Thoughts on Cadillac Williams

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The latest talk out of Chicago is that the Bears want to pick Benson. If so I could see the Tampa Bay Bucs taking one of the WRs and passing on Cadillac Williams. Bottom line is that he could be there at #8 when the Cards pick. I'm mixed on him. He is a good runner but not a power back nor is he is speedster like M. Bennett. I wasn't living here in Phoenix when the Cards took Thomas Jones. Some of you on the board have compared Williams to Jones. We all know Jones was a flop here.

What are the thoughts here on taking Cadillac Williams with the #8 pick?
Would this be high risk?

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
az jam said:
The latest talk out of Chicago is that the Bears want to pick Benson. If so I could see the Tampa Bay Bucs taking one of the WRs and passing on Cadillac Williams. Bottom line is that he could be there at #8 when the Cards pick. I'm mixed on him. He is a good runner but not a power back nor is he is speedster like M. Bennett. I wasn't living here in Phoenix when the Cards took Thomas Jones. Some of you on the board have compared Williams to Jones. We all know Jones was a flop here.

What are the thoughts here on taking Cadillac Williams with the #8 pick?
Would this be high risk?

My personal opinion is I would rather have Williams over Benson. About the only real knock on Williams was his size, and at the combine he showed up 12 pounds heavier but hadnt lost any of his speed. One of the biggest reasons I like Williams is his hip movement, he reminds me an awful lot of Barry Sanders in the way he can keep his upper body straight on the field but his lower half can twist and spin keeping him moving forward and still making tacklers miss him.

Course this is all just my opinion.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is hard to put much credence in alot of those reports. Sometimes a team may be truly interested in the player and other times they are trying to scare teams into trading up to get a player they want. It is like a great big poker game right now and you have to determine who is telling the truth and who is bluffing.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Azlen said:
It is hard to put much credence in alot of those reports. Sometimes a team may be truly interested in the player and other times they are trying to scare teams into trading up to get a player they want. It is like a great big poker game right now and you have to determine who is telling the truth and who is bluffing.

I agree with you on that. During the so called draft season don't believe anything that a gm/head coach says. However, I'm still curious on what people think of Cadillac Williams as he could be there at #8.

idahocardsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
i say we pass on williams benson but not brown. draft antrell rolle start Marcell Shipp. william all speed nothing else.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cadillac offers a dimension the other two backs don't - namely that he has speed to the corner, wiggle and home run capability. Something that neither Shipp and Hambrick can give us. Benson and Brown are closer to Shipp and Hambrick in running style.

But if Cadillac and Rolle were both there at #8 (and Henry wasn't going to happen) I'd still be inclined to draft Rolle and shoot for an Arrington or a Sproles in a later round.

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
But if Cadillac and Rolle were both there at #8 (and Henry wasn't going to happen) I'd still be inclined to draft Rolle and shoot for an Arrington or a Sproles in a later round.

:thumbup:

Our CB situation is less settled now that Hill is gone (if true).

However, I think Green stays true to his word and drafts the BPA at number 8 regardless of what postition that BPA plays.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am looking at all of these "team X will take a certain player" stories with a lot of skepticism

It seems every team in the top 5 or 6 would really prefer to move down.

So Miami is a lock for Ronnie Brown at #2? What if that is all posture to get one of the RB hungry teams to trade up?

Chicago loves Benson. What if they really want Braylon Edwards and want teams below them thinking he will last to their pick-- and/or-- try to get a team like TB or AZ to trade up to their spot.

Tampa loves Carnell Williams. Again -- dont want to telegraph to a team like the Vikings that if they want Mike Williams, they better jump up to Chicago's spot to get him. Also, maybe they can get AZ to move up to their spot to get Caddy.

Goodness sakes, Mike Tice said the Vikings could take a RB with their pick. If that isnt the most blatant "lets see if I can get Denny to swap spots with me" posture, I dont know what is.

It seems to me that Tampa is the pick that will determine if a back is available at #8. Half the stuff I see says the TB loves Caddy, the other half says they love Mike Williams. If TB goes Mike W --- I think Caddy will be there at #8.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson