Today’s Thought - Hopkins

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Another thing is becoming apparent, Ossenfort is a very patient man. He shows no sign of panic. While others are publishing 10 day deadline speculation, Ossenfort refuses to be moved by the Patriots saying the price is too high. Frankly the price should be high. Speed is not of the essence. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cards waited for some inevitable injury to devastate a contender’s offensive plans. The Cards aren’t desperate for another 2023 pick. Hopkins could be moved after June 1 to spread out the cap hit. He could even be one of those increasingly popular in-season trades. Ossenfort also refuses to let a potential Beckham signing to be used for leverage. Sure it’s possible Hopkins will be traded tomorrow, but if he is it will be on Ossenfort’s terms.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Another thing is becoming apparent, Ossenfort is a very patient man. He shows no sign of panic. While others are publishing 10 day deadline speculation, Ossenfort refuses to be moved by the Patriots saying the price is too high. Frankly the price should be high. Speed is not of the essence. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cards waited for some inevitable injury to devastate a contender’s offensive plans. The Cards aren’t desperate for another 2023 pick. Hopkins could be moved after June 1 to spread out the cap hit. He could even be one of those increasingly popular in-season trades. Ossenfort also refuses to let a potential Beckham signing to be used for leverage. Sure it’s possible Hopkins will be traded tomorrow, but if he is it will be on Ossenfort’s terms.
Agree. He's still a legit top receiver. Marginal one or elite two.

He makes sense for Buffalo. If memory serves he had a good day against Howard the last time we played Miami.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cards are in no rush. They don't need the cap space. They don't really need the picks this year.

Just hold on until someone gets real. Hopkins is worth a 2nd all day every day. At least.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. He's still a legit top receiver. Marginal one or elite two.

He makes sense for Buffalo. If memory serves he had a good day against Howard the last time we played Miami.

If you have a young QB then Hopkins is a safety net. Just throw it his way and Hop will find it.

If your a contender Hop gets you over the line on 3rd/4th down and red zone plays.

All this talk about him not being worth X is ridiculous gaslighting.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolutely. The only event that would make time of the essence is when--not if--Nuk clamors for the new contract and begins to threaten holding out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the honeymoon didnt last long

Really don't get it. Did people really expect Monti to come in and just be taller Steve Keim? Blow all the cap on bandaids. Do nothing to sort out the dire mess the roster is in?

Did they think he was going to wave his magic wand and just put everything right with no pain?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him for a 5th and 6th like some media reports. I'd rather hold on to him, and if he holdouts, so be it.
We have nothing to lose this season because our talent level does not give a chance at having anything significant to win. So, yeah, if D-Hop wants to hold out, he can go knock himself out and do so

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him for a 5th and 6th like some media reports. I'd rather hold on to him, and if he holdouts, so be it.
I have always thought he would garner a 3rd but teams can get desperate to get over the hump when they think they have a shot of possibly going far into the playoffs. Holding out for the right offer might eventually payoff

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is certainly the positive view of the situation. Last year's draft day trades of AJ Brown and Hollywood show that these deals don't need to get done during FA.

Another option is that the FO overplayed its hand while other teams filled their WR vacancies, and now they have significantly less leverage than they anticipated. They could just run DHop out there with Colt McCoy to start the season, but messing with a disgruntled star like that is a dangerous game if you want to attract top-end talent in the future.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
If you have a young QB then Hopkins is a safety net. Just throw it his way and Hop will find it.

If your a contender Hop gets you over the line on 3rd/4th down and red zone plays.

All this talk about him not being worth X is ridiculous gaslighting.
ya know if you you say "gaslighting" three times in the mirror alone in the bathroom, the P+R forum will appear and cut you.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Really don't get it. Did people really expect Monti to come in and just be taller Steve Keim? Blow all the cap on bandaids. Do nothing to sort out the dire mess the roster is in?

Did they think he was going to wave his magic wand and just put everything right with no pain?
No I did not expect him to wave a magic wand and fix everything but so far he has done nothing to improve the roster. We lost our two top free agents and signed no one to replace them. None of our new coaches have any experience in their current position. I also dislike the hiring of college coaches. The NFL is a different game than college football and college coaches rarely work out.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We have nothing to lose this season because our talent level does not give a chance at having anything significant to win. So, yeah, if D-Hop wants to hold out, he can go knock himself out and do so
If he holds out, he still needs to come back by week 10, to accrue his year of eligibility. Honestly, this could easily coincide when Murray may be back and healthy and could really change Hops outlook on the team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I refuse to give our new GM credit for doing nothing in the Hopkins area when he has already received criticism from me for doing BASICALLY NOTHING in the free agency space.

No one knows anything other than what you can specifically point to as already completed. And so far..... this group hasn't done crap to improve the roster or crap to improve the facilities or crap to improve the perception they have within the league.

All I know for sure is that he hasn't done much that can be measured or reported on. And that deserves criticism IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose