Trade Goldschmidt in 2017?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Diamondbacks are out of the race by mid-season break of 2017 I think they should shop Goldy.

He will have 2.5 years of incredible value left. He's hired a new agent who specializes in jumbo contracts. He'll be approaching age 30 and any following contract will be most likely negative total value to the team (not that he will be of negative value, just not worth what we're likely to pay him next contract).

At this point (should it come to fruition) the organization would most likely receive more future value by trading him than by resigning him.

Tough call, but a small market franchise has to make these kind of calls more often.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It won't happen, but I don't think its a dumb idea to entertain the idea. I wouldn't do it unless we got a kings ransom .

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If after 2017 this team is competitive, the team should field offers. Id imagine that the market would be very demanding for his services.

Then again, this is the D-Backs, so we should only expect a Single-A backup shortstop in return.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He would fetch a ton in return. He has one of the most, if not THE most team-friendly contract in the game today... HOWEVER - this is a non issue as IMHO, trading Goldy should not ever be considered. I know this isn't a perfect comparison due to market size differences... but, just as Jeter never left NY, Goldy should never be allowed to leave Phoenix...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Goldy already got smoked on his first deal. He's not taking anything less than his FA market value if the Diamondbacks offer an extension this summer.

It will likely play out like the Prince Fielder situation in Milwaukee and he'll just walk. At least the Brewers had the contending excuse though.

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would fetch a ton in return. He has one of the most, if not THE most team-friendly contract in the game today... HOWEVER - this is a non issue as IMHO, trading Goldy should not ever be considered. I know this isn't a perfect comparison due to market size differences... but, just as Jeter never left NY, Goldy should never be allowed to leave Phoenix...

The market differences alone kill this comparison. You might as well ask for a new owner and 20M more local eyes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1