This Is Your Teenager's Brain on Soda

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/10/new-study-teens-may-have-memory-trouble-if-they-keep-drinking-soda

A growing number of doctors and public health experts now see sugar as one of the main culprits behind both widening waistlines and chronic health problems like heart disease and diabetes. But scientists are only just discovering how the sweet substance affects the brain—especially the developing brain. As you might guess, sugar isn't exactly making young people sharper. In fact, researchers at the University of Southern California recently published a study showing a connection between sugar consumption and memory problems....

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Plus lots of sodas have caffeine which is quite addicting and causes physical withdrawal and headaches.

Soda...or anything with sugar/high fructose corn syrup is literally liquid fat.

Drinking these things which are in everything from Soda to Juices is really bad for you.

It even turns meals you would normally burn off into meals you pack the pounds onto because the 'sugar' changes your body's response from one that can properly utilize the food to something where it can't because the sugar changed your the way your body metabolizes the food.

In other words, drinking soda or anything sugary while eating turns that meal into a fat-packer-on-er meal.

Even diet soda's tend to do this, and affect your liver like it is sugar in many ways. Which is why diabetics who drink diet soda are still at risk as well as why people who drink diet soda still are fat.

I suggest watering down some gatorade/powerade if you must have something with sugar.

If you can't break from Caffeine you can drink a soda with Stevia in it. It's called Zevia. It is more expensive though by quite a bit. Tastes a lot like diet, but it's a natural zero calorie sweetener that does not have the same effects on the liver/metabolism that sugary(HFCS) sodas and the man made chemical diet sodas have.

There's also other sweeteners, but I haven't really tried others yet. Did recently get some Monk Fruit sweetener packets, but haven't tried them yet.

Oh also there's lots of other chemicals in soda. Some in Pepsi cause cancer (though it may have been taken out recently) and some of the acid in it eats away at your bones, so not good for osteoporosis. We all know about its effects on teeth.

Switch to drinking water, no soda, no sugary drinks whatsoever. Just water, and you'll probably drop 20-30 lbs in a few months just from that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a soda since February of last year. Don't miss it a bit, but I wish the Cardinals would sell a non-soda option at the fountain. I wanted to buy a Larry Fitzgerald cup yesterday, but didn't feel like paying $7 for a cup of ice. :|

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a soda since February of last year. Don't miss it a bit, but I wish the Cardinals would sell a non-soda option at the fountain. I wanted to buy a Larry Fitzgerald cup yesterday, but didn't feel like paying $7 for a cup of ice. :|

I have an occasional rootbeer or gatorade, thats about it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sugar: The original "gateway drug"?

I like a nice craft bottled soda every now and then for a dessert but that's about it. Boylan's makes an amazing grape.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard