Todd Haley Might Be Coming Back

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I heard Bickley and MJ talking about it this afternoon.
The impression I got was this is something they, Bic & MJ, are pushing for and the story is not based in reality.
I believe they are making their own news or at least trying.

Typical, they'd find a home here too.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Agree, he was more innovative and unpredictable, but there are side effects that go with that. It's like a bottle of medicine, and side effects (intangibles), when they tell you your d*ck may go limp for extended periods of time.
You're taking some weird medicine :shock:

Haley demands a lot out of his players, some embrace it, and some don't. He was doing great in Kansas City, Charles became a top 10 RB under Haley, and Cassel improved tremendously during his tenure there as well. Had his team not suffered so many injuries, Kansas City probably would've won the AFC West for the 2nd consecutive year. Some of the most memorable plays in Cardinals history happened while Haley was the OC, so we know what he has to offer.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you certainly don't speak for me in this statement. I though Haley was an excellent play caller and a strong enough personality to be a counter to some of whiz' questionable decisions -- both in-game and during the week.
Sergeants do the work of Sergeants, which is usually correcting poor work in a blunt and forceful manner.

Sergeants doing the work of Captains usually try to do it as a Sergeant. With this approach they fail.

Haley, Singleterry, and men like them are blunt and forceful and for whatever reason they don't work as the top dog. They are however very valuable in a support role.

I'm all for bringing Hailey back. I think the current staff is wearing too man hats.

That said all lot of the AZ media appears to spend a lot of their time making crap up.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you certainly don't speak for me in this statement. I though Haley was an excellent play caller and a strong enough personality to be a counter to some of whiz' questionable decisions -- both in-game and during the week.

F yeah!

We get Haley back, playoffs here we come!!!

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're taking some weird medicine :shock:

Haley demands a lot out of his players, some embrace it, and some don't. He was doing great in Kansas City, Charles became a top 10 RB under Haley, and Cassel improved tremendously during his tenure there as well. Had his team not suffered so many injuries, Kansas City probably would've won the AFC West for the 2nd consecutive year. Some of the most memorable plays in Cardinals history happened while Haley was the OC, so we know what he has to offer.

No no no. Haley is mean and most players don't embrace it. Hell, most general managers and owners don't even embrace it. It's okay to yell at dudes, nobody cares about that, everyone gets yelled at. It's another thing entirely to be demeaning and belittling without knowing what you're talking about. That's what pisses dudes off. When he's talking to Fitz and a few other dudes, it's fine, because they're elite and want to be screamed at and belittled, they pay these ****'s to do it. But you can't belittle and demean everyone you meet. Period. And his schemes weren't all that, you act like he was running the schemes during that SB, when even Larry says, even THIS year, that we're running the same schemes we did in 08 and that's how he knows it works.

(edit: those weren't Haley's great plays they were Whisenunt's, and you only saw them because he (Whisenhunt) gained confidence in Warner and Boldin and Fitz and Breaston and Edge--a confidence, I may add, that he doesn't have in this current group of players, due to their inconsistency, and that's why we haven't seen the creative playcalling, simply because they can't execute basic playcalling)

(addendum to the previous edit: deep down everyone knows that's true)

Last edited by a moderator:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm going Cards Campos on this thread, quitting it like I should quit the marlboro I'm gonna go huff. If homie finds his way back here and gets some say so on offense, I will do the hippie dance. I see a 10% chance of Todd in the summer, and it's probably more hope and beer than reality. I would dig it with a shovel.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When was the last time a guy got canned somewhere and returned to the same staff he left? I am sure it has happened somewhere, but I cant come up with any examples. I have a really had time buying this rumor.

I think the guy is a good coach, and our offense could use some more creativity, but I think his personality might be too abrasive to last in one place long, and maybe too much to comeback to a team he left. The way KC played against Green Bay right after Haley got canned was a pretty strong statement regarding their feelings towards Todd.

At least he wouldnt have to break in a new sweat stained hat.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please. He's awesome as an OC...terrible as a Head Coach and it completely separates Whis from thinking about playcalling (paper OC Miller) and focusing on where he is needed, the HC.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I dunno, he was a decent OC with Warner. Don't really look at him as an upgrade. Many were calling for his head after one of the many blowouts in 08'...

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am not very sure about how Haley would work with our qb's. He did wonders with an established qb that was excellent. Just makes me wonder.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
When was the last time a guy got canned somewhere and returned to the same staff he left? I am sure it has happened somewhere, but I cant come up with any examples. I have a really had time buying this rumor.

Not sure about the last time it happened, but if I remember correctly, Dick Lebeau got canned in Cincinnati and returned to Pittsburgh.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/01/05/talk-of-haleys-return-and-keims-future/

Urban has a good piece about this situation. There's a lot of smoke around here, folks.

I would be all for the move. Whis operates best when someone is around to challenge him, and Haley can be that someone. I also think Haley could maximize the talents of guys like Hyphen and Housler. Look at what Haley did with Moecki last year. And JJ Arrington while he was here. Plus, Fitz loves the guy. We all know how much weight that carries in this organization.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
At the least, he'd be the de facto OC if he returned, but most likely replaces Mike Miller. No way in hell Haley takes a back seat to Miller. None.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about the last time it happened, but if I remember correctly, Dick Lebeau got canned in Cincinnati and returned to Pittsburgh.

Yeah, there is one. I was sure it had happened at some point. But even in Lebeau's case it was 8 years and 2 different teams before he returned. Haley coming back with many of the same people greeting him at the door seems odd. Gotta make him feel like the ol' college drop out .

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Meh. To me, it's not a big deal because Whisenhunt runs the offense,and has since he arrived in Arizona.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I don't get what Miller or Miller does well? I don't get what Whiz does well? Whis is what 40-40 as a head coach? took Denny's players to SB like Gruden took Dungy's team to the SB. Since then We have ranked near last in everything, and i mean everything until the 2nd half of this season.

Whiz was outperformed by most the coaches that got fired last year, The team did better the 2nd half of this season. but as long as the Cards refuse to establish a run game his offesnse will kill QB's, olies and defenses. They can not be consistant nor keep continuity. We had 23 INT's this year! but Beanies 4 lost fumbles in his career is a bigger story!

I see no difference in Haley, would he call plays different without Warner, probably a little, Cards would look a lot like a stinky Chief team. Like we do now- Offense trying to apply pressure to opposing defenses 95% of the time - going 3 and out and Killing QB's, olines and defenses, ST can't get decent avg Field position when your 3 and out 50+% of the time.

The Niners are less talented and handed us are hats- because of these simple facts that people get tired of hearing from me. Whiz is flawed and gave his best effort at balance this year.. near last in rush attempts. look no farther than the Saints top 10 run game to see how their best ever pass game feeds itself, does not starve for run carries.

Haley is addicted to the pass and alergic to the run too. Miller would not be OC for another team, chris Miller couldn't even land a small college job last offseason? That is just true stuff right there,

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Anything that takes the play calling out of Whiz hands is a positive to me.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This would be an absolutely great thing if it happened. Not only is Todd a brilliant and experienced offensive mind, but he pushes players to maximize their potential. The offense lost some steam in 2009 after Todd left even with Kurt Warner still at the controls.

The 2011 Cardinals offense held this team back in so many ways [turnovers, poor third down conversion percentage, hiccups in the red zone, poor starts, yadda, yadda, yadda]. Reemploying Todd Haley is the ultimate no-brainer IMO. The sooner he's back the better.

One added plus, he can help evaluate the AFC free agents his team played against in the last three years. Lord knows Rod Graves can use all the help he can get in that regard.

BRING TODD HALEY BACK TO THE DESERT!!!