UA vs Iowa

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
This is the big non-conference game for the Cats. Early line has Iowa favored by 6. I think this will be a low scoring defensive battle. Hopefully the run game will keep it up and Scott can play a solid game. Our defensive speed should present many problems for the Hawkeyes. Should be a fun one to watch. Go Cats!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'll be there, not expecting a win however. Offensively you need to spread out Big 10 teams and we haven't shown an ability to do that this season.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
This is were I put aside my dislike for the Cats' football program and pray for a miracle. It is so important for the PAC-10 teams to dominate their non-conference schedule. I get sick and tired of hearing about the week PAC-10 (claiming there is only one good team and nine crap organizations). It would be nice for Arizona to get the win.

How? Not a clue, I have seen Coach Stoops enough to have little or no confidence in his ability to get more out of less. I just hope they can put it together and represent.

Go Cats!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott will have to do more than avoid mistakes. He'll have to make plays. But I do think UA will walk away with this one.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'll be there, not expecting a win however.

Good luck. I went a few years ago when ASU played Iowa and they were the rudest fans I've ever encountered. ASU got clobbered that game and every time they did something good (which was rare) I stood up and clapped like a normal person (no excessive or crazy cheering) and the 400lb corn fed behemoth next to me kept sliding over towards my direction on the bench. He was trying to give me as little sitting room as possible, and at one point I went to sit down without looking and ended up in his lap.

Walking to and from the game I was constantly screamed at for having an ASU windbreaker on, people were swearing, etc. Just a bunch of rural retards from what I can tell.

I think the overly brashness of a fan base can be directly correlated to how small the town is. In a small town where there's nothing to do some folks seem to take college athletics way too seriously, I suppose that may have been the issue in Iowa.

EDIT: VV Yah theres good fans and obnoxious fans everywhere, but from my very unscientific poll (personal experience) the ones in small towns are the worst. The best I ever encountered were Northwestern fans. They live in a big, beautiful city with lots to do and support a terrible program, they don't take anything too seriously and are just having fun.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd agree except I've gone to games at the Coliseum and Pauley Pavilion and those people are the most brash, arrogant a-holes I've ever encountered. Same with many Illinois fans most of whom are Chicagoans. And I won't even go into the things I've heard at big city Sun Devil Stadium and Wells Fargo. It's not a big city/small city problem, it's an idiot and often drunk fan problem that every team has.

Not too worried about it, I'm going to be with several Iowa people along with some Arizona friends. And we're sitting in the Arizona section so I don't anticipate many issues there. If we manage to win however I'll be as gracious as possible. Probably be singing Mike Stoops praises as much as possible so that it hopefully falls on the right ears and Iowa hires him away from us.

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I get harassed every time I put on an ASU shirt/hat/sweater here in Tucson. Most of the harassment is in good fun, but I have been cursed at and yelled at - and this was around town and not on game day. For that reason, I took off my 'ASU' window decals in order to avoid vandalism around town.

I think it all boils down to 'some fans' on every team... When we go to the rivalry game (in Tucson) dressed in Maroon and Gold, 90% of the fans just laugh and tease. Only about 10% throw stuff and scream. Of course, we stay away from the student section - my fighting years are long behind me. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
I get harassed every time I put on an ASU shirt/hat/sweater here in Tucson. Most of the harassment is in good fun, but I have been cursed at and yelled at - and this was around town and not on game day. For that reason, I took off my 'ASU' window decals in order to avoid vandalism around town.

Thats different though, its a long standing, heated rivalry. I expect stuff like that between ASU-UA, 'Bama-Auburn, etc. But ASU-Iowa? It doesn't make any sense in an out of conference game between schools that rarely play each other which is why I though the Iowa fans were particularly obnoxious.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It just got a little harder for the UofA to upset Iowa because Rob Gronkowski is out for the game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Games not over, although I am still fuming over that fake FG. At least we get the ball in the 3rd

TJ

Reaction score
Iowa defense knows exactly what we are going to do before we do it. Scott is ineffective, Grigsby isnt getting enough touches, haven't seen Antolin at all to change things up. No signs of life from the offense

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iowa defense knows exactly what we are going to do before we do it. Scott is ineffective, Grigsby isnt getting enough touches, haven't seen Antolin at all to change things up. No signs of life from the offense

We are right there but cant do crap.. What I meab is the gameis in reach and absolutly nothing is happening.... :bang:

TJ

Reaction score
Reminds me of the Cards game last weekend. Defense held their end of the bargain, offense failed to show up. Poor execution and poor coaching.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not sure he'll ever be. Way too gunshy. Foles has looked better for months, now the public opinion is going to be stronger than the politics that kept Scott in there so I'm assuming Foles gets a lot more run

Wildcat05

Veteran
Reaction score
Foles should start next week. Scott just isn't a passer at this point in his career.

Agreed. Although the game was already out of reach Foles did march the team down for a touchdown. If Foles has a fill week to prepare, as a starter, I'm sure he'll be able to work out some of the miscues that he had today.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Foles should start next week. Scott just isn't a passer at this point in his career.

Foles definitely should start. He has been the better passer since spring ball. Rumor has Scott saying he is going to transfer if he does not play, if that is true, let him transfer. They don't need someone like that. Besides, Morrison is going to be better than Scott.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Cards game last weekend. Defense held their end of the bargain, offense failed to show up. Poor execution and poor coaching.

I had the same thought.. Not a memory I wanted to revisit.. :bang:
A few big plays were given up, but I do agree that the offense struggled. Outside of the Int for TD in the 1st half the defense did enough to keep the Cats in the game until about the end. Whenever an Iowa WR was there to catch a pass, the DB was right there and made the tackle. Easy to say it now, but the Cats probably should have just kicked the FG.

The Hawkeyes played a pretty good game on both sides of the ball. Again tho, they gave up a few big plays as well. Overall the game went about the way I thought it would. Iowa was at home, so considering both teams are about equal they should win at home. Next year AZ should win by a score or two at home.

TJ

Reaction score
I always want scrambling, mobile QBs to succeed and become multi-dimensional, but at the end of the day, they are just glorified running backs or wide receivers.

IMO, Foles should lead the way the rest of the season.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I'm not sure he'll ever be. Way too gunshy. Foles has looked better for months, now the public opinion is going to be stronger than the politics that kept Scott in there so I'm assuming Foles gets a lot more run

Foles definitely should start. He has been the better passer since spring ball. Rumor has Scott saying he is going to transfer if he does not play, if that is true, let him transfer. They don't need someone like that. Besides, Morrison is going to be better than Scott.

Are these two statements related?