Tyrann Mathieu Visiting?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KFFL update as today cites Somers as reporting that Mathieu will be paying the Cards a visit.

Without getting into the teeth of a "character vs. talent" debate, it does seem that there has been a policy shift under Keim - the Cards are bringing in guys with a bit of baggage for interviews. Christopher (who overslept through 2 combine meetings) was one. Mathieu is another, and I think there were one or two more.

At the very least, there seems to be a new policy of giving guys like that chances to explain themselves rather than write them off our board as an automatic matter of policy.

Thoughts?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Fine with me, as long as he isn't visiting DesertDawg's house.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are just one of many:

Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reported Friday that Mathieu will visit the New England Patriots on April 5. Four days later, Mathieu will meet with the San Francisco 49ers, an NFL source told Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Mathieu also has scheduled visits with the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals, Houston Texans, Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons, according to a source briefed on Mathieu's schedule.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The dude was a Heisman candidate, he is certainly worth a look.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the kid is VERY good. But definitely has character issues (making the same stupid repeated mistake so many times makes you question his decision-making abilities in general). If he's around late, I wouldn't be mad if we snag him. Assuming he interviewed well

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Staying away from questionable characters, was one of the few things this organization has done right.. Unfortunately we seem to stay away from talent for the most part as well.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We definitely need at least one safety, but seem set (at least on paper) at CB. My question is, can he play safety? Is he physical (size wise) enough for the position?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
We definitely need at least one safety, but seem set (at least on paper) at CB. My question is, can he play safety? Is he physical (size wise) enough for the position?

He is a ballhawk and not a great cover corner. I could see him being a FS and try to play centerfield and use his speed to to close the distance.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
KFFL update as today cites Somers as reporting that Mathieu will be paying the Cards a visit.

Without getting into the teeth of a "character vs. talent" debate, it does seem that there has been a policy shift under Keim - the Cards are bringing in guys with a bit of baggage for interviews. Christopher (who overslept through 2 combine meetings) was one. Mathieu is another, and I think there were one or two more.

At the very least, there seems to be a new policy of giving guys like that chances to explain themselves rather than write them off our board as an automatic matter of policy.

Thoughts?

Kid is a player.

And everyone deserves a second chance. I got mine and I was able to turn things around for the most part.

Some do, some don't.

A rookie contract is a very manageable one, so a 3rd round or 4th round pick for a boom or bust, who if he goes "boom" could give the Cardinals one of the best CB tandems in the league, and certainly the most promising.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He will be gone by middle of third round, and maybe even late second. His upside is huge, IMO. I wouldn't be upset if we moved down in the second round and took him.

Tavon Austin in the first and him in the second. Talk about increasing the explosiveness of our team...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
He will be gone by middle of third round, and maybe even late second. His upside is huge, IMO. I wouldn't be upset if we moved down in the second round and took him.

Tavon Austin in the first and him in the second. Talk about increasing the explosiveness of our team...

Please allow me to piggy-back on this thought:

7. Tavon Austin, WR/RB/KR, West Virginia

TRADE: Arizona trades the #38 pick to the Dolphins for the #42 and #82 picks.

42. Tyrann Mathieu, CB/FS, LSU

69. John Simon, OLB/DE, Ohio St.

82. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

103. Brian Schwenke, C, California

140. David Quessenberry, T/G, San Jose St.

174. Ricky Wagner, T, Wisconsin

176. Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
He is a ballhawk and not a great cover corner. I could see him being a FS and try to play centerfield and use his speed to to close the distance.

Agreed. He has almost certainly learned 'something' from PP's efforts to help him here in the desert, AND we could use a good center-fielding FS who might grow into an eventual replacement for Rhodes. I know that he is visiting a number of attractive places, but the fact the PP had such a good influence on him during the early days of this off-season cannot but help us to be high on his radar. PP has been, (and would continue to be), a good influence on a youngster like this.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I want this kid on this team from any round.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I like your thinking. I do think Schwenke goes earlier though.

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regardless of Palmer - if the right QB is there at the right point in the draft, I think we'll nab him.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

...and decreasing the size. :D

I agree, it sounds like he might be there in the 3rd. He won't in the 4th.

I think Mathieu is a nickel slot corner only due to his size. I'd be okay with using that pick at the top of the 3rd because I think he will be dynamic in that role. No higher though, for me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Actually to move up 4 spots in the 2nd round u dont get an extra 3th round pick

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Actually to move up 4 spots in the 2nd round u dont get an extra 3th round pick

You do if it's a special player the other team wants and has a feeling that a team between them and the Cardinals will take him.

The Dolphins have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders---so moving up to take the players they want is all the more feasible in this scenario.