These umps should retire or be suspended

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems the umps are getting worse every year, or it could just be they are not that good. The way the White Sox game ended yesterday is absolute BS.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Gambler

Rookie
Reaction score
The video tape clearly shows the home plate umpire gesturing "out", based on the infield fly rule. (Sticking with the rule book, the umpire does not even have to make a call since the play is dead under these circumstances) And there is no longer a play to call interference on. The second base umpire may have interpreted a technical interference (though not apparent on the replay) but the moment the ball is hit in the air, which is before the runner returns to second, again, the play is automatically dead and the hitter is out. The crew chief has the authority to negate any other umpire call after the infield ball is popped up. What was lacking here was a pause, and an umpire conference to clarify this simple rule. Their failure to do this just adds to the bad reputation umpires already have, especially when it's game-ending.

Gambler

Rookie
Reaction score
The hitter is out, but I don't think the play is dead?
I have read the rule many times and I think you are right. I saw the runner not intentionally blocking the shortstop in any way. Just trying to go back to 2nd base. He did not turn around and block him like an offensive lineman in the NFL. It was just coincidental contact. It didn't matter as the SS had plenty of time to field the ball anyway. The home plate umpire called the IFR immediately and the 2nd base umpire called it interference. I just think if they had conferred, the crew chief may have determined the batter would have been out and the runner at 2nd would not have been called out for interference. Communication was the key. But refs do have a tough job.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, umpiring is a tough job. I read somewhere on here (someone quoted the rule? Or maybe posted it?) that interference is not necessarily an "intentional" act. It is just the act happening. Oh, well. I did not see the play, or review it anywhere.

Edit: I just saw the replay. You are right. That is a horrible call.:barf:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media