Trade for Sean Payton

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’d start with a 4th and see how much they’re willing to bargain. A day 2 pick isn’t bad value if they determine a split next year is inevitable. They can’t fire him so a change of scenery without a buyout makes sense for the Saints.

Reactions: TJ

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t know if he’s really be available, but I would trade a 1st and 2nd (i mean they’re useless in Keim’s hands anyway) for Sean Payton. I think he’s exactly the guy who would command kylers respect but demand excellence of kyler. And I think he would maximize whatever offense we put out on the field.

Absolutely great idea, Ouchie! I would trade a #1 and more in a second to get Peyton. I think that would probably be the best potential move Bidwill could make this offseason.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Payton is way too smart to take on a roster this flawed, but if he wanted to come here, he would absolutely be worth a first round pick. Especially if Keim is still around to waste that first round pick, anyway.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don’t know if he’s really be available, but I would trade a 1st and 2nd (i mean they’re useless in Keim’s hands anyway) for Sean Payton. I think he’s exactly the guy who would command kylers respect but demand excellence of kyler. And I think he would maximize whatever offense we put out on the field.

I think he would certainly make or break Murray. Either way it would be good for the team so we know if he's for real or not. Personally I think Murray will break.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The problem is Kliff is still employed. We’lll need a new GM as well.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerry Jones will pay Payton big bucks and there is already a good relationship as he was the QB coach for the Cowboys under Bill Parcells. Jones will fire McCarthy to get Payton. Payton may sit out the 2022 season and be HC of the Cowboys in 2023.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some of your better work. Have to admit it's tempting.
I have to admit, I was proud of this one. I don’t often go in for the “what if we get this guy” 100% conjecture bc that’s all it is. But if there’s really a chance a guy like Payton is available he’s a total game changer. Couple that with the meager return we get with draft picks from keim as it is and it just seemed a no-brainer. A Collins and Moore for Payton? Yes please.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying Sean Peyton is a horrible coach. But is he really worth draft capitol? He has coached the Saints since 2006 15 years. He has won one SB. Has basically fizzled in the playoffs every other season he has made it. And had the luxury of having Drew Brees for 14 years. Much easier to look good when you have a HOF QB at the helm for a decade and a half. I wouldn’t scoff at hiring if it was possible but I certainly wouldn’t trade high end draft picks for hm. This is the same guy that thought Jamis Winston was an answer. Yikes.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never before would I have entertained trading draft capital for a coach. This is the perfect storm. At 58 Payton is not too old. He could coach kyler for a decade. He’s coached short QBs successfully. He’s utilized running QBs as he’s put in specific packages for Taysom. He’s won a super bowl, so he’s got gravitas. He’s shown he can create a running game even with mediocre backs like anyone other than kamara that’s played in his system. I believe he would be a free agent attractor. He would bring instant legitimacy to the franchise. His offense have been flexible enough to move between featuring TEs, WRs, or RBs . . . wherever the talent exists. His defenses and special teams never seem to be god awful. And he would check keim. Trade the picks. Get Payton.
Who can argue with any of this? I especially like his experience developing/coaching short QB's. Does anyone think that Brees would have had the career he had without his time in New Orleans under Payton? Considering we hired BA at 60 & he's won a SB & is still coaching gives me no pause at all hiring Payton at 58.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who can argue with any of this? I especially like his experience developing/coaching short QB's. Does anyone think that Brees would have had the career he had without his time in New Orleans under Payton? Considering we hired BA at 60 & he's won a SB & is still coaching gives me no pause at all hiring Payton at 58.
Yes I believe Brees would have 100% been hugely successful with or without Peyton. Draft capitol for Peyton is laughable.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
He's retiring. " Give me a better quarterback ill rethink this decision_

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I believe Brees would have 100% been hugely successful with or without Peyton. Draft capitol for Peyton is laughable.
He wasn’t “hugely” successful in SD snd that was with Tomlinson, their stud HOF TE and always good WRs. He was solid but he never won a playoff game and was nothing near the record setting, first ballot lock HOF QB he became under Peyton.

You can’t really look at these stats and argue he didn’t take a quantum leap as a QB under Peyton. He was an above average game-manager in SD. He was one of the best QB’s of all time in New Orleans.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn’t “hugely” successful in SD snd that was with Tomlinson, their stud HOF TE and always good WRs. He was solid but he never won a playoff game and was nothing near the record setting, first ballot lock HOF QB he became under Peyton.

You can’t really look at these stats and argue he didn’t take a quantum leap as a QB under Peyton. He was an above average game-manager in SD. He was one of the best QB’s of all time in New Orleans.
Agree on his first 3 years. His last two years he clearly was becoming a very good QB. 65% comp % really good TD to int ratio. QB rating in the kid 90s between the two seasons. There is a reason the Saints took a chance on him even with the destroyed shoulder. I’m sure Peyton helped no doubt. But I have zero doubt that guy was gonna be a very good QB for a very long time with or without Peyton. He was easily and clearly trending upward prior to Peyton. Experience and hard work(not something Kyler is shown he is willing to do outside a weight room). Like I said I like him and would hire him if available. But I’m not giving up draft capitol to take him from NO. No way.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just wait a year. I made a post on this. He is leaving for a year. We can get him free the following year

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok. Since everyone around here seems crazy. Let’s go this route.

Let’s trade Kyler Murray for Aaron Rodgers. Then trade first and 2nd for Sean Payton. We have 3 years to win a Super Bowl.