Tom Osborne to enter the Academic All America Hall of Fame

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember Nebraska grads/fans: the "N" doesn't stand for Knowledge...it stands for "Nineteen to Nothing!" :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Just remember Nebraska grads/fans: the "N" doesn't stand for Knowledge...it stands for "Nineteen to Nothing!" :D

Not to defend Nebraska, but ASU fans should quit talking about that game.

Every other time we (ASU) have played them (Nebraska), we've gotten our butts royally kicked.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

Every other time we (ASU) have played them (Nebraska), we've gotten our butts royally kicked.

Not to mention the fact the Nebraska has won national titles before and after that game and ASU, by relative terms hasn't been seen since. I love ASU and hate the Huskers - but they have ultimate scoreboard.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Not to mention the fact the Nebraska has won national titles before and after that game and ASU, by relative terms hasn't been seen since. I love ASU and hate the Huskers - but they have ultimate scoreboard.

Exactly.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It is funny you say that. A good friend of mine is from somewhere in Nebraska...some small farming town which doesn't narrow it down much...and one day someone was talking smack about the Devils victory. What he said was very interesting. He said that that win is in the top 10, if not the top 5, of important victories in ASUs football history but that game doesn't even register in the history of top Nebraska losses.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
It is funny you say that. A good friend of mine is from somewhere in Nebraska...some small farming town which doesn't narrow it down much...and one day someone was talking smack about the Devils victory. What he said was very interesting. He said that that win is in the top 10, if not the top 5, of important victories in ASUs football history but that game doesn't even register in the history of top Nebraska losses.

Another post that illustrates a great point. ASU football is pathetic compared to Nebraska football.

It isn't even debateable.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another post that illustrates a great point. ASU football is pathetic compared to Nebraska football.

It isn't even debateable.

IMO, the days of Nebraskas pure dominance is over. They will mostly having winning seasons and bowl bids but there will not be the automatic New Years Day bowl game waiting for them. Their fans will have to get used to Bowl Week bids. The Big 12 is sooo tough now. Arguably the toughest conference in the country although I presonally feel like the SEC is the toughest.

A HUGE difference is the passion the fans have. Nebraska fans are exceedingly passionate. Every bowl game wants them because they travel well while ASU doesn't. The level of apathy by the ASU student body is ddisturbing. This is one of the largest schools in the country and they should be selling out every game. I understand there is more to do sportswise here but the4 passion level seems very low to me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the late 80's we only lost 24-17 and it was about 120 degrees on the field, people were passing out in the stands, etc.

19-0. It's still an important game. How long had Nebraska gone without being shutout before that game? You'll notice that they haven't been shut out since either. ASU dominated them. (I have programs from the game if you're interested...:thumbup: )

Nebraska has the titles but overall they weren't that intimidating. 12-13 in Bowl games under Osborne. In my book that's an overall losing record in the biggest, most important games they played. And Penn St. should be given 1/2 of one of their titles. ;)

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the late 80's we only lost 24-17 and it was about 120 degrees on the field, people were passing out in the stands, etc.

19-0. It's still an important game. How long had Nebraska gone without being shutout before that game? You'll notice that they haven't been shut out since either. ASU dominated them. (I have programs from the game if you're interested...:thumbup: )

Nebraska has the titles but overall they weren't that intimidating. 12-13 in Bowl games under Osborne. In my book that's an overall losing record in the biggest, most important games they played. And Penn St. should be given 1/2 of one of their titles. ;)

12-13 could say 1 of 2 things. You werent that good .500 at best. Or you were good enough to play one of the top teams in the Nation every year every bowl and you won about half of them which means you were among the Nations elite half the time. Looking back it is obvious that the case is that later and that is the what I would prefer as a fan of a team. Also what was the average difference in those 13 losses? And what was the average ranking of those 13 teams? I will answer those questions. The average point difference per loss was 11pts and the average ranking was 3. And 7 of those 13 losses were against top 3 teams 3 of them were the number 1 team in the nation.

The bowl record in itself don't tell the whole story.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points, EndZone. Although all of their losses weren't close games... Nebraska once made me $50 in a bet I had with a co-worker about the Fiesta Bowl. He was a huge Husker fan and I took FSU versus them for $50. FSU spanked them 41-17. :thumbup:

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good points, EndZone. Although all of their losses weren't close games... Nebraska once made me $50 in a bet I had with a co-worker about the Fiesta Bowl. He was a huge Husker fan and I took FSU versus them for $50. FSU spanked them 41-17. :thumbup:

Yes I think 7 of those 13 teams were either Fla. State or Miami.....I wonder why I hate both of those teams ;)

You are correct some of those were NOT close I was rather surprised when I looked up the info...in fact one of them we got blanked. Some of them were close i.e. 30-31 loss to miami. But the point was that 12-13 against top 3 top 5 teams is not bad.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While not a Husker fan, I would also add that alot of those losses seemed to happen while the Huskers were still in the dark ages recruiting wise. When teams like Miami and FSU among others, were recruiting athletes who were blazing fast, Nebraska always seemed to have the slowest teams out there and that IMO was a reason for their lack of success in bowls. Once Osborne decidied he needed to improve the speed of his program while keeping the level of athletes the same, he started having more success and winning championships.

Just an observation...don't know how correct I am but it was always my impression.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
While not a Husker fan, I would also add that alot of those losses seemed to happen while the Huskers were still in the dark ages recruiting wise. When teams like Miami and FSU among others, were recruiting athletes who were blazing fast, Nebraska always seemed to have the slowest teams out there and that IMO was a reason for their lack of success in bowls. Once Osborne decidied he needed to improve the speed of his program while keeping the level of athletes the same, he started having more success and winning championships.

Just an observation...don't know how correct I am but it was always my impression.

That is VERY correct!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
IMO, the days of Nebraskas pure dominance is over. They will mostly having winning seasons and bowl bids but there will not be the automatic New Years Day bowl game waiting for them. Their fans will have to get used to Bowl Week bids. The Big 12 is sooo tough now. Arguably the toughest conference in the country although I presonally feel like the SEC is the toughest.

A HUGE difference is the passion the fans have. Nebraska fans are exceedingly passionate. Every bowl game wants them because they travel well while ASU doesn't. The level of apathy by the ASU student body is ddisturbing. This is one of the largest schools in the country and they should be selling out every game. I understand there is more to do sportswise here but the4 passion level seems very low to me.

The SEC is overall the toughest division in football. They level of athleticism is by far imo, the best. Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, and the rest of the south, put out tremedously gifted athletes.

Part of it is due to the high black population in those states. That's the reason why Arizona's prep prospects are almost laughable: most of the prep prospects are white mormon kids.

The best athletes imo come from (in football): Florida (by a landslide), Georgia, California, and Texas.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The SEC is overall the toughest division in football. They level of athleticism is by far imo, the best. Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, and the rest of the south, put out tremedously gifted athletes.

Part of it is due to the high black population in those states. That's the reason why Arizona's prep prospects are almost laughable: most of the prep prospects are white mormon kids.

The best athletes imo come from (in football): Florida (by a landslide), Georgia, California, and Texas.

Krang the SEC is the deepest conference in the nation. There are some quality teams down there. Teams who finish 4th in their division who could possibly win other conferences. With the possible exception of Vanderbilt, this conference is nails. Miss ST played bad last year but they are still a decent program.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang the SEC is the deepest conference in the nation. There are some quality teams down there. Teams who finish 4th in their division who could possibly win other conferences. With the possible exception of Vanderbilt, this conference is nails. Miss ST played bad last year but they are still a decent program.

My brother is a University of South Carolina alum, so I watch a lot of the SEC.

I would love to see South Carolina play ASU. The Gamecocks would absolutely destroy the Devils, as would most SEC teams.

As you said, pretty much every program in the SEC is competitive except Vanderbilt. :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SEC is an academic joke. That's why they dominate. no other reason. Players don't have to go to class, pass any courses, or do anthing to qualify academically.

Tennessee has something likev a 17% graduation rate for players, and that's with lax record keeping.

However, the SEC does have the best football outside of U of Miami. THEY are the best football program and the single digit wonderlic scores of their athletes explain why very well. And South Carolina has Lou Holtz - fired from Arkansas, left Minnesota in a mess, and fired from Notre Dame.

At least Nebraska, and Penn State, Notre Dame make an effort to educate. most of the rest are a joke. Vanderbilt and Stanford are different. They are a notch above the rest in academics and intellectual honesty.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
The SEC is an academic joke. That's why they dominate. no other reason. Players don't have to go to class, pass any courses, or do anthing to qualify academically.

Tennessee has something likev a 17% graduation rate for players, and that's with lax record keeping.

However, the SEC does have the best football outside of U of Miami. THEY are the best football program and the single digit wonderlic scores of their athletes explain why very well. And South Carolina has Lou Holtz - fired from Arkansas, left Minnesota in a mess, and fired from Notre Dame.

At least Nebraska, and Penn State, Notre Dame make an effort to educate. most of the rest are a joke. Vanderbilt and Stanford are different. They are a notch above the rest in academics and intellectual honesty.

The SEC doesn't graduate engineers and doctors? :D

Believe me I agree with you. It is sad. But from a pure football prespective, the SEC is the best conference in the land. The schools who place academics above sports (shouldn't they all?) generally have less success because they cannot go after the players who...quite frankly...are dumb as bricks and want to play pro sports.

Krang, I love watching Georgia and LSU...always have. I despise Florida and Auburn (always like Alabama in that rivalry). South Carolina is a fun team to watch. I almost did my Masters Degree there...they have a very good history department.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The SEC doesn't graduate engineers and doctors? :D

Believe me I agree with you. It is sad. But from a pure football prespective, the SEC is the best conference in the land. The schools who place academics above sports (shouldn't they all?) generally have less success because they cannot go after the players who...quite frankly...are dumb as bricks and want to play pro sports.

Krang, I love watching Georgia and LSU...always have. I despise Florida and Auburn (always like Alabama in that rivalry). South Carolina is a fun team to watch. I almost did my Masters Degree there...they have a very good history department.

My brother was in the Polit. Sci. program, which is also very good.
Columbia, SC, is actually a really neat city, and I think you do have enjoyed going there if you had gone. The campus, imo, is better than ASU's and their stadium, is 1000 times better than Sun Devil.

Half of my mom's family are Gamecocks, and the other half are Clemson Tigers. :D

I do agree with Skkorp though, but to be honest I think the main reason most players go to college, is to play ball, which is especially true for College Basketball. I might get flamed for this, but I honestly believe a minors system, where players could skip college and get paid a little, might be a better fit in all sports.