Top Gun: Maverick

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With the possibility of 10 nominations, I think there’s an outside chance it gets nominated, but I’ll be stunned if it wins.
Yeah me too, but it will definitely be nominated. No question in my mind. First half of the year, it's the most no-brainer of the contenders.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too, but it will definitely be nominated. No question in my mind. First half of the year, it's the most no-brainer of the contenders.
If the Academy and it’s members are smart, they’ll figure out a way how to get it nominated. The last couple years, the Oscars ratings have been bombs because every movie nominated in Best Picture was pretty obscure except for hardcore movie buffs. Gotta have movies people have seen at the Oscars if you want people to watch… unless you’re somehow gonna get Chris Rock and Will Smith to cohost!

I do think it’s a shoe-in for a ton of technical awards like editing/sounds/sound mix. Might be this year’s equivalent of Dune last year (which I thought deserved Best Picture and didn’t even get nominated).

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
If the Academy and it’s members are smart, they’ll figure out a way how to get it nominated. The last couple years, the Oscars ratings have been bombs because every movie nominated in Best Picture was pretty obscure except for hardcore movie buffs. Gotta have movies people have seen at the Oscars if you want people to watch… unless you’re somehow gonna get Chris Rock and Will Smith to cohost!

I do think it’s a shoe-in for a ton of technical awards like editing/sounds/sound mix. Might be this year’s equivalent of Dune last year (which I thought deserved Best Picture and didn’t even get nominated).
I almost wrote the same thing after reading your posts a couple before this one. WIth the way the rating and public opinion on the Oscars have been going getting it up for Best Picture would be a shot in the arm for the show. I'll give me a little more interest in watching is something I haven't done in years now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Dune not being nominated is a very good point. Surely they can’t be that stupid again, can they?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dune not being nominated is a very good point. Surely they can’t be that stupid again, can they?
I gotta believe being the box office juggernaut Maverick has been will give it that edge it needs to get nominated that Dune didn’t. Maverick was a freaking phenomenon all summer. Dune never broke out that way… and was a little on the divisive side.

I LOVED Dune and was blown away in the theaters by it but I know plenty of people that didn’t care for it. I don’t know a single soul who didn’t at least like Maverick if not outright love it.

Also, there’s a lot of big movies that were likely gonna be contenders this year already pushed to next year like Scorsese’s Killers Of The Flower Moon and a couple others I forget. Not a ton of buzz on the Oscar bait circuit so far this year, but fall festival season is just starting to heat up so we’ll have a better idea in the next month or so if there’s going to be a dearth of contenders that may or may not push Maverick out of the picture.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I gotta believe being the box office juggernaut Maverick has been will give it that edge it needs to get nominated that Dune didn’t. Maverick was a freaking phenomenon all summer. Dune never broke out that way… and was a little on the divisive side.

I LOVED Dune and was blown away in the theaters by it but I know plenty of people that didn’t care for it. I don’t know a single soul who didn’t at least like Maverick if not outright love it.

Also, there’s a lot of big movies that were likely gonna be contenders this year already pushed to next year like Scorsese’s Killers Of The Flower Moon and a couple others I forget. Not a ton of buzz on the Oscar bait circuit so far this year, but fall festival season is just starting to heat up so we’ll have a better idea in the next month or so if there’s going to be a dearth of contenders that may or may not push Maverick out of the picture.
I’m hoping something like Everything Everywhere All At Once will be in the conversation. Considering the lack of quality titles so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping something like Everything Everywhere All At Once will be in the conversation. Considering the lack of quality titles so far.
I’m not the biggest fan of that movie, but my guess is it gets a Screenplay nod and nothing else. That would seem par for the course for the Academy with something that unconventional.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty impressive for an action flick.

You must be registered for see images attach
I've been a lurker with RT for a lonnng time now and I have to say...that's an incredible percentage. We are still on the lookout for the DVD/stream release. But, I've also been an advocate to people for watching audience over critic reviews and it has been a solid strategy. This seems to be quite the conundrum for me now. I was never a fan when both audience and critics agreed so overwhelming.... But it will get done. Lol. The hype is too real...

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Not Top Gun, but Tom Cruise goodness. I'm not always the biggest fan of his movies but I respect the hell out of him for his dedication to the craft and giving us insane stuff that other actors won't.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched this in a tattoo shop. Most of the non action scenes I couldnt hear at all but the action scenes, the training and the finale were all pretty damn epic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Top Gun, but Tom Cruise goodness. I'm not always the biggest fan of his movies but I respect the hell out of him for his dedication to the craft and giving us insane stuff that other actors won't.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I hope it doesn't happen, but he is going to get killed or seriously hurt he keeps doing stuff like this. I think he is an adrenalin junkie. How many more of these things can he keep doing? I give him a ton of credit for going that far for entertainment but man!!!!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Weird. Usually Itunes/Apple 4K are pretty good when it comes to quality. I can't wait to get my hands on the disc.
FYI, a buddy and myself started looking into this last night and found the issue. The movie has it's dialnorm (a metadata key) set to -12 dB so when your AVR plays the audio it turns it down by that amount, ie AVR showing -10 is really playing at -22. If you disable dialnorm the track comes to life.

If you're using a Denon AVR Settings -> Audio -> Surround Parameters and turn off "Loudness Management". The option will only show up when a DD or DD+ audio track is playing. Other brands of AVR should have a similar option but I only have a Denon to have the exact steps.

Thor Love and Thunder has it set too but only at -4.5 so it'll be quieter but not as extreme as Maverick.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
This sounded really good playing out of my Sony HT-Z9F with the SA-Z9R rear speakers.

I don't turn on sound leveling/loudness management anyhow and I specifically turned up the subwoofer a little for this movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, a buddy and myself started looking into this last night and found the issue. The movie has it's dialnorm (a metadata key) set to -12 dB so when your AVR plays the audio it turns it down by that amount, ie AVR showing -10 is really playing at -22. If you disable dialnorm the track comes to life.

If you're using a Denon AVR Settings -> Audio -> Surround Parameters and turn off "Loudness Management". The option will only show up when a DD or DD+ audio track is playing. Other brands of AVR should have a similar option but I only have a Denon to have the exact steps.

Thor Love and Thunder has it set too but only at -4.5 so it'll be quieter but not as extreme as Maverick.
I never turn on loudness management or basically anything that artificially impacts the audio. Good info though for anybody that has that on by default in their AVR.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I never turn on loudness management or basically anything that artificially impacts the audio. Good info though for anybody that has that on by default in their AVR.
Keep an eye on that setting though. It's good to spot check it once in awhile when playing DD+ content. It's been known in some receivers to get turned back on. We've seen something trigger that but I haven't found the exact conditions. It's happened at least once with my Denon due to it either reacting to the flag or Denon resetting it in a FW update. It's a feature I normally have off also. I always turn it and and the "dynamic" settings off.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on that setting though. It's good to spot check it once in awhile when playing DD+ content. It's been known in some receivers to get turned back on. We've seen something trigger that but I haven't found the exact conditions. It's happened at least once with my Denon due to it either reacting to the flag or Denon resetting it in a FW update. It's a feature I normally have off also. I always turn it and and the "dynamic" settings off.

Nerd alert

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I have been lucky with my Denon and I don't get stuff like this with my Onkyo.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First day on streaming. It’s on Paramount+ and also Epix, I believe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First day on streaming. It’s on Paramount+ and also Epix, I believe.

We watched it on Paramount + last night and loved it. Which surprised me because I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and i expected not to like it but it was really good. I wish I'd read this first the sound thing was absolutely there in the streaming, I had to turn the volume up but then parts were too loud.

We also had a weird glitch at the end that I think was the stream itself, as they're flying back to the ship suddenly a blue rectangle appeared vertically in the middle of the screen and stayed there for several minutes. I also could not stop the movie at that point. Eventually it just crashed back to the prior screen and asked if I wanted to resume or start over. I picked resume and it went back about 5 minutes and played flawlessly to the end.

Really good movie though I was quite surprised

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave