WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Salaam eyes NFL comeback

Ex-Buff will be at CU's pro timing day

By Chris Dempsey, Camera Sports Writer
March 6, 2003

Rashaan Salaam's NFL comeback attempt will have a brief stop in Boulder.

The Heisman Trophy-winning former Colorado running back is scheduled to be among the players present for pro timing day on March 13 on the CU campus.

"I just felt that football is my calling, and for me to give up on it wouldn't be right for me and my family," Salaam said on Wednesday. "So I decided to come down to Florida, get back in shape and try to impress some general managers."

Salaam has been out of the NFL since 1999. He had a one-year stint in Vince McMahon's now-infamous XFL, but hasn't done much since, living in San Diego with his family. Salaam spent four seasons in the NFL, mainly with the Chicago Bears.

He has been working out for the better part of the past three months in Boca Raton, Fla., with former Miami Dolphins wide receiver Cris Carter and numerous other current and former NFL players at the Cris Carter Fast Camp, which is held annually.

Salaam says he's getting to where needs to be in terms of his strength and conditioning.

"I feel good," he said. "I've been having nice workouts."

As a junior at Colorado, Salaam rushed for 2,055 yards and 24 touchdowns on 289 carries en route to winning the Heisman Trophy in 1994. He announced he was leaving school early for the NFL draft and was selected with the 21st pick in the first round by the Chicago Bears.

Salaam rushed for 1,682 yards in three seasons with the Bears, including 1,074 and 10 touchdowns in 1995, his rookie season. However, problems on the field with fumbling the football and away from the field with marijuana ultimately ended his first go-around in the league.

He was also given looks by the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders before falling out of the NFL in 1999. He played for the XFL's Memphis Maniax in 2001.

"I'm a little bit older, a little more mature," Salaam said. "I know the game a lot better. I'm a hungry veteran who's been successful in the league for a year and has a lot to offer to a team."

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
The odds might be against him, but why not take one last shot at it? Tommy Maddox did and now the Cardinals are trying to sign the guy he beat out.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Houdini
The odds might be against him, but why not take one last shot at it? Tommy Maddox did and now the Cardinals are trying to sign the guy he beat out.

Well said.

The guy once had promise, and with the years off, his body isn't as beat up as most his age.

I don't know if we should, but if some team does, they might find a "Tommy Maddox type revival" in salaam.

But at the same time, he probably is washed up. It will be interesting to see if A) he gets signed B) If he does, what he does on the field next season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison