Turn: Washington's Spies

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Am I the only one watching this show? It's my favorite on AMC since Mad Men. Follows the story of a guy from Long Island who becomes embroiled in a spy ring for General Washington.

Season 1 was a little slow, but 2 and 3 (so far) have been really good. Is it historically accurate? Meh... Somewhat, but embellished for plot purposes. Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix, season 3 is airing now on Monday nights in the Better Call Saul timeslot.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying it. One of those shows where the lead is rather weak, but the story and the rest of the cast nails it. This is the best George Washington I've ever seen, I think.

OP
OP
HeavyB3

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying it. One of those shows where the lead is rather weak, but the story and the rest of the cast nails it. This is the best George Washington I've ever seen, I think.

Major Simcoe is my favorite character. Although Simcoe in real life seemed like a good guy. Tried to form an all black regiment of the kings rangers, abolished slavery as the territorial governor of Canada far before the rest of the British Empire... but in the show, he's sadistic and a badass.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gonna start this today! Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This show is almost as good a vocabulary lesson as ASFN!

Two new words I learned from the first 10 minutes of this show...

"Cashiered" - dismiss (someone) from the armed forces in disgrace because of a serious misdemeanor

"Redressed" - to remedy or set right

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just finished season 2, really like this show.

How do you watch Season 3? I cant even find it on AMC's website. WTH?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone else watching season 4? It's been brutal but really good. So far it's shaping up to be the best season for me. (which makes me sad that this is the final season)

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Any way to start this from the beginning? Really wanted to watch it when it first came out but life got in the way.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone still watching? IMO Season 4 has been the best one thus far, which makes me sad that this is the final season.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I have it on my list ... only saw the pilot episode, then got sidetracked with The Last Kingdom and Cuba Libre (which I highly recommend!).

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have it on my list ... only saw the pilot episode, then got sidetracked with The Last Kingdom and Cuba Libre (which I highly recommend!).

I'll check those out because I'm in a bit of a show hole and have been re watching old stuff. Thanks!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just started season 2. Binged season 1 last week. Love this show. And can't help but google each character as they appear. I'm shocked at how authentic (obviously within reason) this has been thus far. Obviously they take license with actual personality and actions, but from what I've read historically in regard to each character they seem to be portrayed fairly accurately. Albeit I've only researched the Continental spies and not much of the Brits (hence the comment above re Simcoe being a bit of a surprise).

But if you like history I think this is really well-done.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Waiting for this to come to Prime. Really want to check it out.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well it's over. We won the war! Spoiler alert! :p

All in all I really liked this series. It was a little slow in parts and had one of the least likable protagonists ever, but it all kinda made sense in the end.

Real spoiler alert

I loved Abe's letter to Thomas as the end. I loved his thoughts on "Americas Contradictions." Good thoughts to ponder for all modern Americans.

They did a good job of staying true to history while adding as much TV drama as they could. It was a somber finale as everyone did not get a happy ending, but that is life, and that is war.

It was a cool look inside the inner circle of our founding fathers.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bert, well said. A little slow in parts and one of the least likeable protagonists ever--yes! Bell was godawful! The villain was so much better. Still loved the show. Not that I'm comparing the actors (villains), of course, but it's like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ok, started re-watching this. Just started on Season 2, which is better than season 1.

I have the same problem was Ouchie - takes me longer to watch the episode 'cause I go and google each character, lol. Simcoe was a real character but highly fictionalized. Couldn't they just give him some other random name? Love John Andre - suave, sophisticated, lady's man.

I have a crush on Ben Tallmadge :)

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Just finished watching all four seasons. Absolutely fantastic. Wish that it would have continued. I didn’t mind Bell. The actor who played Simcoe was superb, but I didn’t think Bell was bad.

I really like how they stayed true to the actual history, for the most part.