OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We watched it on Paramount + last night and loved it. Which surprised me because I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and i expected not to like it but it was really good. I wish I'd read this first the sound thing was absolutely there in the streaming, I had to turn the volume up but then parts were too loud.

We also had a weird glitch at the end that I think was the stream itself, as they're flying back to the ship suddenly a blue rectangle appeared vertically in the middle of the screen and stayed there for several minutes. I also could not stop the movie at that point. Eventually it just crashed back to the prior screen and asked if I wanted to resume or start over. I picked resume and it went back about 5 minutes and played flawlessly to the end.

Really good movie though I was quite surprised
We had the same blue rectangle experience.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I found this video series fun to watch. It's two former fighter pilots reacting to all of the plane scenes in the movie. This is the first of the eight of them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Academy and it’s members are smart, they’ll figure out a way how to get it nominated. The last couple years, the Oscars ratings have been bombs because every movie nominated in Best Picture was pretty obscure except for hardcore movie buffs. Gotta have movies people have seen at the Oscars if you want people to watch… unless you’re somehow gonna get Chris Rock and Will Smith to cohost!

I do think it’s a shoe-in for a ton of technical awards like editing/sounds/sound mix. Might be this year’s equivalent of Dune last year (which I thought deserved Best Picture and didn’t even get nominated).
It's been nominated for Best Picture.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been nominated for Best Picture.
I was surprised they didn’t give Tom a nod. Is it the greatest acting performance ever? No, but Maverick brought back people to the damn movies in a movie EVERYONE loved.

He was robbed of a best acting nod.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised they didn’t give Tom a nod. Is it the greatest acting performance ever? No, but Maverick brought back people to the damn movies in a movie EVERYONE loved.

He was robbed of a best acting nod.
For best acting? Yeah I don't think so. I can name a handful of movies where his acting put his depiction of Maverick to shame. He still has a chance to get one as a producer but again that damn Oscar snobbishness. I think he can't keep up this crazy stunt stuff the older he gets. Maybe he will return to some of the more heavy roles as he gets older.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For best acting? Yeah I don't think so. I can name a handful of movies where his acting put his depiction of Maverick to shame. He still has a chance to get one as a producer but again that damn Oscar snobbishness. I think he can't keep up this crazy stunt stuff the older he gets. Maybe he will return to some of the more heavy roles as he gets older.
I don’t think he ever will. That dude has a f’n death wish. I mean, his next movie with Doug Liman they are SHOOTING IN SPACE.

As far as Best Actor.., man, he kinda saved movies with Maverick. The ONLY movies making money before that were marvel or marvel affiliated. He brought EVERYONE back to the theaters. And he WAS Maverick. I think years from now we’ll look back and rethink the best actor noms.

Or I might just be drunk.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I don’t think he ever will. That dude has a f’n death wish. I mean, his next movie with Doug Liman they are SHOOTING IN SPACE.

As far as Best Actor.., man, he kinda saved movies with Maverick. The ONLY movies making money before that were marvel or marvel affiliated. He brought EVERYONE back to the theaters. And he WAS Maverick. I think years from now we’ll look back and rethink the best actor noms.

I had you as high, not drunk. ;)

I can see though looking back and treating this like say the 99 Oscars. I like Shakespeare in Love as a movie but I'd rescore the winners that year.

I'd also say that Maverick and Avatar were the only movies making money last year. A few other MCU movies had box office numbers but most were barely in the green thanks to their budgets. Most of phase 4 was like that. You have to do big numbers to make up for a $250M+ budgets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had you as high, not drunk. ;)

I can see though looking back and treating this like say the 99 Oscars. I like Shakespeare in Love as a movie but I'd rescore the winners that year.

I'd also say that Maverick and Avatar were the only movies making money last year. A few other MCU movies had box office numbers but most were barely in the green thanks to their budgets. Most of phase 4 was like that. You have to do big numbers to make up for a $250M+ budgets.
I was high and drunk.

Everything Everywhere All At Once made really good money for a low budge Film.

And horror movies killed last year and continue to this year.

It’s the “Oscar Bait” movies that seem to have zero theater audience right now. But even those, they weren’t great dramas that had any kind of blockbuster potential. And that audience is usually older and that audience has been slower to come back to theaters.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I was high and drunk.

Everything Everywhere All At Once made really good money for a low budge Film.

And horror movies killed last year and continue to this year.

It’s the “Oscar Bait” movies that seem to have zero theater audience right now. But even those, they weren’t great dramas that had any kind of blockbuster potential. And that audience is usually older and that audience has been slower to come back to theaters.
I'm not into horror so I can't speak to them. That genre has never done much for me outside of a couple title.

Everything... I still need to watch. I'm waiting on my projector to come back for it. Hopefully it'll ship back to me this week.

For the "Oscar Bait" movies, they've been weak lately too IMO. For the last few years none of them have really appealed to me. I really wish we could get the indi-movie scene from the 90s back. I used to live at Camelview Plaza for them.

The noms felt stronger back then. Like I just pulled up 97 as a random year, English Patient, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, and Shine. That list blows away the last few years. Or 93, Unforgiven, Crying Game, Few Good Men, Howards End, and Scent of a Woman. And I'm purposely avoiding 95 which is even stronger.

I didn't like all of the consolidation when it started happening and it looks like my trepidation was justified. At the time I was more worried about the SW and MCUs but indy seems to have suffered just as much if not more.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not into horror so I can't speak to them. That genre has never done much for me outside of a couple title.

Everything... I still need to watch. I'm waiting on my projector to come back for it. Hopefully it'll ship back to me this week.

For the "Oscar Bait" movies, they've been weak lately too IMO. For the last few years none of them have really appealed to me. I really wish we could get the indi-movie scene from the 90s back. I used to live at Camelview Plaza for them.

The noms felt stronger back then. Like I just pulled up 97 as a random year, English Patient, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets & Lies, and Shine. That list blows away the last few years. Or 93, Unforgiven, Crying Game, Few Good Men, Howards End, and Scent of a Woman. And I'm purposely avoiding 95 which is even stronger.

I didn't like all of the consolidation when it started happening and it looks like my trepidation was justified. At the time I was more worried about the SW and MCUs but indy seems to have suffered just as much if not more.
The pandemic was devastating to the movie business. It's going to take time to get it back to what it was -- if it ever will be. Not to mention streaming, which is a MUCH easier distribution model than theatrical release.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I personally think he was screwed multiple times for acting. He is the type of actor that the snobs who run the Oscars hate. He can do a serious acting job and turn around and make a ton of money with a Hollywood action film. He should have won for Born of the 4th of July or Magnolia for sure. He was great in a Few Good Men, fantastic in Jerry McGuire, Rain Man and some others.

Honestly, anybody who has paid attention to his career, not letting his action movies drown out his overall career, doesn’t really need to rethink anything. He can be a great actor. He just doesn’t let the Hollywood snobs dictate his career.

We better enjoy Tom Cruise while we can. Like you said he has a death wish. I think he might be one of the last true Hollywood superstars left.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? I never said this was his best acting role. "Is it the greatest acting performance ever? No" was what I said.

My argument was the dude should have gotten the nod this year, if for no other reason than pretty much single-handedly bringing people back to the movies this year, while being great in the role.

had nothing to do with the rest of his career.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? I never said this was his best acting role. "Is it the greatest acting performance ever? No" was what I said.

My argument was the dude should have gotten the nod this year, if for no other reason than pretty much single-handedly bringing people back to the movies this year, while being great in the role.

had nothing to do with the rest of his career.
No I got that. I am saying this acting job is nowhere near his best work and I really don’t think he should have gotten the nod for his acting in this movie. Especially, compared to many other performances this year. I think this was more of his typical action role. I think the movie getting nominated is exactly what should have been nominated because of the reasons you already mentioned about Maverick.

Having said that, I think the Oscars have long ignored huge box office hit movies and the performances in them. Then the Oscars wonder why the younger generations seem to keep losing interest in them.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pandemic was devastating to the movie business. It's going to take time to get it back to what it was -- if it ever will be. Not to mention streaming, which is a MUCH easier distribution model than theatrical release.

Lots of things contributed to the issues the industry is facing, but definitely the pandemic was the catalyst for everyone to re-think things. Lots of people upgraded their TV's, bought soundbars, and got 'close enough' to the theater experience without paying $10+ for tix and $20+ for popcorn and a couple of drinks. The family of four going to the movies is a real investment these days.

Personally, I have no desire to trek into the theater unless it's really going to be a must-see visually and sound-wise on the biggest screen. I like dramas, rom-coms, etc. too, but zero reason to head to the theater for that.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The issue is bigger than the pandemic. It had been going on for years before. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, at least at the decision making level. Almost everything is a sequel or a reboot and there's not much chance taking. I partially blame the ballooning budgets. It's harder to take chances when you're spending $200-250m. We need more lower and mid-budget movies again.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Holy crap...I just watched this.... was digging it in a nastalgic kinda way right up until the admiral was getting on maverick, telling him what he had to train these guys to do, and Mav said..."and to come home"...it just struck me different and I knew I loved the movie.
I will definitely be watching this again

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I personally think he was screwed multiple times for acting. He is the type of actor that the snobs who run the Oscars hate. He can do a serious acting job and turn around and make a ton of money with a Hollywood action film. He should have won for Born of the 4th of July or Magnolia for sure. He was great in a Few Good Men, fantastic in Jerry McGuire, Rain Man and some others.

Honestly, anybody who has paid attention to his career, not letting his action movies drown out his overall career, doesn’t really need to rethink anything. He can be a great actor. He just doesn’t let the Hollywood snobs dictate his career.

We better enjoy Tom Cruise while we can. Like you said he has a death wish. I think he might be one of the last true Hollywood superstars left.
being a superstar is Risky Business

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Never saw it, and probably never will. Didn't like the first one. But Cruise is a great actor.