This offseason and my optimism

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
As you all know, I've been a major darksider for the past year or so. I was ready to move on from Keim, disliked the Kingsbury hire, and thought we were lacking in both young and elite talent. But I also said I'd change my tune if the offseason went the way I hoped it could. There's never been a time in my fandom that I've been so negative.

What I see in this team right now is exciting as all hell. This offseason couldn't have answered any of my concerns about the roster in any better way, really. If someone proposed this would happen, I'd have argued for ten pages in any thread - probably multiple - about how it wasn't possible. We resolved just about everything I was concerned about, and made smart football moves, instead of what had appeared to be desperation before.

It was awesome to see Kliff's swaggy house, have people talk about us, and feel like a forward thinking team. I love being a fan of a team that also drafts team captains, and prioritizes character. I have my concerns at C (I'm really rooting for Cole though, I like him a lot) and RB, but we're in a great spot.

This weekend's draft class was really encouraging. Keim played it better than I could have done myself, because I'd have panicked on Benjamin way earlier.

When we get back to football, I think this team is gonna crush it. If it weren't for the hated 49ers, who had a great offseason themselves, I'd have dreams of 1st place in the NFC West.

If this season is played in full with our laid out opponents... I like us for 11 wins. Can't wait.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say we filled our needs but I am just concerned about depth at CB & OLB. By that I mean competent depth as Reddick behind Kennard & Jones is a concern and the #2 CB spot and depth remains a question as we don't know if Alford will return to pre-injury form and I personally cannot name the back up CB's on roster other than Murphy.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As you all know, I've been a major darksider for the past year or so. I was ready to move on from Keim, disliked the Kingsbury hire, and thought we were lacking in both young and elite talent. But I also said I'd change my tune if the offseason went the way I hoped it could. There's never been a time in my fandom that I've been so negative.

What I see in this team right now is exciting as all hell. This offseason couldn't have answered any of my concerns about the roster in any better way, really. If someone proposed this would happen, I'd have argued for ten pages in any thread - probably multiple - about how it wasn't possible. We resolved just about everything I was concerned about, and made smart football moves, instead of what had appeared to be desperation before.

It was awesome to see Kliff's swaggy house, have people talk about us, and feel like a forward thinking team. I love being a fan of a team that also drafts team captains, and prioritizes character. I have my concerns at C (I'm really rooting for Cole though, I like him a lot) and RB, but we're in a great spot.

This weekend's draft class was really encouraging. Keim played it better than I could have done myself, because I'd have panicked on Benjamin way earlier.

When we get back to football, I think this team is gonna crush it. If it weren't for the hated 49ers, who had a great offseason themselves, I'd have dreams of 1st place in the NFC West.

If this season is played in full with our laid out opponents... I like us for 11 wins. Can't wait.

I simply don’t know what to say:) I wasn’t prepared for this moment in time...

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i read this board quite a bit before becoming a member, I've never read a more positive post from you I have to say lol. Impressive optimism there Solar 7. As bad as we were in 2019, if our defense could've made some stops, we could've won 8-9 games? I saw the promise in that right there alone, obviously SK did as well, so he loaded up on defense. Is our defense fixed now? Time will tell but just like you, I'm also excited for 2020 because I feel like we fixed our most glaring deficiency. With our schedule as it is, playing the AFC east should net us at least 3 wins, split with our own division & there's 6, I'm sure we can garner another 3-4 on top of those. I'm thinking 9-10 but your 11 sounds a whole lot better, I hope you're right brother.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Earlier in the offseason people wanted us to build towards next season and hope for 7 wins this year...I said at the time I thought that was a losers mentality and I still think so. I am glad the team wasn’t in that train of thought. Smart player signings, growth of your talent and good drafting can help a team improve significantly in 1 season. Improving by 4-5 wins isn’t unprecedented or out of the question.

I have no idea how many wins to predict but we should at the very least still be in the playoff hunt in mid December.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What KEIM did with 2020 draft capital:

ARIZONA CARDINALS
Round 1 (8): LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson
Round 2: Traded to Texans for D. Hopkins (WO)
Round 3 (72): T Josh Jones, Houston
Round 4 (114): DI Leki Fotu, Utah
Round 4 (131): DI Rashard Lawrence, LSU
Round 5: Traded to Miami for K. Drake (RB)
Round 5: Supplemental: drafted J. Thompson (S)
Round 6 (202): LB Evan Weaver, Cal
Round 7 (222): RB Eno Benjamin, Arizona State

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I'd say we filled our needs but I am just concerned about depth at CB & OLB. By that I mean competent depth as Reddick behind Kennard & Jones is a concern and the #2 CB spot and depth remains a question as we don't know if Alford will return to pre-injury form and I personally cannot name the back up CB's on roster other than Murphy.
I think Simmons changes the game on these concerns. However it’s important to note that defensive studies have shown that a great pass rush allows a team to get away with weaker CB play. Clearly if Jones gets hurt they can’t compensate. Teams always have some weaknesses. You could be correct about where the Cards lie.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Simmons can likely fill in at pass rusher. We could sign a vet cb for depth. Morris Claiborne is available. He is good when healthy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Simmons changes the game on these concerns. However it’s important to note that defensive studies have shown that a great pass rush allows a team to get away with weaker CB play. Clearly if Jones gets hurt they can’t compensate. Teams always have some weaknesses. You could be correct about where the Cards lie.
Agree 100%. That is why I felt Anae or Weaver should have been one of the 4th round picks, I was okay with Lawrence as he is more of a DE in our system. Then we would have had a young pass rusher to bring along and step in if someone got hurt so that our lack of CB depth wouldn't be exposed.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You’re crazy. We’ll be lucky to win 5 games. Kingsbury is a bum.

Tee-hee. It’s hard to believe I can agree with you.

Now let’s go sign Clowney! EGADS!!!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simmons can likely fill in at pass rusher. We could sign a vet cb for depth. Morris Claiborne is available. He is good when healthy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If Kennard or Jones get hurt, I wouldn't think you want Simmons playing OLB full time especially at 230 pounds taking on 300+ pound OT head on.

There are a lot of experienced CB's still on the market, some for good reason.

Logan Ryan - Probably best of bunch but gave up a lot of big plays last year.
Dre Kirkpatrick - Released by CIN a couple of weeks ago. Injuries limited him to 6 games last year.
Eli Apple - Turned his season around after landing in NO, deal with LV fell through so still on market.
Morris Claiborne - Is he healthy?
Prince Amukamara - Hometown guy, stop gap player.
Trumaine Johnson - Injuries have made him a shell of former self, Robert Alford Part II.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Kennard or Jones get hurt, I wouldn't think you want Simmons playing OLB full time especially at 230 pounds taking on 300+ pound OT head on.

There are a lot of experienced CB's still on the market, some for good reason.

Logan Ryan - Probably best of bunch but gave up a lot of big plays last year.
Dre Kirkpatrick - Released by CIN a couple of weeks ago. Injuries limited him to 6 games last year.
Eli Apple - Turned his season around after landing in NO, deal with LV fell through so still on market.
Morris Claiborne - Is he healthy?
Prince Amukamara - Hometown guy, stop gap player.
Trumaine Johnson - Injuries have made him a shell of former self, Robert Alford Part II.
Damn, that’s a lot of washed CBs outside of maybe Prince.

I’d rather just throw Chris Jones back out there. He did admirable job filling in last season.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We argued prior all draft, to it being Simmons and Jones and we both super Happy! Lol F Wirfs and Lamb hahahhahaha

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave