Timberwolves @ Suns Friday Playoff game thread 4-26-2024 - Game 3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't because we have no picks.

The hard truth is basically no matter what this team is likely to suck for the next 5 years minimum.
Hmm, I disagree with your first sentence but agree with your second. To me, we only keep it to 4 or 5 years of suckage if we focus on building up our minor league team, improving our scouting at all levels and if we commit to player development.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the number three seed and we are the six seed. They are supposed to win this series. We aren't.
We were favored to win the series in all betting markets.

In fact, this will be the third time Booker loses a series he’s favored to win, on top of blowing multiple 2-0 series leads and complete and utter no shows in humiliating do or die seasons Enders.

What we’re sadly learning about Book is that he’s a front runner and nowhere near a legit #1 for a title contender. And the more that I think about it, he’s really not even a GREAT #2 because he’s so one dimensional and can’t be depended on defensively.

He’s a solid #2, but he’d have to be playing with a dominant big man like a healthy Embiid or Jokic and even there, Maxey gives more on defense and attacking the basket than Book and Murray is just a better shooter, can get to the rack whenever he wants and much more of a playoff clutchtime performer than Book is.

Bottom line… Book is the SG version of Carmelo Anthony. Able to dazzle during the regular season and can even go on some heaters in the playoffs, but he’s not a dynamic enough 1 to build a title contender around. And as he gets older and becomes more exposed in the playoffs and piles up humiliating losses, the bigger question is can he even be a high end #2? Do any of you think Melo could have been a high end 2 on a title winner? Maybe on a one-off type title that Dirk won or a Kawhi won.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't because we have no picks.

The hard truth is basically no matter what this team is likely to suck for the next 5 years minimum.

The Suns need to follow the Miami model in scouting UDFAs and finding hidden gems.

It's no cure, but the Suns have to be better than other teams in finding obscure players worldwide.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In fact, this will be the third time Booker loses a series he’s favored to win, on top of blowing multiple 2-0 series leads and complete and utter no shows in humiliating do or die seasons Enders.

What we’re sadly learning about Book is that he’s a front runner and nowhere near a legit #1 for a title contender. And the more that I think about it, he’s really not even a GREAT #2 because he’s so one dimensional and can’t be depended on defensively.

He’s a solid #2, but he’d have to be playing with a dominant big man like a healthy Embiid or Jokic and even there, Maxey gives more on defense and attacking the basket than Book and Murray is just a better shooter, can get to the rack whenever he wants and much more of a playoff clutchtime performer than Book is.

Bottom line… Book is the SG version of Carmelo Anthony. Able to dazzle during the regular season and can even go on some heaters in the playoffs, but he’s not a dynamic enough 1 to build a title contender around. And as he gets older and becomes more exposed in the playoffs and piles up humiliating losses, the bigger question is can he even be a high end #2? Do any of you think Melo could have been a high end 2 on a title winner? Maybe on a one-off type title that Dirk won or a Kawhi won.
Yep. REGARDLESS OF SEED, the expectations were Title for this team. Anything short of that is a completely failure. The narrative all season was this team was supposed to figure it out by seasons end or at a minimum be a playoff team waiting in the weeds to pounce with our big 3. We are on the verge of getting humiliated yet AGAIN.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns need to follow the Miami model in scouting UDFAs and finding hidden gems.

It's no cure, but the Suns have to be better than other teams in finding obscure players worldwide.
Easy to say, but they are the only team able to do it, and I think it has a lot more to do with their coaching then their scouting, because all those players they "find" go somewhere else and produce at about 50% of the level they played at for Miami.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Easy to say, but they are the only team able to do it, and I think it has a lot more to do with their coaching then their scouting, because all those players they "find" go somewhere else and produce at about 50% of the level they played at for Miami.
I have never given enough credit to a good coach as I do now.

Watching the Suns for the last 5 years has convinced me of the critical nature of choosing not only a good coach but the right one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Erik Spoelstra is an excellent coach, but the players are still out there.

Of course, the Suns hiring the right coach and GM is just as critical.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For a while, I’ve believed you must be a somewhat naive, hopeful 9-18 years old, with your pie in the sky views of everything both Suns and Cardinals, but I recently saw a picture of you on a thread in the Cards section, so I now know you’re an adult. Do you, as an adult sports fan, who has seen decades worth of games, REALLY believe this team, which has been beyond mid all season, has a shot in hell of coming back?

You’ve been laughing at everyone all season who’s correctly identified the major problems this team has. Do you actually still think you’re going to have the last laugh?
He's been a member since 2007 and is called "nashman" how can he be a kid?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

have you ever liked a suns player?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you ever liked a suns player?
Sure. Loved KJ, Majerle, Chuck, Ainge, Finley, Nash, Amare, JJ, CP3, Rex Chapman. Liked guys like Barbs, Jimmy Jackson, Dice. Never liked Jason Kidd. Marion ran his mouth while no showing in the playoffs too much for my taste.

And I liked Cam J, Bridges and really liked Booker, but the repeated playoff humiliations he's been a part of for the last three years (plus an all-time Finals choke job, punctuated by a pathetic close out performance that would become close out game norms for Book) and this year's overall malaise has definitely soured me on him. At this point, after waffling back and forth, wondering if Booker can be a legit #1 to build a title contender around, I think we've seen enough proof in the pudding after 10 years in the league to say decidedly not.

and I don't want this team to become Portland Redux, where Booker plays the Dame role and we toggle back and forth between 6-10 in the West from here to kingdom come. Purgatory is the worst place a franchise can be. So, sell high and start rebuilding with whatever you can, otherwise, we're just delaying the inevitable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always appreciated his dedicated homer attitude. Wish I could see things that way.
You can be a dedicated homer without trolling every critical post with a laughing emoji... especially during a season of suckitude like this one.

And speaking just for myself, I'm more than happy not to have a dedicated homer attitude. I used to have that, but I'd pissed after games we lost. I'm much happier being able to turn off the TV and not have it effect me in the least once the game's over.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I am railing on the players of this team there is still one undeniable thing for me. Any coach worth his salt would still get more out of this team than Vogel. I am not saying this team would be title bound with another coach but I have zero doubt better.

You have one of the most dynamic 3 scorers in the league and the offense stalls frequently. Add Nurk in the middle and some of the best 3 point shooters?!!? It stalls.

Defensively, great defensive coaches can muster at least passable defense even with the most average players. Yet at times we are awful here too.

Vogel is awful.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I am railing on the players of this team there is still one undeniable thing for me. Any coach worth his salt would still get more out of this team than Vogel. I am not saying this team would be title bound with another coach but I have zero doubt better.

Vogel is awful.
+1

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The one thing we can do that can significantly alter this team's landscape (trading our big 3 isn't one of them) is bring in a different coach. Sure, Ish will eat the salary, but we need someone that isn't just another Monty/D'Antoni clone.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

People can say what they want. I am more like Dennis Green. We are who we are. If you are the six seed there's a reason. Pretty much all the sports I watch teams end up basically how they are deserving, unless there's a main guy injured that comes back right before playoffs, etc. Can teams come out of the blue and make a run? Sure. However, looking at it from the Minnesota view, their fans were probably pissed they couldn't beat the Suns because their team was better than ours in the standings.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People can say what they want. I am more like Dennis Green. We are who we are. If you are the six seed there's a reason. Pretty much all the sports I watch teams end up basically how they are deserving, unless there's a main guy injured that comes back right before playoffs, etc. Can teams come out of the blue and make a run? Sure. However, looking at it from the Minnesota view, their fans were probably pissed they couldn't beat the Suns because their team was better than ours in the standings.
Yeah but seeds are impacted by injury schedule etc. Unless you are talking about the 1st seed verses the last seed you are talking inches not miles. It doesn't change the fact that this team had title expectations. Period.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but seeds are impacted by injury schedule etc. Unless you are talking about the 1st seed verses the last seed you are talking inches not miles. It doesn't change the fact that this team had title expectations. Period.
Doesn’t change the fact that Vegas literally had us as betting favorites.

I know because I bet AGAINST that lunacy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn’t change the fact that Vegas literally had us as betting favorites.

I know because I bet AGAINST that lunacy.

Vegas isn’t setting odds on what will happen they’re setting odds against the idiot betting public, the suns record against the spread this year is putrid. Vegas has made a killing on people who don’t realize that the Suns are soulless and gutless.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn