Third & Short

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many third downs have we converted where it's 3rd and short, and we empty the backfield and send 5 receivers? Anyone have that statistic? It doesn't seem to be working to me.. AT ALL. So my next question, is the coach stubborn, stupid, or both? Why does he keep doing the same crap plays that fail over and over again? Why run the ball for a touchdown near the goal line, and the next time we have the ball in a similar location, pass pass pass (all incomplete)? That's making me lean more toward the stupid.

Also - why let Mendenhall run the ball up the middle for no gain over and over and over? It wasn't working. Give the ball to Ellington and have him take it to the outside, where he consistently beats defenders to the edge and moves up field. Then throw in some runs up the middle to loosen up the D.

And the classic question... if the fans see all of these flaws.. why doesn't the coach? There have been 0 adjustment on the offensive play calling since game 1... I think Arians ego won't let it happen. His system works, and he's going to show us that it works, or die trying.

I don't think Arians will last more than 2 seasons here at this rate. He's too stubborn and he's not making good personnel decisions.. the FO already had to go behind his back to trade Levi because he wouldn't stop playing him. The FO wants Williams active to see what he can do. Wouldn't be surprised to see Keim get rid of A. Smith to make that happen.

And my final thought: Arizona needs to bring a power O-line and power run game in order to compete with this division. Arians high flying, intricate routes that don't get receivers open.. is the exact opposite of what we need.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This team may have the worst 3rd down conversion ratio in NFL history.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This. Terrible.

And mostly it's third and long.

In the second half we had some of our patented runs of, -1, 2, -2 and 1 yard runs. Looked just like the years prior.

They displayed a stat last night that the Cardinals are the only team in the NFL that have not converted a third and 10 or longer all season. I believe they have kept that stat intact after last night. It's almost inconceivable for a team to go that long, 28 quarters of play without completing a 3rd and 10+ all season. Simply amazing! Even the hapless Jaguars and Bucs have been able to do that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard