thought Italy’s central midfield did out play England’s as you pointed out. And Italy’s substitutions did make a difference a lot more than England’s subs which I thought were head scratchers. A lot of Italy’s possession was not overly threatening for me, it was more of England sitting and hoping for a counter that never materialized. I think Pickford maybe had to make one strenuous save on Chiesa if I recall correctly. Pickford was beaten on another effort by Chiesa, but it was wide to the right. Finally the lone Italian goal came on a ping pong corner that you would have liked England’s chances to defend. It goes to show why you get punished for sitting back and playing to defend. England tried to respond after the goal, and when grealish came on they finally had some positive movement but of corse Italy defended it well and nothing came of it. I thought overall it was a conservative approach especially by England, but both sides after the equalizer seemed defensive. both sides battled defended well.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Was nice to see Italy take it

Definitely think England were looking to get to penalties, which is odd because I wouldn't necessarily favor them in penalties.

Also like the 2 guys they brought in just for penalties both didn't convert.

Cynically after it ended my thoughts went to hire I'd hate to be those 3 anywhere near social media - just assumed the would be a ton of racial abuse

Sadly it doesn't seem like it was all that cynical

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose