Thunder @ Suns Thursday game thread 12-23-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are 21-0 entering the 4th quarter with a lead.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton didn't even know he had received a technical foul.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton didn't even know he had received a technical foul.

I hope these moments build up for him. He got blocked from behind earlier in the fourth in a spot he easily could have dunked it, he gathered in the blocked ball and slammed it hard, clearly fired up. That kind of physical play feeds on itself.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope these moments build up for him. He got blocked from behind earlier in the fourth in a spot he easily could have dunked it, he gathered in the blocked ball and slammed it hard, clearly fired up. That kind of physical play feeds on itself.

I sure hope so. Ayton started the game so aggressive and then seemed to take a step back until the 4th quarter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Payton is terrible.
This. I know we are squeezing some rest for Paul but the game completely turned when he was in there. Box shows two turnovers for him but I could swear it was four and felt like 10. Thankfully we are good enough to rebound from that stint, but it took a whole lotta time to do so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suns have size and not taking advantage.
This was frustrating to me. Ayton started strong and then played awful until the very end of the game and this may be Javale’s worst game as a sun (though he did seem to alter a lot of shots). We should e crushed that team with our bigs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He learned he couldn’t soft. Now does that lesson stick or will see a replay of that?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
This. I know we are squeezing some rest for Paul but the game completely turned when he was in there. Box shows two turnovers for him but I could swear it was four and felt like 10. Thankfully we are good enough to rebound from that stint, but it took a whole lotta time to do so.
One of the traits of our team is that we HATE losing. We actually hate losing more than we love winning.

Now I can't get into the head of someone else to determine their motivation, but body language can speak volumes. Since Elfrid has been in the league his body language screams that he don't give a poo about winning. He may say he cares, but I highly question that he understands all the work that goes into actually caring.

He's spent his entire career relying on his God given talent and has never once improved on ANY aspect of his game (His crappy career stats are almost identical as his crappy rookie stats... after 8 seasons!!! And that's saying something since he was 42/26/55 his rookie year. He literally had nowhere to go but up and is actually DOWN this year at 39/20/54). Dude just doesn't care.

He doesn't fit on this team... at all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No reason other than garbage time for Payton to see the floor, ever

This team is amazing, but I think our weakest point right now is PG depth. We've shown we have guys who can fill in up front, even if it isn't ideal. But Payton is a drain every time he is on the court. I didn't like the signing when it happened and he has been much worse than I thought he'd be. He does not belong anywhere near a contending team.

If we could trade him for a player like Jevon Carter, I'd be thrilled, even if we had to toss in a 2nd round pick or something. Carter has flaws but at least they have a contrasting skill. Payton's game is just varying degrees of terrible.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is amazing, but I think our weakest point right now is PG depth. We've shown we have guys who can fill in up front, even if it isn't ideal. But Payton is a drain every time he is on the court. I didn't like the signing when it happened and he has been much worse than I thought he'd be. He does not belong anywhere near a contending team.

If we could trade him for a player like Jevon Carter, I'd be thrilled, even if we had to toss in a 2nd round pick or something. Carter has flaws but at least they have a contrasting skill. Payton's game is just varying degrees of terrible.
Really? Everyone thought Carter was a weak link too. Jevon is not a pg. He is a sg who cannot distribute and has a poor handle. I love his defense but Shamet is an upgrade.

Third string pg who will only see minutes when we are leading in games in the regular season. Payton will not sniff the court during the playoffs. This is not a worry IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was frustrating to me. Ayton started strong and then played awful until the very end of the game and this may be Javale’s worst game as a sun (though he did seem to alter a lot of shots). We should e crushed that team with our bigs.

When opponents struggle from the field the Suns should start going inside to put them away rather exchanging outside shots.

The Suns again were settlers early in the game when they could have easily put the Thunder away by going inside.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? Everyone thought Carter was a weak link too. Jevon is not a pg. He is a sg who cannot distribute and has a poor handle. I love his defense but Shamet is an upgrade.

Third string pg who will only see minutes when we are leading in games in the regular season. Payton will not sniff the court during the playoffs. This is not a worry IMO.
Shamet is certainly better but we have not been playing him at pg. I'd be tickled pink of he started playing there over payton.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Payton threw away 2 passes and got his shot blocked in the few minutes he played last night, and that's when the Thunder made their move. Payton doesn't even deserve playing time during garbage time -- which should be reserved for players with potential to get experience.

that 3rd pg spot needs to be filled with someone competent --who, preferably, has more assist-making skills than Cam Payne. Booker taking on more pg duties during our playoff run will be a hamstring-pull waiting to happen.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Payton threw away 2 passes and got his shot blocked in the few minutes he played last night, and that's when the Thunder made their move. Payton doesn't even deserve playing time during garbage time -- which should be reserved for players with potential to get experience.

that 3rd pg spot needs to be filled with someone competent --who, preferably, has more assist-making skills than Cam Payne. Booker taking on more pg duties during our playoff run will be a hamstring-pull waiting to happen.
Yep not a fan of Payton. More negative when he’s on the floor than positive

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose